[HELP!] Need Advice on Resits and Law Firms Watch

IIPolaroidII
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello there. I'm rather lost at the moment and I don't really know where else to ask for help, so I figured maybe you guys could help me.

I've just finished up my exams for A Levels and I'm rather pessimistic about the whole ordeal. I'm almost certain that I've missed my 1st choice offer for KCL (AAA) and I'm trying to prepare in case I miss my 2nd choice offer for York (AAB). I know that law firms are rather strict about minimum A Level requirements and I fear that, even if I were to just take a year out to retake A Levels, these law firms wouldn't accept them due to the fact that they're resits.

I guess the question I'm asking is: what should I do if I don't get at least AAB? Should I resit the grades I miss? Should I resit all A Levels so I can say the A Levels were all done at the same time? Should I not resit at all? I'm trying to prepare in any way possible so I can still leave the path open to a training contract at a good firm down the line.

Sorry if this post seems too presumptuous.

Thanks in advance.
nluar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Uni’s usually let you in if you miss a grade. If you really want AAA/AAB and don’t achieve it then perhaps consider resitting what you didn’t get or getting your paper remarked if you were a few marks off what you wanted. Is there really any point resitting an a level you got an A in?

I’m in the same boat - I need AAB minimum for Bristol Law and most firms won’t allow you to go through the application process with less than AAB.

Firms won’t particularly care about when you’ve sat your a levels, they don’t ask for the date of your examinations - they’ll care about the grades you got more.

I’m doubting myself now after sitting a levels but honestly the best thing to do right now is not think about it because there’s nothing you’ll realistically be able to do until your results come out on August so just don’t stress over it right now, you’ll cross that bridge when you get to it

Hope you get what you want though! 🤞 I’m sure you’ll be totally fine regardless
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IIPolaroidII)
Hello there. I'm rather lost at the moment and I don't really know where else to ask for help, so I figured maybe you guys could help me.

I've just finished up my exams for A Levels and I'm rather pessimistic about the whole ordeal. I'm almost certain that I've missed my 1st choice offer for KCL (AAA) and I'm trying to prepare in case I miss my 2nd choice offer for York (AAB). I know that law firms are rather strict about minimum A Level requirements and I fear that, even if I were to just take a year out to retake A Levels, these law firms wouldn't accept them due to the fact that they're resits.

I guess the question I'm asking is: what should I do if I don't get at least AAB? Should I resit the grades I miss? Should I resit all A Levels so I can say the A Levels were all done at the same time? Should I not resit at all? I'm trying to prepare in any way possible so I can still leave the path open to a training contract at a good firm down the line.

Sorry if this post seems too presumptuous.

Thanks in advance.
My daughter went throught the whole process of applying to law firms for training contracts with BBB so I know a bit about this. With ABB she would have had a lot more choice of firms to apply to, (more still with AAB) - it was quite tricky with BBB but she was careful about where she applied. One thing we did find was that all the good firms were very strict with asking about resits, so I wouldn't advise you doing that as they will see that you sat the exams twice and that won't help your application.
Last edited by harrysbar; 4 weeks ago
Illdecidelater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did she secure a training contract ?
(Original post by harrysbar)
My daughter went throught the whole process of applying to law firms for training contracts with BBB so I know a bit about this. With ABB she would have had a lot more choice of firms to apply to, (more still with AAB) - it was quite tricky with BBB but she was careful about where she applied. One thing we did find was that all the good firms were very strict with asking about resits, so I wouldn't advise you doing that as they will see that you sat the exams twice and that won't help your application.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Illdecidelater)
Did she secure a training contract ?
No, but she did secure a couple of vacation schemes which are sometimes a first step towards getting a training contract. But she wasn't enjoying the GDL at all and when she only got a Pass in the end of year exams, she decided to give up and do something else (she had been advised by a careers adviser at Kaplan that realistically she would find it extremely hard to get a TC with anything less than a Merit). So with the double whammy of the BBB at A level and the Pass grade on the GDL, she made the decision to cut her losses. I think she made the right choice - Law is a very hard career to break into if you aren't very academic.
Illdecidelater
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, but she did secure a couple of vacation schemes which are sometimes a first step towards getting a training contract. But she wasn't enjoying the GDL at all and when she only got a Pass in the end of year exams, she decided to give up and do something else (she had been advised by a careers adviser at Kaplan that realistically she would find it extremely hard to get a TC with anything less than a Merit). So with the double whammy of the BBB at A level and the Pass grade on the GDL, she made the decision to cut her losses. I think she made the right choice - Law is a very hard career to break into if you aren't very academic.
Thank you! Do you know by any chance where she secured a vacation scheme from?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Illdecidelater)
Thank you! Do you know by any chance where she secured a vacation scheme from?
One was Blake Morgan but I can't remember the other one, sorry
Illdecidelater
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
One was Blake Morgan but I can't remember the other one, sorry
Thank you !
steana12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I just got my IB results and I got 40 points with 766 at HL. I was wondering whether anyone knows what IB score would be preferred by top law firms ie Clifford Chance to do their training schemes or apply for a job as a solicitor? To what extent does the score actually matter, apart from providing the initial cut-off point? Thank you!
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Initially, academic grades grant you consideration by the law firm.

After this, it's a free for all.

Video interviews/face-to-face interviews and assessment days are the main factors in applications for TCs, vacation schemes etc.
(Original post by steana12)
Hi! I just got my IB results and I got 40 points with 766 at HL. I was wondering whether anyone knows what IB score would be preferred by top law firms ie Clifford Chance to do their training schemes or apply for a job as a solicitor? To what extent does the score actually matter, apart from providing the initial cut-off point? Thank you!
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A-levels count progressively for less as you get more recent university grades

Using them as a cut-off would leave a ridiculously large pool of candidates that would have to be distinguished on the basis of... not that much (particularly for first year schemes)
steana12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok thank you so much!
Varis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I had similar grades and I received an offer from Clifford Chance. I've also received offers from other firms that are more 'elitist' when it comes to grades like Slaughters. You'll be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads