Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how did people find it, i found it quite difficult, did not know what soverignty meant! llol...

ReputationRep:
    ????

ReputationRep:
    complete and utter crap, yet again edexcel makes a stupid exam. Was on a par with their January **** up where they lost the exam and used a back-up.

Also customer soveriegnty according to Nuffield Economics and Business studies is:
    situation where 'he who pays the piper calls the tune'. Frankly i am really annoyed at what was supposed to be an accessible exam turning into another farce.

ReputationRep:
    Consumer sovereignty came up like once in my notes. I think it basically means consumer demands have considerable power over a company's products (and I stupidly put behaviour too).

And contestable markets!! Is that the ease of freedom of entry/exit or how competitive the market is?

ReputationRep:
    yes contestability is right! but the rest of the paper was pretty hard! which explains why there are low grade boundaries?!!!

ReputationRep:
    It didn't make much difference (boundaries) for my class who having 6 A's and 2 B's before the exam, practices providing similar results, we had one B and the rest D's or lower in the real thing. Dreading the possibility of a similar scenario, although my A still remains secure >.<

ReputationRep:
    everyone in our class messed up customer sovereignty. thought it was something like customer loyalty so people started talking about how everyone likes the vw beetle etc. but i think thats wrong
    rest of it was quite hard too, what did u all put for the last 2 strategies in the 40 marker?
    jeets x

ReputationRep:
    i completely *****d it up!

the only question i could answer properly was the one on contestable markets, and i rote like 2 pages for the 40mark cos i run out of time.

worst exam so far, i think its really blown my chances for getting into the uni i want cos i need a C overall at least and i really honestly think i got about an E in that paper and im gonna do rubbish in the one on friday aswel i can see it!

ReputationRep:
    This was actually a fairly straight forward exam.. Had i not been focusing on my A lvl Maths, that i took previous to this one, i reckon i could of got an amazing grade.
    As it stands im thinking I improved a bit over my mediocre C grade in Jan.
    The 40 marker was actually fairly simple, and the question on consumer soverignty i should of done alot better on, as that term has cropped up alot for my class over the year of study. Question 1 was ok, but again, with my Maths exam previous, i had a semi mental block. Question's 2 and 4 were the easiest, with Question 5 being a fair question.
    Hopefully ill get enough, so that there is no real pressure on me by the time the Unit 5/6 test comes along next week.

ReputationRep:
    Grease did you have yours remarked? I was originally on a C in Jan it was marked down to a D. While the 40 marker was accessible i feel that the entire exam will have the same problem as January, far to focused answers on the mark scheme for what can be essentially broad perspectives from students. the Consumer Sov question i still cant find a decent explanation in my notes so rather annoyed.

Nitin my strategies were outsourcing abroad (China/India), and research and development i.e. Hybrid Suvs.

ReputationRep:
    I took this in Jan got a C and was predicted an A and apparantly there were 8 marks between me and the girl who got an A in the class? :confused:

Anyway I feel the questions are too vague, so much could be written. For my two strategies I did, diversifcation into new markets with R&D eg environmental cars etc and divestment of failing brands (aston martin, jaguar) for a capital injection and linked this to further product development. Also spoke in that bout oil prices and the risks with environmental cars and the small market at this time.

Consumer sovreignty I spoke about consumer perceptions and how behaviour affects demand

Contestability I spoke about chinese easy entry but argued that they have quality faults and are not as established brand wise. How's everyone feeling bout Unit 5 this friday? the 13th yikessss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sourcesgal)
    I took this in Jan got a C and was predicted an A and apparantly there were 8 marks between me and the girl who got an A in the class? :confused:
    The grade boundaries are really odd for (at least) Edexcel. The gap lessens with each grade jump down. 10 marks difference in FP1 and I got an E whereas someone else got a B :rolleyes:

-
    For the 40 marks, I put "sticking to the knitting" as Ford had done (very d'oh moment there) - and luckily added in a tiny bit about perhaps investing in new "greener" models. The other one was to restructure the whole company - cutting costs where possible and be ruthless. A friend and I discussed the exam afterwards and we both though of China/India, but then noticed the question said "regain market share".

ReputationRep:
    hey! .. i managed to get this exam done! .. and youll are right, the questions were quite vague. in the 40 mark essay.. i mentioned that the american manufacturers could merge (reasons: share costs, time in resarch and development, etc and .. mentioned the downside along it!) my second argument was based on, copyin and imprving over the japanese products.. just like china is doing, but basically,take an importance in concentrating in quality and target a number of market segments for which there is an acutal demand for the product, and so with this, the american manufacturers are able to RE-gain market share. mentioned competitive advantage and other key terms aswell. However, i didnt get much time in writing a good evaluation, soo i guess the grades will not get so high. apart frm that and consumer sorveiginty.. it was ok!

ReputationRep:
    after looking after all of your comments, i feel that the grade boundaries will be low...as in prev years !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redders)
    Grease did you have yours remarked? I was originally on a C in Jan it was marked down to a D. While the 40 marker was accessible i feel that the entire exam will have the same problem as January, far to focused answers on the mark scheme for what can be essentially broad perspectives from students. the Consumer Sov question i still cant find a decent explanation in my notes so rather annoyed.

Nitin my strategies were outsourcing abroad (China/India), and research and development i.e. Hybrid Suvs.
    I did exactly the same for the 40 marker, and i believe pretty much everyone else did the same also.
    Whilst sometimes the marks scheme's (in the past) have been far too focused, I particularly believe this for Unit 2. The questions all seemed to lead to all but a few possible responses.

Question 1) Had to talk about unemployment effects, 2nd one was a bit tricky, but it was ultimately agreed by my class and teacher that another suitable answer would be to help companies/workers gain efficient techniques (in a non Autocratic workplace for future placements).

Question 3) I talked about it being a consumer orientated market, and in that a market with vast choice (in whole) manufacturers will have to develop cars around consumers changing needs (think Prius and rise of Ethical Consumerism), but it is to the extent at which there is firstly a profit signalling mechanism, so that these manufacturers can make a profit, or that through Risk Analysis can have a suitable chance of building a product that may be involved in a possible high growth/lucrative market in the short future.

Can't remember 2 and 4 properly, but i know one was something to do with the extent at which price is important for a manufacturer, and contestability.

ReputationRep:
    grade boundaries r usually well low for this paper, bt a thers like 4marks between grades which is crazy!!
    i did this paper in january - did pple find the june 1 easier thn jan?

also is there a unit 5 thread for this exam?? the one with the 3 options...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCK_Party Queen)
    grade boundaries r usually well low for this paper, bt a thers like 4marks between grades which is crazy!!
    i did this paper in january - did pple find the june 1 easier thn jan?

also is there a unit 5 thread for this exam?? the one with the 3 options...?
    yes there is, but just post here. how did u find unit 5? with the 3 options. i though it was hard. so did most people inmy college. unit 4 - i didnt do it in january! but again i thuogh it was hard now! lol

ReputationRep:
    i did option 1 and 2
    wt did u do?
    i found it quite hard tbh
    i found the questions wher u had to choose btween the 2 a bit tricky
    last yr unit 5 grade boundaries were low, u reckon the same this year?? i hope so lol

ReputationRep:
    yer i rekon they will be fairly low! i hope so anyway too! lol, and yes the questions were a tad tricky :|

ReputationRep:
    i rekon grade boundaries will be low. the three options was quite hard aswell, i did options 1 and 3, i knew what to write but as usual my time management just killed any chance of me getting a good grade!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.