Medicine in Canada for International Student

Watch this thread
ConfusedDocToBe
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I am an international student and I got offered admission for Bachelors in Biology in a few Canadian Universities. Once I complete this course, is it possible for me to get some work experience and get a PR in Canada and then apply for MD program in Canada? Also do you prefer studying medicine in Canada or United Kingdom?

Note: I am an international in both the countries.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ConfusedDocToBe)
...Also do you prefer studying medicine in Canada or United Kingdom?....
As someone who studied Medicine in the UK and never even set foot in Canada, I would have to say..... hmm..... the UK.

This is a UK forum at the end of the day, it is unlikely you'll find many Canadian med students or doctors here.
ConfusedDocToBe
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
As someone who studied Medicine in the UK and never even set foot in Canada, I would have to say..... hmm..... the UK.

This is a UK forum at the end of the day, it is unlikely you'll find many Canadian med students or doctors here.
What other requirements/courses/exams does one need to complete after finishing MBBS in UK to become a physician?

I’ll be applying for UK in a few months. Most of the universities I wanted to apply for have an age requirement of 18, I was too young to apply last year.
Last edited by ConfusedDocToBe; 3 years ago
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What other requirements/courses/exams does one need to complete after finishing MBBS in UK to become a physician?
Depends on the specialty.

After MBBS / MBChB obtained in the UK you would be eligible to enter the Foundation Year programme (2 years). You would need to take 2 exams - SJT / PSA for rankings of jobs and location - it's not really that important and does not have much implications beyond not getting where you want.

To train to be a physician, you'd need to do Internal Medicine Training (3 years) after FY2. During these 3 years, you are expected to pass and obtain the MRCP diploma (comprising of 3 exams - Part 1, Part 2 and PACES).

In the middle of IMT3 for most specialties, you would apply for ST4 Specialty Training. You would still need to pass the exam(s)* in that specialty. Once you had enough training in that specialty (currently ~ 4 years) you obtain the CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) and can apply for consultant jobs.

* Number of exams depend on specialty. For example Neurology - what I am doing has only one exam. To train as an interventional cardiologist, you would need to take three exams.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 years ago
ConfusedDocToBe
Rep:
Depends on the specialty.

After MBBS / MBChB obtained in the UK you would be eligible to enter the Foundation Year programme (2 years). You would need to take 2 exams - SJT / PSA for rankings of jobs and location - it's not really that important and does not have much implications beyond not getting where you want.

To train to be a physician, you'd need to do Internal Medicine Training (3 years) after FY2. During these 3 years, you are expected to pass and obtain the MRCP diploma (comprising of 3 exams - Part 1, Part 2 and PACES).

In the middle of IMT3 for most specialties, you would apply for ST4 Specialty Training. You would still need to pass the exam(s)* in that specialty. Once you had enough training in that specialty (currently ~ 4 years) you obtain the CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) and can apply for consultant jobs.

* Number of exams depend on specialty. For example Neurology - what I am doing has only one exam. To train as an interventional cardiologist, you would need to take three exams.
So, during the second year of IMT, I can begin my speciality training also? Furthermore, what are the expenses of the IMT and Speciality training? Generally MBBS / MB ChB would cost over 30000 Euros per year for an international, is it the same for IMT and ST4 or are the expenses comparatively lesser.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with these programmes so I’m kind of new to understanding this. Being an international student, I want to be very careful in making this decision.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So, during the second year of IMT, I can begin my speciality training also? Furthermore, what are the expenses of the IMT and Speciality training? Generally MBBS / MB ChB would cost over 30000 Euros per year for an international, is it the same for IMT and ST4 or are the expenses comparatively lesser.
Depends on the specialty. This is where it can get complicated.

Some specialties like dermatology or GU medicine you can leave IMT at Year 2, because those specialty the training length is 5 years.
Most specialties like cardiology or respiratory you will have to do 3 years of IMT, then do 4 years of their specialty training.

You get paid a salary when you are in training, you don't need to pay - the last year of tuition fees will be final year of medical school.

You start getting paid after FY1, because you are working and providing service. Training is part of the job and you will get some (limited) study leave to attend mandatory study days or optional courses.
ConfusedDocToBe
Rep:
Is the pay during the training/foundation enough for one’s basic sustenance. I just don’t want to depend on my family for too long. Also on basis of your personal experience, how challenging have you found this field to be? I love to study and work but I just would love to have some insight from someone who has experienced this.

Also I have a doubt, I am actually a 17 year old. (will be 17 when the course for 2019 starts) Finished my high school just 3 months ago. Am I considered a gap year student taking into account that the reason for the gap was my age issue? Also does this gap year of sorts affect my chance at getting admission.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Is the pay during the training/foundation enough for one’s basic sustenance. I just don’t want to depend on my family for too long. Also on basis of your personal experience, how challenging have you found this field to be? I love to study and work but I just would love to have some insight from someone who has experienced this.
It should be enough, and the pay increases throughout your training.

An FY1's basic salary is £27,146 per year at the moment, not doing on-calls. You will be paid more as you will be on an on-call rota (you don't get to choose to do on-calls or not, but you will be paid more).

An FY2's basic salary is £31,422 per year.

For IMT1 and IMT2 it's £37,191 and IMT3 and ST4-ST7 it's £47,132. Note that these are all basic salary and you will be paid more if you do on-calls.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further specific questions!
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
this Government of Canada website might help you

i don't know anything about med school but i've lived all over Canada and now in the UK. i prefer UK.
blinkzy
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It should be enough, and the pay increases throughout your training.

An FY1's basic salary is £27,146 per year at the moment, not doing on-calls. You will be paid more as you will be on an on-call rota (you don't get to choose to do on-calls or not, but you will be paid more).

An FY2's basic salary is £31,422 per year.

For IMT1 and IMT2 it's £37,191 and IMT3 and ST4-ST7 it's £47,132. Note that these are all basic salary and you will be paid more if you do on-calls.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further specific questions!
Do you have any idea what the pretax average salary of ST4-ST7 with on calls?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hazzer94)
Do you have any idea what the pretax average salary of ST4-ST7 with on calls?
Intensity of on calls?

Ball Park figure would be the old JD contract reg salary (assuming ST5 because of yearly increases on the old JD contract) x 1.4 (band 1B 40% banding). But that's an assumption and is by no means the true figure!

Disclaimer: I'm on the old contract.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads