Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the essay this is going to be, but i just need a rant!

Basically i was friends with this girl, call her Michelle. Michelle and I has been friends for years, go back to secondary school. Things all started to change in year 11 when she met this idiot of a boy called Spencer. Ever since then to college they have been inseperable. The thing is Spencer doesn't like me, never has done. Don't know why. Never asked why. And i don't like him.

The thing is Spencer a bully, and a creep and when Michelle turns her back, he eyes up other girls, even hugs them or holds hands with them. He calls people he doesnt like (incl.me) names.

I've tried to tell her, again and again, what sort of bloke this idiot is. But she never believes me. She thinks ive got something against him. Which i do, hes an idiot and using my friend!

How can i make her see sense?
    We are in 2nd and last year of college now. I know i shouldnt even bother, but i used to be like really close to this girl Michelle before she met Spencer. And i don't want to see her get hurt. The truth is, i know she loves him, but i think she thinks she can't do any better than him.

I don't know what to do.
    Any advice would be greatly apreciated!
    Shall i do nothing or interfeer yet again?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't interfere. I know you're only to trying to help your friend but nothing you say will change her mind and instead of making her resent him you're only going to make her resent you and you risk losing your friendship. I know it's difficult to sit back and watch someone you care about be in a relationship you know isn't good for them, but it's not your decision- it's theirs. Spencer will show his true colours to Michelle eventually. Instead of focusing on making her realise he's an idiot, let her discover that herself and be a good friend when the time comes and she needs your support.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day they've been together for ages, you've got to give them credit. Okay, so he might not be good for her but essentially that's for her to decide. You can tell her flat out that you'd rather she wasn't with him, but you won't let that get in their way, or between your friendship. Really make an effort, it's not worth losing a friend over. Maybe if you make an effort with him, try to be nice, and he's still mean to you, then maybe she'll see what he's like??
    Either way, I think you know it yourself, but there's nothing you can do; it's her life and as much as you love her, you're just making her life harder if you're constantly saying stuff.

ReputationRep:
    MY god.... not a hug?! Seriously, leave them to their own devices. They seem to be working...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.
    I guess it is better if i do nothing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.