The Student Room Group

A Levels at 16/17/18 in an awkward situation

Hello! If anybody could help me in this situation it would be very much appreciated. I got my GCSE’s in August 2018 and to my expectation they were pretty average. I was planning to do A Levels at a Sixth Form but was denied for the subjects that I wanted to do because of a dreadful GCSE maths result that impeded me to study further into the courses that I was intending to do. I was planning to study English Lang and Lit, Psychology and Biology at A Level. However, I did get a U in the higher paper of GCSE maths.

Currently, I am finalising my studies in a BTEC Applied Science course at a college but I still really want to do English, Psychology and Biology at A Level! I believe this would further me into university as well as the fact that I love English and I’m interested in learning psychology. Therefore, is there any possibility for me to do this such as perhaps taking a gap year to do GCSE maths? I’m really short on ideas and I feel like there is such limited amount of time for me to finalise my studies at all at this rate without GCSE maths. Thank you, in advance.
Thanks for joining in the conversation.
Your message is just being checked by a member of our moderation team.
Once it's approved, your reply will be visible to everyone on this discussion.
Original post by YasminYxyz456
Hello! If anybody could help me in this situation it would be very much appreciated. I got my GCSE’s in August 2018 and to my expectation they were pretty average. I was planning to do A Levels at a Sixth Form but was denied for the subjects that I wanted to do because of a dreadful GCSE maths result that impeded me to study further into the courses that I was intending to do. I was planning to study English Lang and Lit, Psychology and Biology at A Level. However, I did get a U in the higher paper of GCSE maths.

Currently, I am finalising my studies in a BTEC Applied Science course at a college but I still really want to do English, Psychology and Biology at A Level! I believe this would further me into university as well as the fact that I love English and I’m interested in learning psychology. Therefore, is there any possibility for me to do this such as perhaps taking a gap year to do GCSE maths? I’m really short on ideas and I feel like there is such limited amount of time for me to finalise my studies at all at this rate without GCSE maths. Thank you, in advance.
Thanks for joining in the conversation.
Your message is just being checked by a member of our moderation team.
Once it's approved, your reply will be visible to everyone on this discussion.

Why take a gap year to do maths? I was under the impression you would retake the maths GCSE alongside A level choices. At least that’s what happens at my school in sixth form. I’m pretty sure somewhere will take you, it depends on your grades for GCSEs for the subjects you want to do. Maths resists are in November so maybe start looking into it! :smile:

Quick Reply