Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know why people overclock? like whats the point? why risk damaging your hardware for a minute increase in speed or whatever the benefits are?

ReputationRep:
    LOL you cant measure the difference in a "minute" overclock a system well and you will have a big difference...for example quad core 2.4ghz costs about a 1/4 of a 3.0ghz quad..why bother paying extra for what is simply the same chip when you can just overclock it? Also thats like saying why do people who tune cars risk their engines to tune up cars to get a few secs off their 0-60 times...

ReputationRep:
    when tuning cars its a little different as its not as delicate!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick168)
    when tuning cars its a little different as its not as delicate!!

thats the biggest peice of bull**** iv heard...how is it not as delicate..im not on about little badboys in their corsas..im on about proper tuning..engines are constantly at risk of blowing with every little tweak..take it too far and it could and normally does go bang..

ReputationRep:
    Why pay more for something when you can get it cheaper? And the risk isn't always so high, the C2D e2140/e2160's were known for getting good overclocks (2.8-3ghz) quite easily with no damage done.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt a minute speed increase.. I've gained about 900mhz on my amd opteron when i oced it (was a lot in the time of amd64) Also youll only damage it if you apply too much voltage + dont have the resources to cool an oced chip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofgods)
    LOL you cant measure the difference in a "minute" overclock a system well and you will have a big difference...for example quad core 2.4ghz costs about a 1/4 of a 3.0ghz quad..why bother paying extra for what is simply the same chip when you can just overclock it? Also thats like saying why do people who tune cars risk their engines to tune up cars to get a few secs off their 0-60 times...
    The word minute means "Small", or "Diminuitive", mate.

And generally most modern hardwares clockspeeds, when carefully bought (for low power, undervolted, low die cut, underclocked or especially stable) and coupled with sufficient power and cooling, can be forced through about a 20-30% increase in speed before breaking point - often with excellent choice up to a 60% increase in power. (Because 4GHZ doesn't nessecerily equal a 2x faster pc than a 2GHZ, **** like cache, ram, fsb, and other bottlenecks come into factor.

Its actually very hard to fry chips also, if you're not a moron.

ReputationRep:
    I quite easily took my E6400 from 2.13 to 3.2, that's a 50% performance gain and it not even pushing it too much. If I wanted I could quite easily go further, I know someone who has theirs at 3.52.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    The word minute means "Small", or "Diminuitive", mate.

And generally most modern hardwares clockspeeds, when carefully bought (for low power, undervolted, low die cut, underclocked or especially stable) and coupled with sufficient power and cooling, can be forced through about a 20-30% increase in speed before breaking point - often with excellent choice up to a 60% increase in power. (Because 4GHZ doesn't nessecerily equal a 2x faster pc than a 2GHZ, **** like cache, ram, fsb, and other bottlenecks come into factor.

Its actually very hard to fry chips also, if you're not a moron.
    Thats my point its hardly a small increase..overclocking my 8800GT was the difference between playing crysis on 1920x1200 on low settings to highest settings..hardly a tiny difference

ReputationRep:
    no offense, topic creator, but it really doesn't strike me like you actually know that much about overclocking. In your head, you seem to be way overstating the risks and understating the benefits.

ReputationRep:
    but if there is so much potential in overclocker why do the manufacturers "underclock" so to speak in that some people say that they can increase output by 30% and its still stable??

ReputationRep:
    oh also a problem i may as well ask since i have a few professionals here, i have a computer (spare) that sometimes doesnt turn on (as in the monitor doesnt turn on) now i dont know if its the boot or the graphics card. but when i restart the whole thing it works??

ReputationRep:
    oh also a problem i may as well ask since i have a few professionals here, i have a computer (spare) that sometimes doesnt turn on (as in the monitor doesnt turn on) now i dont know if its the boot or the graphics card. but when i restart the whole thing it works??
    make a new thread.

ReputationRep:
    but if there is so much potential in overclocker why do the manufacturers "underclock" so to speak in that some people say that they can increase output by 30% and its still stable??

To make money duh:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So they can sell inferior and superior models without actually having to spend money on making two different products.

A bit like the Mini One and the Mini Cooper. They both have the same engine however the Cooper is more powerful than the One. They've just restricted the power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    So they can sell inferior and superior models without actually having to spend money on making two different products.
    It's also sort of a guarantee. You pay more, you get a guarantee that it will run at a higher speed. If it doesn't you can get your money back. If you pay less, you don't get the guarantee at that speed and if you overclock it and it breaks you get nothing.

Apparently there is often a difference in quality during the manufacturing process. Some batches aren't as high quality so are less likely to work at higher clock speeds. So they get sold as the lower model. As the chip becomes more mature and their manufacturing process gets better this doesn't happen as much and the quality is more consistant. Even so they need to fill the lower end of the market so some chips will be clocked at a lower speed even though they are probably capable of the same speeds as the high end ones.

ReputationRep:
    i read that overclocking gives you maximum 2-3% increase in perfomance unless you waste a lot of money on high end motherboards and cooling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's also sort of a guarantee. You pay more, you get a guarantee that it will run at a higher speed. If it doesn't you can get your money back. If you pay less, you don't get the guarantee at that speed and if you overclock it and it breaks you get nothing.

Apparently there is often a difference in quality during the manufacturing process. Some batches aren't as high quality so are less likely to work at higher clock speeds. So they get sold as the lower model. As the chip becomes more mature and their manufacturing process gets better this doesn't happen as much and the quality is more consistant. Even so they need to fill the lower end of the market so some chips will be clocked at a lower speed even though they are probably capable of the same speeds as the high end ones.
    Yep i got told this aswell both the lower speed and higher chips are the same ones off the same line...its just because no chip is ever the same (i.e why you cant have a exact guide to overclocking) they just use the less able ones for lower speeds

ReputationRep:
    lol, why do you think...

all the above reasons + what a great way to sell a chip; before the 6600 came out (dual) it was all ready known that it overclocked like a beast....and all system builders wanted them and they flew off the shelves....great marketing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UAG)
    i read that overclocking gives you maximum 2-3% increase in perfomance unless you waste a lot of money on high end motherboards and cooling
    If you overclock by 2-3% then yes, that is all the increase you get. If you overclock by 25% then you can get up to a 25% performance boost. However, you are not just limited by your CPU clock, you are limited by memory throughput, I/O, etc. And the amount you can overclock is limited by the other components in the PC. Memory is usually the biggest sticking point. More expensive motherboard and memory does allow you to increase the performance and this is why people buy them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.