Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm appalling at chemistry, and I have two exams on it on Thursday: Unit 4 (Retake) and Unit 5. I've been doing past papers all week and keep getting E's - High D's at the highest so far! I'm absoloutely screwed, and I'm panicing now that these are going to be the two exams that stop me from getting into the course I want. *cries* - The last time I took unit 4 - I got a U! (in my defence, I was suffering very badly at that point with depression and bulimia.) So I can't even rely on an acceptable past score if I don't do well this time.

Anyone else in the same boat, completely failing in one area of their studies? With pretty much constant revision, do you think it would be possible to get a decent grade in under a week in these two exams? I have no buffer zone for an A - I got exactly 240 Uniform Mark points at AS for it.

I don't need to revise a lot for my other subjects as they're going great - do you think I have any chance whatsoever? What advice do you have for me?

ReputationRep:
    just learn the mark schemes. LOOOL

ReputationRep:
    Chill, then go through the syllabus revising bits that you don't understand. THEN tackle past papers. Repeat until you're getting As.

ReputationRep:
    Samee.

Except ill be over the moon if i can get an E. Honestly.!

ReputationRep:
    Comee onn, its not that bad, I dumped the notes cos I realised they were getting me nowhere, because if youve been through the stuff a few times already, and youre still not getting very far with the papers, hit the markschemes, after doing a few papers, youll figure out what kind of answers they want..

ReputationRep:
    Ferchichi - Problem with EDEXCEL though is they seem to change what they're after each year - what's fine one year isn't necessarily the next. Eek. lol

Sarahl89 - Biggest mistake ever choosing chem in my opinion. I'm sure you'll do great in the end, but I know what you mean - right now, I'd be surprised if I scraped an E at A2.

ReputationRep:
    No noo, its really not like that, Im doing it myself.. I work through the papers with markschemes first, and then I write up "model answers" on revision cards, like for why transitions metals are coloured or for recrystalisation, and definitions for deprotonation and overall order and enthalpy of atomisation... bla bla bla.... which I completely lift from the mark schemes...

I write out the reactions, draw the mechanisms and try and understand them.. for example the explanations in the A2 edexcel chemistry book by George Facer (the phillip allen one) are actually verygood!

Another thing ive found very useful is this supermarket thing my teacher taught us. You basically have columns (the aisles ) one for nucleophiles one for electrophiles one for oxidising agents etc... and you list them all... it really helps with mechanism questions and the "what type of reaction" questions. These are small things but the marks do add up and can be the difference between a D and a C or a B and an A...

Just dont panic..

I also highlighted in the spec things I didnt understand at all in pink, and things I needed to remember/go over in yellow, at first it looked so scary because almost everything was highlighted, but you can actually get through it very quick, especially if you can go through it with a teacher or tutor.. But I advise doing that only if you can be sure you wont be thrown off

ReputationRep:
    the fact that thet u got 80% for AS Level proves ur smart and that U CAN DO THIS! seriously dont doubt ur capability, u can and will pull it off!!

prioritise the key areas ur not gettin and really focus on them by going thru the txtbook/revsn guide to make notes, rewrite/talk them out, attempt papers and learn mark schemes. i wish i could tell u an easier/quicker method - but theres just no other way!

if u feel that ur not good at any area in particular (which prob isnt true, ur prob thinking this coz ur panicking) then rely heavily on ur revsn guide, as u dont have too much tym to be learning from the txtbook. i've been rushed for tym and i did my notes in 2-3 days! its possible, u've gotta try to be positive, get ur butt into gear and remind urself it'll all be over in a few weeks.
    oh yeah chemguide is a good site to use, often i find the txtbook complicates stuff/puts irellevant stuff in, so chemguid is perfect for dumbos lyk me lol!

and well done for persevering this far after all the stuff u've been going thru with the bulimia/depression!

EDIT: Ferrichi, could u please expand on the supermarket thing, it sounds good!

ReputationRep:
    [Nu] [E] [O] [H] [-H20]
    NaOH X2 CR2O4-/H+ LiBrH4/dry ether Conc H2SO4
    PCl5 H2 MnO4-/H+/OH- NaAlH4/dry ether
    KCN HX

Oh maaaan, basically its a bit like that.. lool, I was gonna do the whole thing but got a bit bored of it. Anyways, I have them on revision cards, they really really help alot.

crap, they come out a bit wrong when I post, hope you get the jist of it though..

ReputationRep:
    ahh i get it, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sheena and Ferchichi - I could kiss you both right now! Thanks so much. You've really helped and motivated me loads :-) They're really good ideas!

ReputationRep:
    no probs, as long as ur feeling better and more motivated

ReputationRep:
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is the cause of all my problems, mainly coz i leave te revision last minute and get tonnes to learn b4 exam, even more than biology!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what textbooks people use at school?
    Because we use NAS and they are awful.

I hear there is a little edexcel revision guide which is excellent but i just learn from my class notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReasonToBelieve)
    Just wondering what textbooks people use at school?
    Because we use NAS and they are awful.

I hear there is a little edexcel revision guide which is excellent but i just learn from my class notes.
    The enormous blue Oxford book by Clugston(sp?) and Flemming. It's my bible!:p:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.