Driving in USA Watch

Typhoon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
In my 2nd year (2009-10) I'll be spending my first semester living with my mum in America as she lives 30 miles from the uni I'd be doing an exchange with.So the money I'll save on accommodation I want to spend on a car, because it's a 45 minute trip each way and I don't want to be a burden on her 10 times a week for that! I'd rather drive myself, it's just one highway so it's easy enough.

I've checked into driving abroad and I know I need one of those IDP (International Driving Permits - I think that's what it's called) and it's like £5.99. I looked into hiring a car but you need to be 25 and I'll only be 20, so I was thinking of doing that (would be about $2500-$3000 for the 3 months) but having it in my mum's name (because of age) and me driving it. Is that legal? If that's not an option I was thinking of buying a cheap used car. Would that have to be done in my mum's name also? And what would I do for insurance?

Thanks in advance
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Typhoon)
In my 2nd year (2009-10) I'll be spending my first semester living with my mum in America as she lives 30 miles from the uni I'd be doing an exchange with.So the money I'll save on accommodation I want to spend on a car, because it's a 45 minute trip each way and I don't want to be a burden on her 10 times a week for that! I'd rather drive myself, it's just one highway so it's easy enough.

I've checked into driving abroad and I know I need one of those IDP (International Driving Permits - I think that's what it's called) and it's like £5.99. I looked into hiring a car but you need to be 25 and I'll only be 20, so I was thinking of doing that (would be about $2500-$3000 for the 3 months) but having it in my mum's name (because of age) and me driving it. Is that legal? If that's not an option I was thinking of buying a cheap used car. Would that have to be done in my mum's name also? And what would I do for insurance?

Thanks in advance
I've looked at the rental thing in the UK and in the small print it says additional drivers have to meet the same conditions as the main driver so try looking at some rental sites.

In New York you are allowed to rent from 18 but I don't think the rest of the US allows that.
Cattleman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Where in the states will you be? There's a good number of companies that will hire to people aged 18+ countrywide. You will pay more insurance for doing it this way, but it is still a reasonable option especially for long term rental.

Driving laws vary from state to state so check the applicable state driving guide before you go.
Cattleman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
If the car is insured you can drive it if you have the owners permision, you don't need insurance in your name, i think, if i'm wrong tell me.

Oh and they drive on the right side of the road lol
Owners permission yes. (Which would be the rental company if he is renting).
Typhoon
Rep:
?
It'ss cost an extra $25 a day... Think I'll have to scrap that idea...
Ride-Off
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
If the car is insured you can drive it if you have the owners permision, you don't need insurance in your name, i think, if i'm wrong tell me.

Oh and they drive on the right side of the road lol
No, they drive on the wrong side of the road!
Typhoon
Rep:
?
I've decided to buy a car, get it insured on my mum's policy and then sell it as I leave. I doubt it'd depreciate too much in the space of 3-4 months.
cabso1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've decided to buy a car, get it insured on my mum's policy and then sell it as I leave. I doubt it'd depreciate too much in the space of 3-4 months.
I was going to say, if you're going to be spending $3000 on a car, might as well buy an old banger, which will probably cost less, and won't depreciate as much either. Sell it at the end, and you'll probably be only spending ~$500.
123monster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did you think about leasing? also you to be insured under your mother's policy she would need to declare you... it's not like borowing someone's car... the insurers know that... you need to be 21 to rent a car and there's an extra fee until 25...
hope this helps! (I wish I could drive... I'm 13)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (210)
78.07%
No (59)
21.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed