Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Delete

ReputationRep:
    2) You upload the files onto the website server.

ReputationRep:
    In general, free domains are rather rubbish and if you were to go about advertising it on say directories for example then no one would accept it or if they did, the visitors to that directory would think it's rubbish since it doesn't have a proper domain name.

It's quite easy to find cheap hosting and domains as well. Your best bet would be to search through this forum here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ and make a post in the right section saying you're looking for hosting and a domain name. If you find one you like then reply to their offer, ask questions etc to make sure you get what you want.

From there, it's relatively straightforward in designing your website.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can afford ~£3 a year! I would recommend buying a proper domain.

ReputationRep:
    co.nr is the best free one

ReputationRep:
    Regarding building the website (from my own experience) I'd massively recommend learning to write the code yourself rather than relying on a html coding program such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver. It is amazing how much unneccessary code gumf that these programs put in, and it only serves to slow the pages down. As long as you've got a fairly good IT grounding then you can begin to learn html fairly easily.

I learnt using the Sitepoint series, first using this (Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS), before moving onto this, (HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS) and this (The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks). I can't recommend these books enough, they've taught me everything I know about web design, and I'm now running my own web design business, making websites for small businesses. Learning it from scratch is the best way in my opinion, first of all because its extremely rewarding AND because you learn how a website works, rather than how Dreamweaver/Frontpage works. Ie, whenever these programs throw up a problem (and they often do!), you haven't got a clue how to fix em.

In addition, if you do decide to learn to write code, then download Notepad++. It's basically a souped-up version of Notepad, geared towards writing html and other coding (and its free!).

If you don't decide to learn code though, for god's sakes go with Dreamweaver. Frontpage is just awful...

ReputationRep:
    I concur. FrontPage is a damn miscarriage of a piece of software. Write your own (X)HTML. It's the only way.

That said, I can't agree to "Designing Without Tables". Tables are valid and useful markup. Just not for layout.

ReputationRep:
    Oh definitely, the book doesn't advocate giving up tables altogether. Tables are the only really viable solution for displaying grouped data, and the book argues as such. The focus of the book is eradicating use of tables for layout alone, as was the web design norm in the 90s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    OK so i wana build my own website to keep me busy over the summer, but i have a few questions you guys could help me with
    1) Does anybody know of a free domain, like instead of .com it .dr etc
    2) If i build my website using say dreamweaver of front page how would i go about making it accessible online for other people (cross that when we come to it?)
    Thanks
    1) you can get a "free" domain at http://www.freedomain.co.nr/ but this does not host the files, it simply redirects the url so it looks like its your own domian.

2) I take it by the term accessible, you mean "let anyone view it" as opposed to what the web developers mean by having an accessible website for people with impaired sight etc.

for the "let anyone view it", you simply save the file as .htm or .html and upload it onto your webhost's server where the files will be put online for anyone to see.

for the latter meaning, there are lots of guides online to create accessible websites. The best way to start is to hand-code your website using HTML (or XHTML) and CSS. If you do create your website using a WYSIWYG editor, than please refrain from MS Frontpage as it is dreadful and stick with Dreamweaver.

Wish you the best of luck with your website; if you ever got any questions, feel free to drop me a PM or ask me

ReputationRep:
    Get a .co.uk domain from 123-reg.co.uk for ~£3 a year then get some hosting such as from tsohost.co.uk, starts at £15 a year. Free hosting is generally slow and unreliable in terms of downtime.

As for coding, I'd use Notepad2 - lighter and slicker than Notepad++

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 9, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.