New York, New York!! Watch

Peter North
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys

well myself and 3 mates are off to new york the 16th june for 7 days

We have bought a city pass, got a tour booked, have our accom and flights sorted

Was just wondering if anyone has any tips, is there anything we should be seeing aside from the main attractions? Your own experiences etc?

geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just go for a wander around Times Square at some point, it's amazing.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My mate bought a hell of a lot when he went, so you might not want to pack your suitcases to the brim...
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by geetar)
Yeah do that, but only go in the night...it's not worth seeing in the day
sheena18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i never had new york down as a top destination for a lads holiday!
i went a few yrs ago, so stuff i'd recommend:

Coldstone Creamery (in times square) - AMAZING ice cream place, the cues go outside (even in winter) and they sing and dance while they serve u and the ice creams are something out of heaven.

of course times square is wicked in itself, and there's loads of theatres near there, so maybe go and see a play e.g. wicked?

go to little italy/chinatown - they're both in the same area for good places to eat out and random shops

for shopping (i dunno if ur too interested in that though lol):
go to macy's and the surrounding roads near Macy's have all the main shops e.g. victoria's secret, zara, footlocker.....

if u dont mind venturing out, get a bus from port authority bus station and go to new jersey, they've got a huge shopping town there, called woodbury common where everthing is factory price, plus in the summer u'll have extra sales!

if pressed for time, dont bother going to Bloomingdales. its crap

the best view of NY (if u cant get to statue of liberty or the rockefeller centre) was on the subway and its when you're going from central NY to brooklyn, you get to go over the bridge and see all the lights at night.

ummm, thats about all i can remember for now!
Peter North
Rep:
?
(Original post by geetar)
My apartment is on times square!!
rdu11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Peter North)
My apartment is on times square!!
oh my gosh thats wicked!!

Well. have you thought about going on one fo those tour buses.. the red ones..
When I went there thats what we did and its really good because it takes you round most of New York.

And i agree, got see a play/musical or something on Broadway. Its truley brilliant and then at the same time you get to see Broadway and Times Square at night and the amount of people around is bizare!!

Also at night, I would suggest Grand Central Station.

Erm.. Oh and you gotta go to like Planet Hollywood or Rock Cafe for an evening for a meal to get that american experience as it were!!

Oooo! I really want to go to NY again now!!

Hope you have a great time!!
Peter North
Rep:
?
(Original post by sheena18)
i never had new york down as a top destination for a lads holiday!
i went a few yrs ago, so stuff i'd recommend:

Coldstone Creamery (in times square) - AMAZING ice cream place, the cues go outside (even in winter) and they sing and dance while they serve u and the ice creams are something out of heaven.

of course times square is wicked in itself, and there's loads of theatres near there, so maybe go and see a play e.g. wicked?

go to little italy/chinatown - they're both in the same area for good places to eat out and random shops

for shopping (i dunno if ur too interested in that though lol):
go to macy's and the surrounding roads near Macy's have all the main shops e.g. victoria's secret, zara, footlocker.....

if u dont mind venturing out, get a bus from port authority bus station and go to new jersey, they've got a huge shopping town there, called woodbury common where everthing is factory price, plus in the summer u'll have extra sales!

if pressed for time, dont bother going to Bloomingdales. its crap

the best view of NY (if u cant get to statue of liberty or the rockefeller centre) was on the subway and its when you're going from central NY to brooklyn, you get to go over the bridge and see all the lights at night.

ummm, thats about all i can remember for now!

Well to be honest id rather go see new york then spend the week getting drunk, and we've got it pretty cheap

Shoppings awesome will be doing a lot of that How far to this new jersey shopping place? Are there any similar factory outlet thingys in manhatten? Could do with the cheap clothes!

Ice cream place sounds cool, where bouts is it?

Cheers
Amy_J
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well to be honest id rather go see new york then spend the week getting drunk, and we've got it pretty cheap

Shoppings awesome will be doing a lot of that How far to this new jersey shopping place? Are there any similar factory outlet thingys in manhatten? Could do with the cheap clothes!

Cheers
If you have a bit of time a shop called "Century 21" is pretty big and has lots of good deals on clothes, designer etc. It's near where the WTC was but all the taxi drivers will know where it is. Be prepared to spend some time searching around it for what you want, though.

Macy's which you doubtless already know about I also found to be pretty good, and all clothes even in places like that will seem cheap compared to over here anyway.
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
53rd and 6th chicken and rice. you will not understand until you've experienced it first hand. you'll be able to tell which one it is by the long lines. they set up in the evening and close at 4am, get the lamb/combo and rice for 6 bucks. lots of white sauce, easy on the hot sauce. solid. they even have a website (it's a street vendor!)

btw woodbury outlet is in new york state not new jersey.

broadway/off-broadway shows are *really* good

i'd avoid little italy--generally not authentic, touristy and overpriced

for cultural flavour i'd say flushing in queens--better chinatown than the manhattan one imo. also jackson heights in queens is like a little 'india town'.. got some amazing, cheap food (eg 7/8 bucks all-you-can eat, GOOD indian food) and bhangra shops

i'd also look out for concerts going on at the time

prince street is good for clothes shopping, bunch of stores like H&M, american eagle, old navy, uni qlo
Peter North
Rep:
?
cheers for the advice guys, will check out the clothes places

how much are the broadway shows on average then? I think we get a little discount with our new york pass..

As for travelling around, whats best, bus, taxi, walk, subway?
Amy_J
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
cheers for the advice guys, will check out the clothes places

how much are the broadway shows on average then? I think we get a little discount with our new york pass..

As for travelling around, whats best, bus, taxi, walk, subway?
I'd say walking or if it's some distance away taxi - they aren't expensive at all over there and are plentiful at all times.
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
subway, 4 bucks return trip.....
Peter North
Rep:
?
whats the subway like at night?
Cherry Black
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, me and my sister went to NYC back in February, it's unforgettable!
It can be incredibly intimidating, but I guess it depends what you're used to.
Subway is fine, at all hours. You get the odd nutter, but they're more entertaining than anything. Would definitely agree that getting the subway over the bridge gives you an amazing view- I absolutely loved it. Got lost in Brooklyn for a few hours, which was awesome actually, it's a completely different world to Manhattan. You must walk over Brooklyn Bridge too, I'm assured the view is amazing, but when I did it, there was a blizzard!
I did the Empire State at night and The Rock during the day, both of which I would recommend (the elevator in The Rock is something else...) but the "official photos" are a rip off.
Take the Staten Island ferry past the Statue of Liberty rather than going to the statue itself, it's free, and you can see it better.
Chinatown is a bit naff, but good for bargains I guess. The Village is brilliant if you enjoy watching drag queens sashay about the place.

Oh, tip for you, don't jump in a cab and yell "FOLLOW THAT CAR!" most of the cabbies are foreign and won't understand you unless you speak v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Think that's all I can remember, have a fantastic time!!
sheena18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Cheers
i agree, if ur going to be drunk the whole time, you might as well be in england lol!

woodbury common is about 1hr 20 mins tops - and someone else posted saying its in NY state, not new jersey so its even nearer than i thought! i think its prob on the border then.
coldstone creamery is near Loewes cinema in times square, though people will direct u to it.
enjoy ur trip!!!

oh and the subways fine, i went with my sisters and we used it late at night, i think if you stay in public places u can easily stay out late and not worry - especially in times square, at 2am it feels almost like daylight because of all the lights!
Peter North
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cherry Black)
Hey, me and my sister went to NYC back in February, it's unforgettable!
It can be incredibly intimidating, but I guess it depends what you're used to.
Subway is fine, at all hours. You get the odd nutter, but they're more entertaining than anything. Would definitely agree that getting the subway over the bridge gives you an amazing view- I absolutely loved it. Got lost in Brooklyn for a few hours, which was awesome actually, it's a completely different world to Manhattan. You must walk over Brooklyn Bridge too, I'm assured the view is amazing, but when I did it, there was a blizzard!
I did the Empire State at night and The Rock during the day, both of which I would recommend (the elevator in The Rock is something else...) but the "official photos" are a rip off.
Take the Staten Island ferry past the Statue of Liberty rather than going to the statue itself, it's free, and you can see it better.
Chinatown is a bit naff, but good for bargains I guess. The Village is brilliant if you enjoy watching drag queens sashay about the place.

Oh, tip for you, don't jump in a cab and yell "FOLLOW THAT CAR!" most of the cabbies are foreign and won't understand you unless you speak v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Think that's all I can remember, have a fantastic time!!

We are not easily intimidated so thats all good, its just ive heard stories of the subway being dangerous at night..

about the empire state at night, which do you think would be better, day or night?

Whats the rock?

cheers
Peter North
Rep:
?
i agree, if ur going to be drunk the whole time, you might as well be in england lol!
woodbury common is about 1hr 20 mins tops - and someone else posted saying its in NY state, not new jersey so its even nearer than i thought! i think its prob on the border then.
coldstone creamery is near Loewes cinema in times square, though people will direct u to it.
enjoy ur trip!!!

thanks

did you go to manhattan mall?
estherbh
Report 10 years ago
Century 21st...very cheap clothes store....with lots of desinger goods in...next to ground zero
also dont bother going to the statue of liberty...just get the satin island ferry past it (this is free) and u get the view...which is better than standing underneath it
have fun
your going to love it!
x
Peter North
Rep:
?
oh and the subways fine, i went with my sisters and we used it late at night, i think if you stay in public places u can easily stay out late and not worry - especially in times square, at 2am it feels almost like daylight because of all the lights!

sorry for another question lol,

im staying about 2 blocks from times square, will it be really noisy? I guess it will be :P
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (331)
45.34%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (227)
31.1%
I don't have an opinion (172)
23.56%

Watched Threads