The Student Room Group

A level math should i start now?

I finish secondary school tomorrow after my gcse physics exam, I was thinking seen as I’m off for around 3 months now should I start working on a level math every now and again? Or do I just wait for college as if I start now it may give me a advantage later on

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol forget a level maths mate, it’s hell
Why not? Great idea to start during summer. You don't even have to do much - every bit will help. I wish I did more of that; it's the best feeling when going into lessons is just "revision" because you've already briefly covered the topic at home! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by esha.i
lol forget a level maths mate, it’s hell

Really?! Leads to a lot of stuff in the future though
might be diificult to understand some concepts maybe focus on another a level
Reply 5
If I was you I would relax for your holidays because A level maths is nothing like GCSE maths (take this from someone who did A level Maths). The holidays after GCSES are some of the best you'll ever have so I'd just relax and recharge after your exams and just enjoy your time off.
Original post by Hasan167
I finish secondary school tomorrow after my gcse physics exam, I was thinking seen as I’m off for around 3 months now should I start working on a level math every now and again? Or do I just wait for college as if I start now it may give me a advantage later on

I think you should go over calculus on khan academy, it will help you a lot but you don't need to do that every day, I can guarantee you that it will make a level much easier. When you apply for maths you will also be doing either two of mechanics, stats or decision(depends on the college you're applying for) check which one will the college do because these two are quite tricky when first presented so it will also be good to go over them before a levels
Reply 7

this is a great idea... watch videos, read articles and put yourself in a better position...A level maths is hard but its deffo worth it when you understand concepts and the maths that you learn..
Reply 8
Original post by Kalasaki
If I was you I would relax for your holidays because A level maths is nothing like GCSE maths (take this from someone who did A level Maths). The holidays after GCSES are some of the best you'll ever have so I'd just relax and recharge after your exams and just enjoy your time off.

I haven’t revised for my gcse tbh only a little here or there but I see what u mean
Reply 9
Original post by amirskykatz
I think you should go over calculus on khan academy, it will help you a lot but you don't need to do that every day, I can guarantee you that it will make a level much easier. When you apply for maths you will also be doing either two of mechanics, stats or decision(depends on the college you're applying for) check which one will the college do because these two are quite tricky when first presented so it will also be good to go over them before a levels

Thanks for the tips
Reply 10
Original post by tdag
this is a great idea... watch videos, read articles and put yourself in a better position...A level maths is hard but its deffo worth it when you understand concepts and the maths that you learn..

Thanks do you have any topics that are best to start and get my head round and sites etc.
Any advice for improving my Maths during the summer holidays to prepare for A Level Maths since my Maths skills aren't that great?
Reply 12
Original post by Hiro2468
Any advice for improving my Maths during the summer holidays to prepare for A Level Maths since my Maths skills aren't that great?

Tbh if ur maths skills aren’t the best have you thought about other A levels plus you need a 6 minimum in math
Tbh if ur maths skills aren’t the best have you thought about other A levels plus you need a 6 minimum in math

I have and there aren't any other A Levels I'm interested in unfortunately plus I need maths for my course (>_< ) Plus it's still possible to improve your maths skills, I won't give up.
Just watch videos on YouTube from examsolutions and try practise questions on topics you find difficult, maths is really just doing questions over and over again until you're 100% comfortable with the topic.
Original post by Hiro2468
Yeah you should do it. I already have a tutor for a level maths and chemistry which i'll start in about 3 weeks or so. Don't do it too often, once or twice a week should be fine. The jump from GCSE to A level is worse than the jump from A level to Uni from what I've been told. So don't waste these 3 months doing nothing if you want to start in September already feeling confident and not completely confused.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
It's too late. You should've started when you finished primary school.
Original post by amirskykatz

In the new maths a level you do mechanics and statistics and don't do decision
Reply 18
Original post by sanyaali_
Yeah you should do it. I already have a tutor for a level maths and chemistry which i'll start in about 3 weeks or so. Don't do it too often, once or twice a week should be fine. The jump from GCSE to A level is worse than the jump from A level to Uni from what I've been told. So don't waste these 3 months doing nothing if you want to start in September already feeling confident and not completely confused.

Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by Xarao
It's too late. You should've started when you finished primary school.

Ahah funny guy

Quick Reply

Latest