The Student Room Group

Mechanics minor exa MEI 13th June 2019

What a crappy paper :frown:
My thoughts exactly. I know a lot of people who struggled, including someone who has an Oxford maths offer. I need an A* in FM for my uni offer so I really hope this hasn’t jeopardised it. I literally couldn’t do the last question, bar the first part where you labelled the diagram. I only learnt after the exam what a couple actually is. It’s frustrating because I did a paper this morning and got 85%, and the best case scenario for me in this paper is probably 70-75%. I’m praying for a low A* boundary.
Yeah same, I mean the boundaries for mechanics have been generally low (at 75% to 80% max) from last year's AS level. I just couldn't get questions 3 and 6 basically with no time to check. The other papers were nice for Further maths but this one was just a mood killer. And yeah in my practice papers, the "new" ones, I did much better in general, I think the hard questions that came up were on my weak topics. Can you confirm Qs 3 and 6 for me, I forgot what they were.
Original post by md_meridius2
My thoughts exactly. I know a lot of people who struggled, including someone who has an Oxford maths offer. I need an A* in FM for my uni offer so I really hope this hasn’t jeopardised it. I literally couldn’t do the last question, bar the first part where you labelled the diagram. I only learnt after the exam what a couple actually is. It’s frustrating because I did a paper this morning and got 85%, and the best case scenario for me in this paper is probably 70-75%. I’m praying for a low A* boundary.
(edited 4 years ago)
ngl i thought it was pretty easy, harder than the specimens though. i only missed the couple question. for question 3 (centres of mass) i got k>3 and for the last one i got that it slides first (slides at ~16° and topples at ~22°). im surprised that someone with an oxford offer found it tricky.
(edited 4 years ago)
Q3 was the uniform laminas and you had to find the values for k which made the centre of mass outside the shape. I got k < and k>3 for thatcher.
Q6 was the cylinder on the inclined plane. I couldn’t tell you any answers for that because I couldn't do it.
In terms of other questions my answers were:
Q1: Power is 21,000W
M < 66.99
Q2: x = ½, y = - ½, z = 0
v for helium = 900ish
Q3: k>3, k<
Q4: Velocity of A was something like (u - 2eu)/3
Can’t remember velocity of B.
I couldn’t get my answer for kinetic energy to equal what you were supposed to show.
KE is lowest when e = 1, at this point KE = 0, KE is highest when e=0 and at this point KE = 1/30 (u^2). For one of them they coalesced and moved at u/3. For the other one A moved backwards and B moved forwards.
Q5: Tension is 750N for both
Tension is then around 1020 for one of them and 200 and something for another.
When Jack makes his string 7m, the tensions in the string equal.
Q6: Forces on tie diagram:
5g acting downwards
Reaction perpendicular to plane
Friction parallel to plane.
Yeah I agree with most of them, I think the first one was 2100 not 21000. I made many misreads from the diagrams/numerical values, i.e. thinking that the question said inside instead of outside the lamina and the cylinder had a diameter of 5cm rather than radius. I think Qs 1, 2, 4 and 5 basically carried me. I don't think I would lose more than 3 marks in the lamina if I found the correct COM.
Q3 was the uniform laminas and you had to find the values for k which made the centre of mass outside the shape. I got k < and k>3 for thatcher.
Q6 was the cylinder on the inclined plane. I couldn’t tell you any answers for that because I couldn't do it.
M < 66.99
v for helium = 900ish
I couldn’t get my answer for kinetic energy to equal what you were supposed to show.
KE is lowest when e = 1, at this point KE = 0, KE is highest when e=0 and at this point KE = 1/30 (u^2). For one of them they coalesced and moved at u/3. For the other one A moved backwards and B moved forwards.
5g acting downwards
Yeah it might be. I only remembered 21 followed by some zeroes lol. Also if you found the values of k for which it would be inside the lamina, then you’ve got the right k values, but your inequalities would just be the wrong way around, so you’ve probably only dropped one or 2 marks maybe.
Original post by MysteryVader
Yeah I agree with most of them, I think the first one was 2100 not 21000. I made many misreads from the diagrams/numerical values, i.e. thinking that the question said inside instead of outside the lamina and the cylinder had a diameter of 5cm rather than radius. I think Qs 1, 2, 4 and 5 basically carried me. I don't think I would lose more than 3 marks in the lamina if I found the correct COM.
Reply 7
For the KE question, did the first part ask about when KE loss is minimum and the second part ask when KE loss is maximum?
M < 66.99
v for helium = 900ish
5g acting downwards
For question 6, a couple is just referring to an overall turning moment on the cylinder. For it to tip, the couple had to be greater than the opposing moment from the weight about each respective pivoting edge. The force of the weight needed to be resolved into perpendicular and parallel to the slope, for anti-clockwise the parallel to the slope moment acted anti-clockwise while the perpendicular acted clockwise, so the overall clockwise moment from the weight was less. For clockwise, both components acted anti-clockwise and hence the clockwise couple required up the slope was higher.
(Original post by Dequavius)
ngl i thought it was pretty easy, harder than the specimens though. i only missed the couple question. for question 3 (centres of mass) i got k>3 and for the last one i got that it slides first (slides at ~16° and topples at ~22°). im surprised that someone with an oxford offer found it tri

M < 66.99
v for helium = 900ish
5g acting downwards
does anyone happen to have a digital copy of the paper or markscheme?

Quick Reply

Latest