The Student Room Group

Morning after pill side effects

I dont' think there is a really similar thread so I thought I'd tap in my worries on here to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

An accident happened during sex last sunday so I took the morning after pill (for the first time) the following morning. I began to feel dizzy and kept nearly throwing up afterwards but those symptons seemed to stop. I then started bleeding 'down there' on wednesday but it only lasted for a morning.
Then, this morning it seems I have started my period...but it isn't supposed to be due for around another 3 weeks.. and it seems different aswell because the blood is a llot lighter in colour and usually my period hurts, but today it doesn't..?

Is this serious or even if it isn't, what's happening to me? I looked in the booklet that came with the pill and it had nothing about this...?
Thanks for all help.
And please don't say why didn't I ask my doctor, I don't know if its serious enough to bother the doctor for..
Reply 1
Please help me I'm starting to get really worried!!!
Reply 2
i would go and see your doc whether its serious or not ... its obviously bothering you and thats what doctors are there for.

sorry couldnt be much help.

x x x

GO and see and doctor! .. im sure its nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry.
Reply 3
I never felt sick or dizzy. Did you actually throw up? I do remember coming on my period though after I used the morning after pill, I think sometimes it just has that effect. But that doesn't mean to say that just because it happened to me that it's normal. But if you come on your period then you know you aren't pregnant, so i'm sure thats the only thing you are concerned about. Unless of course you are having serious side effects other than your period?
Reply 4
I felt a bit sick, but that was all. I definitley didn't come on.
Reply 5
Yeah they do say that there are those sick and dizzy side effects and my friend had them. I'm not sure about the period thing but maybe it would be best to put your mind at ease to just go and see a doctor about it. or ring the NHS helpline thing.
Reply 6
You're fine,the same thing happened to me years ago when i took it. I got the spotting and then my period came early, that's how it works.. it gets rid of any egg that may have been fertilized by forcing your period and thus the lining of your uterus to shed (taking any egg with it).

The nausea may or may not even be related, but drugs have allkinds of side affects and since you didn'tthrow up the pill, you'll b fine.
Reply 7
Don't worry. I also had a sort of period. You should also get your 'normal' period after this 'fake' one. I think the bleeding you're getting now is just your womb sort of evacuating everything in there...?
Reply 8
Oh and I also got nausea and feeling faint too.
Reply 9
Ok thank you so much.
Reply 10
Couple of things... for future ref if you throw up within about 4 hours of taking the emergency contraceptive, it might not be effective, and you might need to take another.

In your case it sounds like it's still done something.

Your period pains are likely caused by your ovaries releasing an egg (particularly if you get the pain in your sides a few days before your period starts every month). This time, it is unlikely you've just released an egg as it's not been too long since the last time, and so you will not have your period pain. This is nothing to worry about and is normal for your circumstances.

Through the month your uterine lining builds up, if you're not pregnant you loose this lining and it comes out as your period. If it's not been long since your last period, there may well just not be quite as much there. So your period might be lighter and seem different.

In a nutshell, it sounds like you've not got anything to worry about.
Anonymous
I dont' think there is a really similar thread so I thought I'd tap in my worries on here to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

An accident happened during sex last sunday so I took the morning after pill (for the first time) the following morning. I began to feel dizzy and kept nearly throwing up afterwards but those symptons seemed to stop. I then started bleeding 'down there' on wednesday but it only lasted for a morning.
Then, this morning it seems I have started my period...but it isn't supposed to be due for around another 3 weeks.. and it seems different aswell because the blood is a llot lighter in colour and usually my period hurts, but today it doesn't..?

Is this serious or even if it isn't, what's happening to me? I looked in the booklet that came with the pill and it had nothing about this...?
Thanks for all help.
And please don't say why didn't I ask my doctor, I don't know if its serious enough to bother the doctor for..

it dont think it sounds too serious however some people react badly with the morning after pill but that would include fainting and such, if you have any particular medical conditions (i cant remember which) then you shouldnt take it

however i think what you have described is just your bodies reaction to the huge amount of hormones youve taken (the pill) it will always afffect different women differently...because all of our bodys are different!

the morning after pill will usually bring your period on earlier tha usual and it may be different to usual...basically your body is a little confused about whats going on but it'l sort itself out in the next cycle or so.

its not abnormal to feel sick and so throw up and feel dizzy, again its just your body's 'wtf?!' reaction to the pill! your biggest concern however would be whether the pill was able to work properly since you may have thrown it up, but the bleeding suggests that it did. however it wouldnt be a bad idea to check with a pregnancy test in a couple of weeks..

i cn see why you may not want to bother with getting an appointment with the doc, so alternatively you could call the 24 hour 'NHS direct' helpline
0845 4647 though make sure you have the information of the pill you've taken ready

hope any of this is helpful!
Reply 12
I felt horribly sick and got my period about 3 weeks before I should have, and from what I've heard that's relatively normal.
Reply 13
Seriously OP, don't worry. I was so embarrassed as I took the morning after pill then woke up the next morning to find blood everywhere. My period wasn't due for 3 weeks, went a bit hysterical, my boyfriend had to phone his mum to make sure it was 'normal' and I wasn't dying or anything :p:

It sounds like it's worked fine.
What's worrying me is that most of you have said you've bled not long after taking it...
I took it last Sunday after an accident, felt sick and sleepy when I took it and felt a bit crampy the day after, but I've just gone back to normal. No bleeding, no spotting, no other weirdness (I'd only finished my period a week earlier as well. Not enough lining to go?)

Anyone else out there not bled after taking it?
(sorry OP, might have hijacked your thread a weenie bit here, but I thought I'd ask since there's a thread going on the MAP anyway).
Reply 15
Pink_Crayon_Eater
What's worrying me is that most of you have said you've bled not long after taking it...
I took it last Sunday after an accident, felt sick and sleepy when I took it and felt a bit crampy the day after, but I've just gone back to normal. No bleeding, no spotting, no other weirdness (I'd only finished my period a week earlier as well. Not enough lining to go?)

Anyone else out there not bled after taking it?
(sorry OP, might have hijacked your thread a weenie bit here, but I thought I'd ask since there's a thread going on the MAP anyway).

Actually most don't bleed and continue on having their periods as expected. So don't worry. Not everyone is the same and a minority will have a little bleeding, this is just one of the possible normal possible responses.
Reply 16
Touche
Actually most don't bleed and continue on having their periods as expected. So don't worry. Not everyone is the same and a minority will have a little bleeding, this is just one of the possible normal possible responses.

What he said.

Thanks for your rep earlier Touche - couldn't PM you to tell you!
Touche

Cheers, Touche.
Got a bit worried for a moment then.
Reply 18
same thing happend to me. its something to do with the hormones in the pill reacting to the hormones in ur body. i ended up having 3 periods in 6 weeks, which was not fun. it does effect everbody differently. I went on the pill, so i wudnt have to take the morning after pill agen. too much hassle

Latest