Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any past questions, or know where i can find past papers for Philip Larkin A2 edexel eng literature. ive been reading his poems, but i dont know what im reading for, are teacher gave us one past question. any help will be appreciated thank you

ReputationRep:
    I do Larkin but for AQA (exam was yesterday ). I looked on the Edexcel website (man, how confusing is it? :confused:) and found these, but dunno if this is the exam you do:

LARKIN: The Whitsun Weddings (Faber)
    Either:
    (a) ‘Although Larkin is often detached and cynical when observing the world around
    him, his poetry displays tenderness when dealing with emotion.’
    Explore this idea, using ‘Broadcast’ and at least two other poems in your answer.
    Or:
    (b) ‘Larkin seduces his readers into his own dingy world of boredom, self-pity and
    disgust.’
    Analyse at least three poems in the light of this assertion.

Anyway, go here and type in your centre number:
    http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/

ReputationRep:
    ty

yes, the edexcel site isn't student friendly at all

ReputationRep:
    oh man i've got a thousand of these. let me know if you still need some.

ReputationRep:
    i do still need them, if you can send or post them pls

ReputationRep:
    June 02

a) Many of LArkin's poems reveal a powerful sense of remoteness from the world in which he lives.

How do you agree? You should base your answer on an examination of 'The Importance of Elsewhere' and at least two other appropriate poems of your choice.

b) 'What Larkin's poetry reflects is not so much class snobbery as a distaste fo all things synthetic.'

To what extent does this fit with your reading of the poems? You should base your answer on an examination of three or more appropriate poems of your choice.

Jan 03

a) 'Larkin's poetry often starts in the common place wrld of the twentieth century but ends in the abstract and the uncertain.'

Using in your answer an examination of 'Ambulances' and at least two other poems, explore this reading of Larkin's poetry

b) 'Larkin's poetry frequently expresses a tension between his justification of isolation and a longing for community.'

How far do you agree? You should base your answer on an examination of at least three poems.

June 03

a) A critic has argues that Larkin reveals in hsi poetry an impoverished view of human posibilities.

How far do you agree? You should include in your answer an examination of 'Dockery and Son' as well as at least two other poems.

b) Larkin preserved a distance between himself and others; he said that he felt and intense need to be on the outside edfe of things.'

In the light of this statement, explore Larkin's poetic treatment of 'distance'. In your answer you should refer to at least three poems.

Jan 04

a) 'the poem set up a conflict between a person's desires and the realities of life.'

Using Mr.Bleaney as a starting point, referring at least two other poems, consider how usefuk you find this comment in studying Larkin's poetry.

b) Larkin himself said : 'I should hate people to read my work because they've been told to and told what to think about it. I really want the readers to feel yes, I've never thought of it in that way but that's how it is.

Explore the impact of Larkin's poetry in the light of his hopes about his readers. Refer to at least three poems in your answer.

July 04

a) Larkin is often thought as a gloomy poet, describing the world around him in a drab and depressing way. Yet this is only one half of Larkin.

Explore this idea, using the poem 'The Whitsun Weddings' as a starting point and examining at least two other poems.

b) Poetry has been described as 'afresh look and a fresh listen'. Larkin's work fits this description; it challenges what society normally takes for granted.

Examine at least three poems in the ligth of this claim.

June 05

a) Larkin's poety is a lament for lost innocence - there is a sense that the world was a better place, once.

How far do you agree? In your answer you must examine 'MCMXIV' and at least two other poems.

b) 'We never understand poetry if we think that poets are simply talking about themselves and their everyday experience in the world that they live in. This is especially so with Larkin. Each poem presents us with a persona, a pareticular voice. To understand the poem we need to understand the persona.'

Examine at least three poems in the light of this observation.

this is all i've got. sorry for all the typos! was typing this in a rush. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandora7)
    June 02

a) Many of LArkin's poems reveal a powerful sense of remoteness from the world in which he lives.

How do you agree? You should base your answer on an examination of 'The Importance of Elsewhere' and at least two other appropriate poems of your choice.

b) 'What Larkin's poetry reflects is not so much class snobbery as a distaste fo all things synthetic.'

To what extent does this fit with your reading of the poems? You should base your answer on an examination of three or more appropriate poems of your choice.

Jan 03

a) 'Larkin's poetry often starts in the common place wrld of the twentieth century but ends in the abstract and the uncertain.'

Using in your answer an examination of 'Ambulances' and at least two other poems, explore this reading of Larkin's poetry

b) 'Larkin's poetry frequently expresses a tension between his justification of isolation and a longing for community.'

How far do you agree? You should base your answer on an examination of at least three poems.

June 03

a) A critic has argues that Larkin reveals in hsi poetry an impoverished view of human posibilities.

How far do you agree? You should include in your answer an examination of 'Dockery and Son' as well as at least two other poems.

b) Larkin preserved a distance between himself and others; he said that he felt and intense need to be on the outside edfe of things.'

In the light of this statement, explore Larkin's poetic treatment of 'distance'. In your answer you should refer to at least three poems.

Jan 04

a) 'the poem set up a conflict between a person's desires and the realities of life.'

Using Mr.Bleaney as a starting point, referring at least two other poems, consider how usefuk you find this comment in studying Larkin's poetry.

b) Larkin himself said : 'I should hate people to read my work because they've been told to and told what to think about it. I really want the readers to feel yes, I've never thought of it in that way but that's how it is.

Explore the impact of Larkin's poetry in the light of his hopes about his readers. Refer to at least three poems in your answer.

July 04

a) Larkin is often thought as a gloomy poet, describing the world around him in a drab and depressing way. Yet this is only one half of Larkin.

Explore this idea, using the poem 'The Whitsun Weddings' as a starting point and examining at least two other poems.

b) Poetry has been described as 'afresh look and a fresh listen'. Larkin's work fits this description; it challenges what society normally takes for granted.

Examine at least three poems in the ligth of this claim.

June 05

a) Larkin's poety is a lament for lost innocence - there is a sense that the world was a better place, once.

How far do you agree? In your answer you must examine 'MCMXIV' and at least two other poems.

b) 'We never understand poetry if we think that poets are simply talking about themselves and their everyday experience in the world that they live in. This is especially so with Larkin. Each poem presents us with a persona, a pareticular voice. To understand the poem we need to understand the persona.'

Examine at least three poems in the light of this observation.

this is all i've got. sorry for all the typos! was typing this in a rush. hope this helps
    the past paper qs here are great thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    oh hell no! somebody just neg rep me for typing out all that past paper questions on Larkin :mad: :mad: :mad:

you're welcome!!

ReputationRep:
    ahh sorry, it was me, i was ment to give a positive rep ... ill give u a pos rep 2morro...sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omni1)
    ahh sorry, it was me, i was ment to give a positive rep ... ill give u a pos rep 2morro...sorry
    LOL don't worry about it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.