Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are they like? are they good on fuel and are they fun to drive?

Having once owned a Ka i think i got a feel for how a car designed by the same designer drives like, but i really want one now :p:

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're talking about the old model?

Good ride quality, got loads of body roll though so I ended up feeling sick after a while. Had a fair bit of 'go,' but felt like a tank. Not in handling or anything like that, it just feels massive and clunky. Difficult to describe. You'll notice it when you get in one. You feel like every side protudes too far.

Had loads of lessons in one, it was alright I suppose but I prefer what I'm learning in now (a 207).

ReputationRep:
    yeah, old model

ReputationRep:
    Dynamically, they have one of the best chassis' in their class. This gives very good ride quality whilst still being a lot of fun if you get hustling down a nice lane. All the engines are pretty good (except the 1.4). The 1.6 will give good fuel consumption whilst the 1.8/2.0 will sacrifice the fuel consumption for a slight boost in performance. They arent amazingly quick, even the st's are lacking a bit, but compared to a ka they will feel powerful. They are nice and roomy inside, with a decent size boot.

ReputationRep:
    Very good car, highly recommended, i would go for the 1.8 / 2.0 for that extra kick compared to a car. Highly well built, right in the prime of fords life

ReputationRep:
    Ive had a 1.6l focus for 2 and a half or so years now. Class car, probably would've preferred something a tad smaller/less easy to thrash about as a first car but its given me tonnes of fun. Acceleration doesn't seem great off the line but once it gets going you can really throw it around a lot. Corners very well, has enough space, pretty sturdy and hard to break. Fuel consumption is good too when you drive it nicely. Id highly recommend it if you can get a decent price on one.

Only problem is a couple times I've gotten into a convoy of 3 focus's all in the same colour (silver). Makes you feel a little stupid

In regards to the above post considering fuel prices I would take the more fuel friendly one. Unless you do a lot of motorway driving it'll do everything you need it to do and more.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted one but bought an Astra instead. They are a lot better than Focus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madlib)
    I wanted one but bought an Astra instead. They are a lot better than Focus
    Not compared to the new focus they arent imo.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt in the new focus, it is a cool car, the one I had was very nippy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Not compared to the new focus they arent imo.
    Depends if you're talking about the normal models or the sports models.

The VXR is miles better than the Focus ST.

ReputationRep:
    well if you want to do this comparison the it has to be up against the new focus. Even still the focus is better.

The vxr against the st, the handling of the st is much much better imo, the vxr has far too much power going to the front wheels whereas the the st has gotten it right with better suspension and handling imo.

its got better boot space than the vxr, the interior is better in the st rather than vxrs over use of plasitc and fake carbon fibre :rolleyes:

The focus is more reliable to !

How do you think the vxr is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chew)
    Depends if you're talking about the normal models or the sports models.

The VXR is miles better than the Focus ST.
    The VXR is better on paper, in my opinion ST is the best car for the real world. The astra has appaling suspension, poor power delivery and a compromised chassis. The triple8 vxrs are much better, but far to hardcore for road use.

ReputationRep:
    well i'm not getting an ST or a VXR or a 1.8/2.0.

i don;t want to spend that much extra on fuel or insurance

so they are out the window

ReputationRep:
    1.6 Focus then. Will be ideal in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    1.6 will be fine if you don't want diesel. Zetec (and I think Ghia too) have better suspension so shouldn't roll as much as a CL or LX. Zetec has alloys, Ghia has nice seats and chrome-style detail on the boot/interior handles etc. I'm not sure if all the early ones had a CD player though.

ReputationRep:
    http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/478950.htm 1.6
    http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/478186.htm 1.4

Its alot of money for the car though....look on autotrader, pretty sure you can pick a cheaper one..

whats the budget if you dont mind asking?

ReputationRep:
    The reviews speak for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Reviews of the focus usually are by the average guy who knows little about cars, therefore thinks the handling is excellent, gearbox is excellent etc etc. So you gotta be careful about reviews of particular cars, but anyways, we know the car is very good up against its competitors of that time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Reviews of the focus usually are by the average guy who knows little about cars, therefore thinks the handling is excellent, gearbox is excellent etc etc. So you gotta be careful about reviews of particular cars, but anyways, we know the car is very good up against its competitors of that time
    When I say reviews, I mean reviews from everywhere and from people who will know what they're talking about, not some random punter having their say.

ReputationRep:
    we have an auto one at work.

it's crap.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.