Subject selection at IB Watch

sanjeevhariharan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My daughter has selected the following subjects viz.

For HL
1. English Lit
2. Psychology
3. Biology

For SL
1. French
2. Math
3. ESS

She wishes to pursue Law later in her career.

Q. Do the above subjects fulfill her requirements?
Q. Is History a pre-requisite for Law?
Q. What is the impact if she takes Business Management instead of ESS?
IB PRO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I love the subject selections! Very well-rounded choices, and they do indeed fulfill the IB DP requirements for the full DP. Psychology is a great course for any career, but especially law. History isn't mandatory of all schools, but many schools do ask for it. Cambridge, for example, recommends History for virtually any degree program. What is the reason your daughter isn't taking history?

My first suggestion is to look at university websites directly, and see what specific requirements each have for entering their law program. I would next suggest you ask your daughter why she chose those subjects, and if History isn't important to her, how important is law? Will she take History if it is needed?

As for Bus Man replacing ESS, no impact on meeting the needs of the IB: both are her 'free choice', and meet the criteria.

By way of introduction, I taught English Lit and ToK, was an MYP and DP Coordinator, university counselor and high school principal of IB schools. If you would like more support, please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Rob
(Original post by sanjeevhariharan)
My daughter has selected the following subjects viz.

For HL
1. English Lit
2. Psychology
3. Biology

For SL
1. French
2. Math
3. ESS

She wishes to pursue Law later in her career.

Q. Do the above subjects fulfill her requirements?
Q. Is History a pre-requisite for Law?
Q. What is the impact if she takes Business Management instead of ESS?
sanjeevhariharan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks Rob,

Appreciate your response.

My daughter is unsure on taking History, but very keen on Law. However, we too have dissuaded her as she had not taken History in her 9th & 10th grade IGCSE course. Also the History she's learnt earlier has been restricted to Indian History, That's the prime reason. So the advice she, as also we could have is whether its a good idea to take History now at this stage.

As I mentioned earlier, she is quite keen on Law as a career and to whatever we have researched till date, the requirement of History is not mandatory in US and in a few colleges/universities in the UK.

So, yes, the confusion remains.

As regards to ESS & Business Management, the school is insisting on BM (I presume that's to with shortage of students in the BM course), while she wishes to pursue either ESS or History, as one of the Humanities.

So, any further advice on the above would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sanjeev
(Original post by IB PRO)
Hi,

I love the subject selections! Very well-rounded choices, and they do indeed fulfill the IB DP requirements for the full DP. Psychology is a great course for any career, but especially law. History isn't mandatory of all schools, but many schools do ask for it. Cambridge, for example, recommends History for virtually any degree program. What is the reason your daughter isn't taking history?

My first suggestion is to look at university websites directly, and see what specific requirements each have for entering their law program. I would next suggest you ask your daughter why she chose those subjects, and if History isn't important to her, how important is law? Will she take History if it is needed?

As for Bus Man replacing ESS, no impact on meeting the needs of the IB: both are her 'free choice', and meet the criteria.

By way of introduction, I taught English Lit and ToK, was an MYP and DP Coordinator, university counselor and high school principal of IB schools. If you would like more support, please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Rob
IB PRO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Sanjeev,

I should clarify my earlier comments: UK schools are more likely to prefer History due to their degree programs; the US would be less likely as most students enter uni majoring in any number of things before going on to law school. Many US law schools prefer students come without having had pre-law (they think of them as being less well-rounded). So, I have a question: where does your daughter wish to go to uni? US or UK?

Seeing your response makes me want to recommend she skips History, especially without the GCSEs. DP History requires a great deal of factual knowledge: dates and names and easy recall. Without the earlier baseline she would be at a disadvantage.

As for her Group 3 choice, have you requested a meeting with the DP Coordinator or principal? I would want more information on why she is being told to take Bus Man against her wishes.

In summary, I suggest she skips History, and will have no problem getting into any number of US (even UK) unis, with her ultimate goal of law.

If you want further support, please do not hesitate to ask. I also work with students needing support with uni applications and essay writing (including the Extended Essay).

Cheers,

Rob
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
23.08%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (76)
34.39%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
19.46%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (19)
8.6%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
14.48%

Watched Threads