Which Conservative would you vote for? Watch

Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ignoring whether you would generally vote Conservative or not, which of the candidates who got through today would you vote for, and why?

Boris Johnson, Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Matt Hancock, Rory Stewart, Dominic Raab, Sajid Javid
SchmuckOff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Johnson . Why ? Because he'll deliver the brexit the people voted for.
(Original post by Kinyonga)
Ignoring whether you would generally vote Conservative or not, which of the candidates who got through today would you vote for, and why?

Boris Johnson, Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Matt Hancock, Rory Stewart, Dominic Raab, Sajid Javid
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need to research the candidates more (barely knew Hancock existed) but so far Rory Stewart would get my vote.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I like me some Hunt. And no, that's not Cockney rhyming slang.
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rory Stewart because he at least has attempted to be pragmatic and still compromise on Brexit.
He too has engaged in discussion with people from different party constituencies to show that he can appeal to the whole electorate - perhaps a lifeline for the Conservatives since their crumble in the locals.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by that_guy874)
Rory Stewart because he at least has attempted to be pragmatic and still compromise on Brexit.
He too has engaged in discussion with people from different party constituencies to show that he can appeal to the whole electorate - perhaps a lifeline for the Conservatives since their crumble in the locals.
Rory is may 2.0 when it comes to brexit.

Tony Blair of all people gave the best rebuttal to this type of 'make everyone happy' Brexit approach a few weeks ago.. it is simply a fairy-tale, it doesn't exist. Its a binary choice, between Brexit or no Brexit. There is no middle ground that can be found - and we had a priminister who spent two and a half years trying desperately to find it. Rory will hit the same problems may did.. any compromise he comes up with will be too close to remaining for the leavers, and to close to leaving for the remainers.

The tories are crumbling because they are hemerging votes to the Brexit party, and loosing the vast waves of leave voters that were in their ranks.. a compromise candidate like Rory looses the next election by a long way, as he enables farage+co to split the vote on the right, and labour to win (as we saw in the last by-election)
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
None of em.
Kill3rCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Johnson. He's a bit of a clown, but the rest of them are either Remoaners or I simply disagree with on far too many issues.

Or Esther McVey, but she's out of the race now.
Last edited by Kill3rCat; 4 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pragmatically it has to be a hard-brexiteer, if we are to make any progress with Brexit. Not because I want a hard-brexit, but because we need to reduce this down to a binary choice - hard brexit or remain, then as a country, make it. Another compromise candidate, would offer nothing more then may managed.

But I don't know which one.

Boris Johnson - has the charisma, but not the ability
Jeremy Hunt = manager
Michael Gove = tainted and pathetic
Matt Hancock = nobody
Rory Stewart = could make a very good PM during prosperous times
Dominic Raab = reasonable, if we weren't in an extreme situation
Sajid Javid = manager

I would probably say.. bring boris in to solve this brexit mess, having him will either push the country to leaving straight away.. or remaining entirely. And then afterwards, someone like Rory would make a very reasonable PM.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Rory is may 2.0 when it comes to brexit.

Tony Blair of all people gave the best rebuttal to this type of 'make everyone happy' Brexit approach a few weeks ago.. it is simply a fairy-tale, it doesn't exist. Its a binary choice, between Brexit or no Brexit. There is no middle ground that can be found - and we had a priminister who spent two and a half years trying desperately to find it. Rory will hit the same problems may did.. any compromise he comes up with will be too close to remaining for the leavers, and to close to leaving for the remainers.

The tories are crumbling because they are hemerging votes to the Brexit party, and loosing the vast waves of leave voters that were in their ranks.. a compromise candidate like Rory looses the next election by a long way, as he enables farage+co to split the vote on the right, and labour to win (as we saw in the last by-election)
I'm usually quite willing to listen to Tony Blair on most things, but on this I think he's well wide of the mark. Indeed, I think that has been the problem: those campaigners who supported Remain have, by and large, decided to go down some fantasy line that Brexit - somehow - doesn't have to happen, despite the referendum result.

This has left a gaping void where actual, pragmatic policy could be found. The end result is that Theresa May framed the argument in an increasingly hardline way, and the strength of feeling among Leave supporters was diverted into insisting that, for no apparent reason, no deal Brexit was the only way. I'm still quite bitter about that.

You might say that we are where we are and must deal with it. That is true to some extent. But I do wonder where the Leavers will lie once they realise there is no Parliamentary majority for a no-deal exit on 31 October. Because, at the moment, saying that we can leave in that timescale without agreeing something fairly similar to Theresa May's deal is simply a non-starter - and the candidates are clever enough to know that.

In terms of the Conservative vote, look at the numbers that have peeled off to the Lib Dems. Why should we ignore that? Equally there is clearly a once-in-a-generation opportunity to absorb the centre ground, pitching a Tory leader as able to take votes in swathes from former Labour supporters who aren't antisemites and don't want to nationalise Sainsbury's. Yes, there are some strong Brexit supporters in our party who won't like it, but I refuse to believe that they are - in huge numbers - immune to sensible compromise. What is pissing these people off, increasingly, is the ridiculous position where we apparently want to leave but are continually requesting extensions to a point where Brexit looks further away than at any point since summer 2016. No other candidate has a position that is not going to simply leave us in that limbo, barring those that are hinting at proroguing Parliament - which would be ridiculous.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sajid Javid.
vanessastock
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)

Personally love Rory but don't think that he's suitable for the current climate, maybe Raab or Sajid Javid. Coming from a Tory, I bloody hope it's not that buffoon Boris irrefutably he will tarnish the party's reputation following a number of professional, arguably reputable leaders. We definitely do not need another element from this horrible decade to make amends to.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hate the conservatives, but Rory Stewart.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i would have voted rees-mogg but he's not running for conservative leadership
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Theres a massive love in for Boris, but he makes claims but I cant see him ever backing them up. There are now claims everyone else should stand down and let him win without debate because he got the most votes in the first round.

If delivering Brexit means no deal at all, then anyone can deliver that because its what is going to happen anyway. None of the candidates are going to be able to make the EU negotiate.

What we needed was a general election so a government can get a majority and have their mandate legitimised. It could have avoided all this tortuous brexit negotiations if that had been done.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
None
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Johnson because I think he'd produce the best results for the Conservatives in an election.
Neilos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't say I have any great knowledge of, or love for, any of them, and I doubt I'd ever vote for their party, but probably Raab. Comes across as an intelligent chap, has the Brexit viewpoint the next PM needs and I don't remember ever seeing a news story about him and thinking 'what a knob'.

Imagine there are plenty of things he stands for that I disagree with, but that'll be the same for any of them.
Muppetress
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think we need Boris, he has a strong backbone, strong following, and the charisma with the hidden cunning to fix this right mess. After him, I think Rory Stewart, followed by Jacob Rees-Mogg would be good. Or perhaps Jacob would come first if he gains more prominence under Boris's leadership. Remember, the party is on the verge of collapse and has to respond to the Brexit Party and Lib-Dems. Only Boris is capable of that right now.
Last edited by Muppetress; 1 month ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rory is becoming really interesting. Hes becoming the labor-voter's tory. All of my facebook feed is full of my labour supporting friends saying how much they admire him and want him to win.

it reminds me of Andrew Yang in american politics. He is a democrat presidential candidate, but has become really popular on the online right.. and in effect hes become the republican's democrat. Traditionally you would think that this would make Rory a really tempting candidate as he clearly has swing with both the left and the right, and is able to operate within the center very well... but given how polarized things are now, I think these days its more likely a kiss of death.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (57)
56.44%
No (44)
43.56%

Watched Threads