Facilitating Subjects for Russell Group Watch

divine789
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am in Year 12, almost finished and at the start of the year I took 4 subjects English Lang, Business, Spanish and PE because I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni, however I now want to do linguistics and apply to Russell Group unis and possibly Cambridge. The problem is I have been struggling with Spanish all year and got a C in the end of year mock (I got A's in the other 3) so I've been contemplating dropping it- but it's my only facilitating subject and since I want to do linguistics MFL's are recommened so I'm worried that dropping it will hinder my application. What do you guys think?
divine789
Rep:
?
I have also done an EPQ based on sociolinguistics- but I haven't got my mark back yet
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by divine789)
I am in Year 12, almost finished and at the start of the year I took 4 subjects English Lang, Business, Spanish and PE because I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni, however I now want to do linguistics and apply to Russell Group unis and possibly Cambridge. The problem is I have been struggling with Spanish all year and got a C in the end of year mock (I got A's in the other 3) so I've been contemplating dropping it- but it's my only facilitating subject and since I want to do linguistics MFL's are recommened so I'm worried that dropping it will hinder my application. What do you guys think?
First of all, if you don't mind me saying, it's As and MFLs and never A's or MFL's... It could be pretty bad if you made this mistake on your personal statement for a Linguistics/English Language degree...

Secondly, if you think Spanish will drag your grades down then maybe the best thing would be to drop it. To be honest, if you're really worried about the top universities not liking your subject combinations, you should email the ones you want to go to and ask whether or not English Lang, Business and P.E. would be OK.
divine789
Rep:
?
Thanks for pointing out my mistake, that's quite embarrassing actually. I think I might email them.
(Original post by Quick-use)
First of all, if you don't mind me saying, it's As and MFLs and never A's or MFL's... It could be pretty bad if you made this mistake on your personal statement for a Linguistics/English Language degree...

Secondly, if you think Spanish will drag your grades down then maybe the best thing would be to drop it. To be honest, if you're really worried about the top universities not liking your subject combinations, you should email the ones you want to go to and ask whether or not English Lang, Business and P.E. would be OK.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thanks for pointing out my mistake, that's quite embarrassing actually. I think I might email them.
Sorry for being so pedantic!

Regarding the matter at hand, I think you should be OK with your grades but just make sure with all your chosen universities. If Oxbridge don't give you the answer you want, there's absolutely no problem in going somewhere like Nottingham. I went to Edinburgh which isn't Oxbridge but I had an absolutely wonderful experience!
divine789
Rep:
?
Sorry for being so pedantic! - Don't worry it's fine!
I will definitely take your advice and email them before I make my final decision.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I echo the advice to email potential unis directly for advice on this, since one of your remaining A levels would be PE and I know not all unis consider this to be a very academic subject. At Sheffield uni, for example, it is not on their list of acceptable A level subjects, althought they would accept it in conjunction with two other subjects that are on their list, which include English Language and Business studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (286)
15.2%
The paper was reasonable (1043)
55.45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (407)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (145)
7.71%

Watched Threads