Jayfromaldi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I’ll try to keep this short:
I plan on taking art a level next year, but I strongly dislike realism. I’m not very good at it, but I have good original ideas for art and I’m good with alternative styles. Is this okay? Can I still do well?
Are we expected to do a lot of realism for a level art? I’m not sure if it’s like gcse where what we do is controlled
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't take A level art but i have seen A level sketchbooks, and done an art foundation course which is an equivalent qualification.

By realism do you mean the historical movement or drawing realistically? They will encourage you to practice observational/representational drawing as a basic skill that improves your ability to see light, shadow, form etc. Even if you don't find that kind of art interesting you will definitely use it and enjoy improving it as your own skill. But, the course covers a range of subjects, you are encouraged to experiment a lot and find your form of expression. It won't be controlled the same way as GCSEs. They like to see people who think outside the box.
(Original post by Jayfromaldi)
Hi! I’ll try to keep this short:
I plan on taking art a level next year, but I strongly dislike realism. I’m not very good at it, but I have good original ideas for art and I’m good with alternative styles. Is this okay? Can I still do well?
Are we expected to do a lot of realism for a level art? I’m not sure if it’s like gcse where what we do is controlled
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If realism isn't your strong point then choose artist references that are more abstract. There needs to be some element of observational drawing shown on your prep work and sketchbook but you don't need to focus heavily on it at all if that isn't your thing. I got an A* for doing very realistic work but the other A* in the class was a girl who focused on mixed media and collage. It really is up to you which direction you take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (95)
58.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.27%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.36%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.52%

Watched Threads