The Student Room Group

Is self studying one a level sensible?

I want to do four a-levels, and yes, I know I don’t need to but I wish to. I want to do Eng Lit, History, Maths, and Politics. I can’t study 4 at my school and need to self study 1.

I am torn between self studying Maths or Politics, which one would you recommend?
Politics because it tends to be easier than Maths
Reply 2
Pick the one you enjoy the most, I wont be easy to maintain the motivation to self study unless you like the subject. I dont know anything about politics but I imaging there are more resources availiable for studying maths at home and it would be easier to check your progress (because you either get it right or wrong) unless there is somone at school willing to mark any extended writing you do.
Reply 3
Neither because its pointless doing 4
Reply 4
I just want to do all four, but just can’t decide what to self study: maths or politics.
Reply 5
If I were you, choose between doing one or the other.

I know you think doing 4 will make you standout, especially if one is self-studied, but realistically trying to self-teach yourself an A-Level, will detract from the rest of your three.

The majority of the people who go to top unis will have 3 A-Levels; 4 is a stretch for a lot of people and having one of those self-taught would be very difficult. I wouldn't recommend it.
Reply 6
Me (literally taken 4 a levels and had to teach myself the 2 of the courses to myself): The pain is not worth it my friend. If u have to self study, take maths. finding resources on politics will be much more difficult. Maths is quite a simple object if u practice early on
How long did it take you to self study
Original post by Muudeey
Me (literally taken 4 a levels and had to teach myself the 2 of the courses to myself): The pain is not worth it my friend. If u have to self study, take maths. finding resources on politics will be much more difficult. Maths is quite a simple object if u practice early on
I'd go for Maths, simply because there are an enormous number of resources available and the content is structured in a very clear, procedural fashion. Personally I did 6 A-levels (self-studying 2), and the amount of time you need to sacrifice is significant, especially if you're planning on taking the whole A-level in one year. It's worth it if you enjoy a challenge, and it can be a talking point in future job interviews. Maths will also be especially useful if you want to apply for any job requiring numerical competence in future, e.g. in the financial services: having an A-level Maths (especially if it's an A*) will really help your case.

Quick Reply

Latest