DashaSimonova
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi im doing an advanced higher English dissertation and have no clue what books or topics to pick. I have thought about horror and the body by Stephen king as well as romance master and margarita bit I have no clue what other books or topics would suit them. Could someone help.
LucyH2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
as you mentioned horror, perhaps you could extend that to the gothic?like for topics you could discuss the development and distinction between terror/female & horror/male gothic and it's progression/ how the binaries of horror and terror are challenged by the very nature of gothic which seeks to obscure such clear cut boundaries. topics wise, you maybe could consider the different focal points within horror and how that has developed too; societal fears and their reflection and adaptations (from science/industrialisation to technology). Romance and the Gothic could be a good topic too? Like their relationship and reception (you could look at the parody Northanger Abbey by Austen and romantic/gothic works)
I don't really know how dissertations work (sorry if this is completely unhelpful) but reading articles and brain storming could prove useful.
for books, if you like Stephen King, Edgar Allen Poe is also a good read.
also Angela Carter's a bloody chamber is a great read (and mix of horror/romance in ways)
hope it goes well! (and that this was somewhat useful)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
58.72%
No (52)
22.13%
Not sure (45)
19.15%

Watched Threads