Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for work experience at chester zoo for early next year and have an interview in july for it.
    I was just wondering if anyone else on here has applied and had/have an interview and what sort of questions come up in the interview and how formal it all was.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i know of a sub who has worked in chester zoo for real, so do you want me to direct her to this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, that would be helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have been to chester zoo to study behaviour- and the park is lovely. Maybe because they had Prezwalski Wild Horses :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied!! Only sent the application off last week though :p:
    Waiting to hear!

ReputationRep:
    I will be going on a work experience at a zoo in Bangkok as well. What sort of things do I expect to be doing? Observe animal behaviours? Feed them food? >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)
    Ive applied!! Only sent the application off last week though :p:
    Waiting to hear!
    Good luck!! When have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Anytime next year!
    Im going to Paignton Zoo for 3 weeks Jan/Feb though

ReputationRep:
    That's good
    I've applied for any length of time between January to mid-April, excluding 2 weeks for lambing - which I definitely need! lol

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh lol i did quite a bit of lambing this year on the dairy farm i work on, and ill be there again next year!!
    I need to look into some abattoirs sometime i think, soon as these exams are over ill have a ring around, chuck the tent in the back of the car and go for a bit of a travel

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I need abattoir as well, but I've found one abattoir that is able to have me one monday morning in the summer hols. They only do cattle, but that's enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    im going to apply for london zoo work exp in september, but its more organised there, they only have a certain number of placements for a certain amount of time etc, and its much harder to get. it wont therefore be organised before i send off ucas, but hopefully before any potential interviews

ReputationRep:
    The thing with chester zoo is that they have a specific date to call for an application form (so everyone can get them at the same time), which for work experience next year started 1st May this year. Then if your application form is good enough, they invite you for an interview and then after that tell you whether you've got in. It's a bit like applying for vet med really, the process - not the difficulty (I hope) of getting in.
    Did anyone watch zoo days on channel 5? One of my interviewers is alan woodward - head lion keeper that brought up Tejas. I've heard he's a lot taller and broader than he looks on zoo days!!

ReputationRep:
    I applied ages ago and got a letter back saying I'd have to do a minimum of a month etc- but I couldn't do it in the summer as I've got other work experience to do and I can't do it next summer as I'm going to Kenya. Also, I couldn't get time off school. so how are you guys doing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad_lemming)
    I applied ages ago and got a letter back saying I'd have to do a minimum of a month etc- but I couldn't do it in the summer as I've got other work experience to do and I can't do it next summer as I'm going to Kenya. Also, I couldn't get time off school. so how are you guys doing it?
    Im gonna be on a gap year
    I havent heard yet though, karate_kat how long did it take before you heard from them after your application??

ReputationRep:
    Ermm... I gave the form in on the 6th May, then I got the letter last week so about 4 weeks.
    And I'm able to do it as I'm on a gap year as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh i seeee, I have a bit more of a wait then

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I was expecting them to be a bit quicker, but I didn't mind waiting, as long as I got an interview in the end!!

ReputationRep:
    Annaconda...if you do manage to get work exp...you'll love it!! I went there for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and loved every minute. I commuted in by train every day which was a bit of a trek...2 hours so to be there at 8 I had to be on the 6am train!!!! But it was a lot cheaper than staying in the centre of London for 2 weeks! Its well worth it tho, and I was lucky enough to get chance to spend 2 weeks at Whipsnade as well! Because they are both run by ZSL, it was really interesting to see how the two were run differently.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.