Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have really long thin hair and i never do much with it and i wanted to try something different, so i was thinking about the cut where you have a blunt fringe across about eyebrow level? the one that's quite popular nowadays.

thing is i havent had a fringe for years and im really scared of whether to do it or not!! i have long quite thin hair, my face shape is long with a slightly square jaw and my forhead is long

so you think it may suit me??

p.s., i've heard that this type of fringe can be high maintenance. why is this??

thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    my fringe is annoying because it makes getting spots on one's forhead more likely. eurghhh.
    and you have to get your hair cut more frequently as it will just grow to cover your eyes and so to stop blindness you need more haircuts. hence why i've got mine in a side fringe so i cant let it grow out without blinding me.

ReputationRep:
    yeah my hair grows really fast

hmmm

ReputationRep:
    toni and guy will trim your fringe for free, whether its a proper one or a side one, if you just pop in.
    dont know if others do that!

obviously only if you had it cut there in the first place though!

ReputationRep:
    get it quite long, so u can c if the style suits u roughly or not, and if it doesn't it will still be long enough to push to the side, like a side fringe! and if it does, gothe whole way, and cut it like a proper fringe

ReputationRep:
    Just my opinion, and the fringe may suit you, but I've yet to see a nice looking blunt fringe yet.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a finge like that and it was sooo annoying!
    the fact that it would get greesy easily and would easily get messed up and the problem of spots under the forehead .
    In the end i found myself just washing my fringe everyday! But then i got a side fringe which is much more easier i must say!
    But don't let that put you off having one!

ReputationRep:
    I had a fringe like that about 4 years ago, and it was a nightmare. My hair's naturally wavy so if I got hot, my forehead would sweat and my fringe would kink. Horrendous. The whole spot thing too was a nightmare.

Also, you should be able to walk in to any salon and cheekily ask for a free fringe trim. My mum does it all the time lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..J'adore..)
    thing is i havent had a fringe for years and im really scared of whether to do it or not!! i have long quite thin hair, my face shape is long with a slightly square jaw and my forhead is long
    This may be a bit of a problem if your going to the blunt fringe I have in my head. Like this:

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200..._holmes400.jpg

As it requires quite a think lot of hair and the hair then needs to be taken from nearer the back of your head.

A fringe is a good way to update any look, and although I can't really give a load of good advice without seeing a picture, here's a couple of options which may suit you a little better than the thick blunt fringe.

A lot of people said side fringes, and I totally advise this. I've had one or years (only recently got it cut into a real fringe). You kind of have two options here. A graduated, soft side fringe which should stop the 'spotty forehead' thing a lot of people say comes with getting a fringe. I think this would be the best option for you because of you having thin hair. Being quite soft it's also quite forgiving than the blunt harsh style. A little like this Amanda Holden fringe:
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...Picture1-1.png

The second side fringe is a thick chunky side fringe. A little more harsh than the above and covers up a lot more of your forehead but is a little more drastic that getting a soft fringe if you're looking for a total change. For this style take a look at my profile picture.

The next style you could try, is getting a 'proper' fringe, but not as blunt as the one you suggested. If you get it cut a little more choppier and almost a 'layered' effect into your fringe you can stop the huge bulk of hair that's needed and included in the blunt style fringe. This would be a little like this:
    http://checkered-vans.com/bandgaller...lbum=647&pos=5

Hope this helps a little!
    x

ReputationRep:
    I have long thin wavy hair naturally and have a blunt fringe. I have to wash and blow dry it everyday (just the fringe, I don't wash all my hair everyday) but I don't have any problems with having a spotty forehead, it does however go kinky but only on a night out when I get hot and bothered, other than that it stays nice and straight

I don't have a parting any more cos the fringe comes from the top of my head if that makes sense. I think it looks pretty good

Edit: My profile picture is not a good example cos that was taken on a very messy night out.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ..J'adore..)
    i have really long thin hair and i never do much with it and i wanted to try something different, so i was thinking about the cut where you have a blunt fringe across about eyebrow level? the one that's quite popular nowadays.

so you think it may suit me??

p.s., i've heard that this type of fringe can be high maintenance. why is this??

thanks =]
    hun i have the exact same face shape as you and i got a fringe (quite blunt) look at my profil pic to maybe see if that helps?

EDIT: it is fairly high maintenance but thats cos i keep having to put it back straight when it's been windy and excessive fiddlin leads to more greasiness and so have to wash it like twice a day lol. and i use straighteners to get the right style when it's dried otherwise it goas awol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have a fringe and I think they suit most people and they are easy to change really if you dont like them.

They are kind of high maintenance, they seem to grow fast so you will need to trim it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone for your replies, given me quite a lot to think about!!

noramally im not prone to spots but i do know that a fringe can give them you, and my hair is naturally dead straight so wont get kinks =], normally its not greasy but i know sometimes that happens with a fringe

i will have to ask my hairdresser as well what she thinks as she can see my face and hair in person =]

thank you allllll

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.