Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Describe a simple test you could do to see if a reaction is exothermic or endothermic. Name the piece of equipment you would use, and what would you observe when using it?

ReputationRep:
    i dropped chemistry after the jan modules....but i think it involves a calirometer or something, and comparing the temperature change between the system and its environment...

heh a thermometer is another option, if the temp increases - its exothermic, if it falls, its endothermic

ReputationRep:
    you need the thermometer whatever....

ReputationRep:
    is this for gcse or a level?

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt you carry out the reaction and just measure the change in temp? if it's exo it decreases and if it's endo it increases as it takes in heat energy?? or you need something more complex? im not sure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    heh a thermometer is another option, if the temp increases - its exothermic, if it falls, its endothermic
    i thought it was the other way round-doesnt endo take in heat and exo release it?

ReputationRep:
    exo gives out heat energy so the environment's temp increases, but the actual substance(system)'s temp falls

endo takes in heat energy so the environment's temp falls, but the system's increases

i'm pretty sure.... hmm.

(Original post by gorilla_baby)
    i thought it was the other way round-doesnt endo take in heat and exo release it?
    yes!? if the temperature of the reaction increases then heat is being given out and vice-versa

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.