Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I applied to York St John and got an unconditional offer, but many are saying to go to a university with a "higher" reputation. I really liked the university and get to study the course I really want to do, but would that mean it would make my degree less desirable?
Thank you
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Depends on your A-level grades and what degree it is. But if you really like the university and course I guess go for it as at the end of the day you're going to be studying there for 3 years and you don't want to hate the course/university.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I applied to York St John and got an unconditional offer, but many are saying to go to a university with a "higher" reputation. I really liked the university and get to study the course I really want to do, but would that mean it would make my degree less desirable?
Thank you
Anonymous #1
Thanks for the reply! It's for a degree in English and History which is what I want to do, whereas the higher university I applied for offered English and Philosophy. I liked both universities equally, but I did initially want a degree in English and History. Does it matter what university you get a degree from?
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Depends on your A-level grades and what degree it is. But if you really like the university and course I guess go for it as at the end of the day you're going to be studying there for 3 years and you don't want to hate the course/university.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What's the higher university?
Thanks for the reply! It's for a degree in English and History which is what I want to do, whereas the higher university I applied for offered English and Philosophy. I liked both universities equally, but I did initially want a degree in English and History. Does it matter what university you get a degree from?
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 9 months ago
Anonymous #1
University of Nottingham
What's the higher university?
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Wow ok that is quite a big jump, I would consider the University of Nottingham. However, if you really want to do the course at York St John then go for it. It depends what you want to do in the future, although employers generally don't care about the university you went to in this case they might. If you want to move onto further study/teaching afterwards then York St John is fine as your transcript would be more important for further study. If you intend to go into employment in a graduate scheme role after graduation I would supplement your CV with work experience.
University of Nottingham
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 9 months ago
Anonymous #1
That helped so much, thank you!

Wow ok that is quite a big jump, I would consider the University of Nottingham. However, if you really want to do the course at York St John then go for it. It depends what you want to do in the future, although employers generally don't care about the university you went to in this case they might. If you want to move onto further study/teaching afterwards then York St John is fine as your transcript would be more important for further study. If you intend to go into employment in a graduate scheme role after graduation I would supplement your CV with work experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (142)
15.81%
Uncertainty around my education (146)
16.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (86)
9.58%
Isolating with family (61)
6.79%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.67%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (79)
8.8%
Loneliness (90)
10.02%
Financial worries (38)
4.23%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (81)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
6.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.02%

Watched Threads