Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the title says it all.

I think you can get a license 3 months before you turn 17 but what about actually learning and taking lessons?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You can get your license three months before your 17th birthday but you can't actually start driving and taking lessons till you're 17.

ReputationRep:
    17. i thought everyone knew that? although apparently they are thinking of changing it . ..

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    You have to be 17 to get proper lessons, but I think you can do some stuff when you're 16, but they won't let you do much and it will probably be a waste of money. If you really want to pass quickly I'd say get one of those how-to-pass CDs and sit your theory test like a day after your birthday and book lessons before you turn 17, and then you could learn to drive and pass your test in about 3 months if you've had enough lessons and you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a disability you can drive at 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    You have to be 17 to get proper lessons, but I think you can do some stuff when you're 16, but they won't let you do much and it will probably be a waste of money. If you really want to pass quickly I'd say get one of those how-to-pass CDs and sit your theory test like a day after your birthday and book lessons before you turn 17, and then you could learn to drive and pass your test in about 3 months if you've had enough lessons and you're ready.
    Like what? Book your theory test is about the only thing I can think of

ReputationRep:
    yeah, as yosrush said. I was going to do that and then failed miserably on saving my money so i couldn't afford to do it lol. When you're 16 you are allowed to drive on private land, or if you are classed as "disabled or differently abled( i think the term is now)" you can drive when your 16. Otherwise, its 17 before you can have lessons with an instructor or drive on public roads with someone who is over 21 and been passed 3 years, making sure you're insured on their car. But i would defo recommend getting a theory cd now, and getting that passed asap so you can concentrate on your actual driving. The CD rom ive got is called "Driving Test Success. All Tests" Make sure you get a 2007+ one though as the theory has changed the amount of questions. Also, a highway code would be useful and is a must read apparantly but this cd rom ive got has it on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Like what? Book your theory test is about the only thing I can think of
    Drive on private roads lol

Other than that, no there all i can think of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n_251)
    Ok, the title says it all.

I think you can get a license 3 months before you turn 17 but what about actually learning and taking lessons?

Thanks in advance
    If you know someone who owns some private ground and someone'll let you borrow a car (your 'rents or something) then you can learn the basics on a private road. I did that and it was really helpful because it cut down on the number of lessons I needed, so I saved money and passed pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    OMG that is SUCH a good idea! I'm taking my theory this summer! So if you book the theory test, how long is it until you take it? Wouldn't have to wait for months would you?

And you can learn to drive when you're 16 on private land but not proper lessons til you're 17. Have a feeling they're gonna move it to 18 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x Kelly x)
    Drive on private roads lol

Other than that, no there all i can think of
    Yeh but you can do that at any age, provided you have a car to do it in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fi0na.)
    And you can learn to drive when you're 16 on private land but not proper lessons til you're 17. Have a feeling they're gonna move it to 18 though
    You can learn to drive on private land at any age.

ReputationRep:
    I swear this got asked like 2 days ago

ReputationRep:
    I believe that if you are driving on private land you can learn from the age of 3 or maybe even less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    I swear this god asked like 2 days ago
    What God asked? I can't believe I missed an appearance by a God on TSR :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x Kelly x)
    yWhen you're 16 you are allowed to drive on private land
    since the land is not a public road, the road laws do not apply.
    so anybody can drive on private land.

but i dont need to, i passed my test ages ago

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    How many lessons have people had until they passed?
    I've had about 14 so far, don't think I'm anywhere near =[

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.