daeho14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
My plan is to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I found the last maths paper quite hard. Would it still be okay for me to do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology instead?
blueberryba
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Depends what you want to go into within the medicinal area
Laycity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by daeho14)
My plan is to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I found the last maths paper quite hard. Would it still be okay for me to do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology instead?
No problem with those choices unless your heart is set on Cambridge/Oxford who prefer Maths/Physics.
daeho14
Rep:
?
(Original post by blueberryba)
I want to eventually become a paediatrician
daeho14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laycity)
No problem with those choices unless your heart is set on Cambridge/Oxford who prefer Maths/Physics.
Okay then!! I was hoping for some in London like imperial and ucl
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
OP a thread has been created specifically for stuff like that https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422

As @laycity said, there is no preference for vast majority of medical schools - just choose any subject which you think you are most likely to get an A* in!

No it doesn't! No one in specialty training looks at your A-Level subject choices!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
blueberryba
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No it doesn't! No one in specialty training looks at your A-Level subject choices!
Oh interesting! I was told to be a doctor you have to have maths, chemistry and biology A levels 😕
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh interesting! I was told to be a doctor you have to have maths, chemistry and biology A levels 😕

Whoever told you that is wrong.

Read this for the actual information: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
blueberryba
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Whoever told you that is wrong.

Read this for the actual information: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
It must be recommended then if it’s not a necessary thing. I thought you had to have at least chemistry and biology though
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It must be recommended then if it’s not a necessary thing. I thought you had to have at least chemistry and biology though
Yes, at least Chem or Biology (or both).

Have you read the PDF file or the TSR thread that I linked? All the information is there so there's no need for debate.

Cambridge would prefer Maths - but it's a preference not a requirement.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
blueberryba
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh yeah I’m not debating just wondering out loud, sorry! That’s great then, didn’t know that
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
check uni websites.. some require bio chem + maths/science whereas others don’t
drprval
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey I'm in U6 and I applied to medicine (firm choice is st Andrews):

- most, if not all, uni will ask for chemistry and at least an A. I haven't come across a UK uni that doesn't ask for an A in chem
- Biology is incredibly useful, quite hard work but if you're into medicine it will give you some essential foundations
- most unis ask for chemistry plus one other science, this can be maths/physics/biology or some accept psychology as a science, they will specify if they do or don't. but if you're not sure email admissions
- if you're on the fence about maths, *don't do it*, just some personal advice. maths this year has been a bit of a disaster. I was really confident in GCSE maths and I did ad maths as well, yet U6 maths has just been very difficult. if you want to spare yourself, definitely take psychology instead.
- some uni like your third to be a humanities (e.g. Brighton and Sussex) but that's not necessary if it's not your thing

personally I am taking chem, bio, maths and PE. PE has been a godsend as it's biology but a bit simplified plus some basic movement physics and some history/politics which makes it interesting.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
not sure, i suspect it will be fine but you could always email some Uni admissions tutors and ask their opinion (just be careful how you word the message, and they will be honest and let you know exact implications).

I would say medical degrees aren't easy and i wouldn't recommend picking a levels just because you struggle now, pick the path for best preparation and put the extra work in, if you want it enough you can make it happen, push through adversity not side step it. good luck!
blueberryba
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by drprval)
hey I'm in U6 and I applied to medicine (firm choice is st Andrews):

- most, if not all, uni will ask for chemistry and at least an A. I haven't come across a UK uni that doesn't ask for an A in chem
- Biology is incredibly useful, quite hard work but if you're into medicine it will give you some essential foundations
- most unis ask for chemistry plus one other science, this can be maths/physics/biology or some accept psychology as a science, they will specify if they do or don't. but if you're not sure email admissions
- if you're on the fence about maths, *don't do it*, just some personal advice. maths this year has been a bit of a disaster. I was really confident in GCSE maths and I did ad maths as well, yet U6 maths has just been very difficult. if you want to spare yourself, definitely take psychology instead.
- some uni like your third to be a humanities (e.g. Brighton and Sussex) but that's not necessary if it's not your thing

personally I am taking chem, bio, maths and PE. PE has been a godsend as it's biology but a bit simplified plus some basic movement physics and some history/politics which makes it interesting.
U6 maths? What’s that if you don’t mind me asking..? 🥺
drprval
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
upper sixth, last year of UK secondary education before university
U6 maths? What’s that if you don’t mind me asking..? 🥺
blueberryba
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
upper sixth, last year of UK secondary education before university
lol didn’t know it was called that, thanks!
drprval
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
haha that's ok, some schools call it year 13 if that helps
lol didn’t know it was called that, thanks!
blueberryba
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
haha that's ok, some schools call it year 13 if that helps
yeah that’s what i know it as, just generally called sixth form with year 12 and 13
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
27.06%
No (124)
72.94%

Watched Threads