Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I know i'm really underweight (which i hate) and am trying to put on weight. The thing is i have real difficulty with food and tend to skip lots of meals especially through the week (i rarely eat lunch and have light breakfasts and dinners). I just seem to be able to focus better when i haven't eaten much and when i do eat meals in the day i tend to feel really sluggish.

As a result though i often feel very light headed all through the week, a bit spaced out! As i want to gain the weight i then usually just eat thousands and thousands of calories at the weekend when i'm not doing much else so i can just cram it in. I can gain like 6pounds in one weekend doing this (but then i lose about 5 during the week) but when i do this 'binging' i end up in physical agony, i can't lie straight and my stomach feels sore and tender for a day or so after. Its not even healthy food, i eat like tons of crisps, chocolate, litres of ice cream etc. I know its not healthy but its like i'm just stuck in this cycle.

I know my relationship with food is unhealthy and am now slightly concerned for any health effects (i'm guessing shrinking my stomach then stuffing it can't be doing me any miracles!). I'm just so confused as to how to regain a healthy relationship with food. I'm 5ft4 and weigh about 6 and a half stone, i hate being 'scrawny' but cant seem to let go of old habits
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried talking to a doctor or a dietician? Maybe try and convince yourself to eat lunch more often...even if it's just something light..just get prepare your body...and find other things for the weekend comfort that are perhaps much lighter on the stomach...maybe hat way it wont make you feel so unwell :s

Hope you find a solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charli88)
    Hey

I know i'm really underweight (which i hate) and am trying to put on weight. The thing is i have real difficulty with food and tend to skip lots of meals especially through the week (i rarely eat lunch and have light breakfasts and dinners). I just seem to be able to focus better when i haven't eaten much and when i do eat meals in the day i tend to feel really sluggish.

As a result though i often feel very light headed all through the week, a bit spaced out! As i want to gain the weight i then usually just eat thousands and thousands of calories at the weekend when i'm not doing much else so i can just cram it in. I can gain like 6pounds in one weekend doing this (but then i lose about 5 during the week) but when i do this 'binging' i end up in physical agony, i can't lie straight and my stomach feels sore and tender for a day or so after. Its not even healthy food, i eat like tons of crisps, chocolate, litres of ice cream etc. I know its not healthy but its like i'm just stuck in this cycle.

I know my relationship with food is unhealthy and am now slightly concerned for any health effects (i'm guessing shrinking my stomach then stuffing it can't be doing me any miracles!). I'm just so confused as to how to regain a healthy relationship with food. I'm 5ft4 and weigh about 6 and a half stone, i hate being 'scrawny' but cant seem to let go of old habits
    xxx
    Putting on weight is going to be a slow process, just like losing weight. If you want to do this healthily, somehow you are going to have to learn to accept that it might be difficult, harder, but you should not be binging and doing what you are doing. It could result in serious health risks.

You need to be seeing, well what can i eat today that is going to provide me with good nutrients (not fatty high calorific food like McDonalds), but not in huge huge portions. Try having some cereal for breakfast, or some toast, then try to get some fruit in about 11, then maybe have a salad with some fish or chicken for lunch, then some more fruit, or maybe a few crackers, and then dinner (something with lots of vegetables and chicken, or pasta is quite good). The idea is to eat little and often, just so your body can adjust to it.

You are feeling unwell because your body can not take the amount of resources you are providing it with. You need to make a slow progress so your body gets used to this change, and if you want long term benefits, that is what you need to do. Also, with any dramatic change in diets go to see your GP first.

Edit: It seems it's not what you are eating, but the fact you eat so little. So even low calorie stuff will make your stomach bigger so you will be able to eat more.

ReputationRep:
    you need to get a balance to your diet, eating so much in one go is bound to make you ill especially with eating ice cream etc. its difficult at first but if you try and eat breakfast every day even if not that hungry then your body will get used to eat and you will begin to want to eat it. do it slowly though have three meals a day but not large portions and over time your body will be expecting food at these times. this will help you gain weight. go see a doctor aswell they can advise you!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hmm thanks for the advice, i'm gunna definately see if i can make more of an effort this week.

Thing is i'm often doing things during the day so its hard to stop and focus on 'having a meal'. My mum gets really angry when i eat all the food at the weekend though so i probably should get over this, especially before i start uni!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's really unhealthy to binge regularly, so just try to slowly increase portion sizes if you can

ReputationRep:
    What kind of stuff are you eating to try and put on weight? I don't suggest stuffing your face with fatty foods and junk food, that could be why you are feeling sick?

Instead, eat lightly like you say but try to include every food group into your meals. And eat more frequently, even if it's just a small meal really try to eat lunch or something. To be honest, even if you were to just change the way you ate but didnt put on weight I think you'd be a lot healthier than you are right now by stuffing your face and not eating certain meals, it's really not good for you to do that.

With every meal (if you eat meat) try to include a portion of meat or fish, or if you don't want meat get some pulses or quorn in there instead. Always have some vegetables with your meals, if you get frozen ones from tesco or something then they are always handy and you can jst microwave/hob/steam them whenever you want. I dfind these really nice to snack on as well. Make yourself light lunches to take to school/work with you and make yourself eat it, even if it's only a salad (it should eally be more substantial than this but start small and work up, maybe a sandwhich or something with salad and veggies/some form of meat).

Eat as much fresh stuff as you can, what do you nomrally have for breakfast? If it's a sugary cereal then also have a glass of orange juice with it (this will help you to absorb iron easily) and a banana or an apple withit. If you really can't stomach a whole fruit in the morning, then either have porridge, and grate and apple/slice banana into it, OR make it into a smoothie to drink along with your breakfast. Porridge also helps you to add some carbs to your diet which are essential, and if you want to put on weight you could do with more carbs then empty calories from things like ice cream etc.

Hope that helps

Ps. Ohh and make sure you snack lots! Not on rubbish - on fresh thing, or dried fruit or sorbets made of pure fruits etc. That will help you to put on weight as well. Just do it slowly, and don't stuff your face - stop eating before you feel full it might help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.