Quick question about ranges/domains of functions Watch

Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

In an exam question I was asked to find the cartesian equation of a curve in the form y=f(x). I did this and got the right answer, which is:

y=\frac{8}{4+x^2}

It then asked me to state the domain of the function, and I said that x is an element of the group of real numbers (i.e. it can have any value, including negatives, because when it is squared it will be positive).

However, in the mark scheme, it says x ...0

Does this mean x is "subject to" the conditions (there are none)? If so, is my answer right?

A brief explanation of the differences between the range and domain too would be much appreciated!

Thanks
figureeight
Badges: 10
Report 10 years ago
I would have said xER too, maybe it's got something to do with the parametrics you took it from?
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"x ...0" is almost certainly mark scheme slang, which I don't speak. It's not a mathematical statement. Maybe it means "award a mark for either x < 0, x <= 0, x > 0 or x >= 0". Anyway, the domain of that function could be more or less anything - there will have been something given in the question. For example, if you translated that from parametric to Cartesian, it will have been given in the question "x = x(t), y = y(t), t > 0" or something, and you'll have been expected to change that to Cartesians too.
Muppety_Kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by generalebriety)
"x ...0" is almost certainly mark scheme slang, which I don't speak. It's not a mathematical statement. Maybe it means "award a mark for either x < 0, x <= 0, x > 0 or x >= 0". Anyway, the domain of that function could be more or less anything - there will have been something given in the question. For example, if you translated that from parametric to Cartesian, it will have been given in the question "x = x(t), y = y(t), t > 0" or something, and you'll have been expected to change that to Cartesians too.
OK...

Looking at the question, it says 0<t<=(pi/2). How does that have an effect on my domain though? :confused:

I think I'll go away and mull this over for a few minutes...
figureeight
Badges: 10
Report 10 years ago
Because it can give you your largest and smallest values of x?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Muppety_Kid)
OK...

Looking at the question, it says 0<t<=(pi/2). How does that have an effect on my domain though? :confused:

I think I'll go away and mull this over for a few minutes...
Well, what were the parametric equations?
Muppety_Kid
Rep:
?
Well, what were the parametric equations?
Sorry, they were:

x = 2 cot t, y = 2sin^2t
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry, they were:

x = 2 cot t, y = 2sin^2t
Ok, so what's the minimum and maximum x can be if 0 < t <= pi/2?
Muppety_Kid
Rep:
?
Ok, so what's the minimum and maximum x can be if 0 < t <= pi/2?
The minimum is 0. The maximum would be \frac{2}{tan\frac{\pi}{2}}, but I get that to be undefined. So does that mean x must be greater than or equal to 0?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The minimum is 0. The maximum would be \frac{2}{tan\frac{\pi}{2}}, but I get that to be undefined. So does that mean x must be greater than or equal to 0?
No, cot pi/2 is well defined (and is 0). It's cot 0 that's not defined. Luckily, 0 isn't in the set of values that t can take. Yes, basically, you're right: x >= 0, because at t = pi/2 we have x = 0, and as t goes to 0, x goes to +infinity.
Muppety_Kid
Rep:
?
No, cot pi/2 is well defined (and is 0). It's cot 0 that's not defined. Luckily, 0 isn't in the set of values that t can take. Yes, basically, you're right: x >= 0, because at t = pi/2 we have x = 0, and as t goes to 0, x goes to +infinity.
Ah! I see it now - I've never had one that requires me to apply the conditions for t to x before.

I'll add that to my notes now, thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (117)
45.88%
Pro-humanity (138)
54.12%