The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Renal
So we've gone from 'everybody likes diversity' to 'everybody should like diversity'? Fair enough - but who tells you how you should think?

I didn't say 'everybody like diversity'. You said why do people like living in diverse areas - the logical answer, and the one from my personal experience, is that they like the diversity. However, I didn't say that is the only reason or even the main one - just a logical suggestion in response to your question.

Secondly, I didn't say 'everybody should like diversity' just that is wrong to assume that areas of diversity are worse places to live, as it has many benefits.

No one tells me how I should think and I am not telling other people how they should think. Maybe you should re-read my posts.
Reply 161
affinity89
I didn't say 'everybody like diversity'.

No, you said;
affinity89
Because diversity is good.

You said why do people like living in diverse areas - the logical answer, and the one from my personal experience, is that they like the diversity.
No, I asked;
If that's a fact I'm sure there'd be some evidence, wouldn't there?

Secondly, I didn't say 'everybody should like diversity' just that is wrong to assume that areas of diversity are worse places to live, as it has many benefits.
No, you said;
Because diversity is good.

No one tells me how I should think and I am not telling other people how they should think. Maybe you should re-read my posts.
Maybe you should. :wink:
Then you can come back to withdraw your assertion.
Reply 162
My totally middle-class area has around 99% whites. For example, in my school of around 660 people, there's only 6 who are dark.
Reply 163
too diverse....
Renal
Maybe you should. :wink:
Then you can come back to withdraw your assertion.

Gan
Again, NOT racist, just wondering why people are saying they like living in the places that are high in the list.

Affinity89
Because diversity is good. It is nice to live somewhere where people get on regardless of their background. Plus, it makes life more interesting as you get to meet people who otherwise you wouldn't have. Although that list says Manchester is still 81% white, I don't think I'd want to live somewhere were it is like 90% white as I would find it too strange to walk down the street and for almost everyone to be white. It would just seem odd.
Plus, a lot of the petty crime committed where I live is committed by groups of white teenage lads. So, I don't really understand why an area that is diverse would be have a higher crime rate than anywhere else to be honest.

Fair enough, it wasn't in response to your question but my point stands. I answered a question with personal suggestions of why I like to live in an area of diversity and the benefits I think it has. Hence, I didn't suggest everyone else should or would agree - some might but clearly some won't.

Renal
If that's a fact I'm sure there'd be some evidence, wouldn't there?

Again, I didn't say it was a fact. There is a difference between a subjective statement and an objective fact. It was made pretty clear with the highly personal reasons I gave for it.

As mentioned, my suggestion that diversity is good came from personal experience and the logic that people must like it to some degree otherwise they wouldn't be saying they like living in diverse areas. Factual evidence as to why people enjoy living somewhere is not very easy to find - it is all subjective and public opinion polls and the like are hard to verify anyway.

Affinity
Personally, I would hate to live somewhere that lacked diversity. I think it is key to having an open mind and a breath of experiences. Crime happens. It happens even in the sleepest of villages. People who assume diversity = crime are jumping the gun. As I said, most of the crime caused in my area is caused by bored white teenage boys and usually consists of acts of mindless vandalism, such as setting fire to the fields. It is not caused by diversity or encouraged by it. Hence, I believe diversity is good. Some channel 4 list isn't going to change that.

Yet more personal suggestions to your assumption. I do believe that if you live somewhere where you only mix with people of one religion or one culture or one race then chances are you will lack the openmindedness of someone who has grown up in a more mixed environment. Not always the case. No doubt some people grow resentful towards other cultures and races because they have grown up in a mixed area. Maybe I was wrong to say it was "key" because that isn't a true representation of my feelings but other than that, I still can't see why I am saying people 'should' live in areas of diversity. I am just pointing out that it isn't all negative if you do so.

You clearly like my subjective statement "diversity is good" as you have looped back to it more than once - in fact, about three times. When people are discussing ideas, the exchange progresses. Just because you are quoting something out of context that has already been dealt with doesn't make your point any more valid.

To clear up:

I (yep that is me being subjective again) think some people like living in diverse areas because it can bring about benefits. Plus, I don't agree that diversity has to equal greater crime rates. Sometimes the two go hand in hand but it is wrong to assume that a diversity of people in an area means it has to have high crime rates.

I cannot be bothered saying the same thing again so if you do quote me again, I probably won't reply. Especially if you quote "diversity is good" out of context, yet again.
Reply 165
affinity89
Especially if you quote "diversity is good" out of context, yet again.
It was actually "diversity is good". :p:
97.5% White, 1.6% Asian, 0.2% Black and 0.2% other.
#41 Barking and Dagenham 85.2% White, 5.1% Asian, 7.0% Black, and 0.5% other.

It's only 85.2% White if you include the Kosovans and Albanians.
Mastermind`
#41 Barking and Dagenham

unlucky
Reply 169
98.8% white...not that diverse.
My home is 225th on the list 98.3% white whilst where I live at uni is 79th.
Reply 171
*Fool'sGold*
Yeah very true. But ethnic diversity doesn't just mean immigrants, I mean I'm sure many of the ethnic families who live in the inner city boroughs of London are second of even third generation, and may not even be immigrants at all.

To be fair though, the whole area round here is very white, but I'm used to it really.

Note: That's why I made two separate points: one about ethnic people and one about immigrants.
Reply 172
brimstone
If you don't know, have a look here.

Apparently, I live in the 9th most diverse district in the country. :cool:. Although from what I read, the town I live in (in the borough) has a population of about 40% white, 40% Asian and 20% other

You?

redbridge + your town 40% asian = you live in ilford? yeh....you do:cool:
Where I live 100% white....
Reply 174
ZOIKA
redbridge + your town 40% asian = you live in ilford? yeh....you do:cool:

Good work Sherlock :cool:
No.1 baby! Proud(ish) Newham resident here :biggrin:

Our council claim it's the most ethnically diverse place on the planet. I think I'd have to agree.
Reply 176
My road is predominately non-white as it is full to the brim of take-aways.

My area is moderately so, I'm not looking through that list.
Reply 177
mdcrisp2000
No.1 baby! Proud(ish) Newham resident here :biggrin:

Our council claim it's the most ethnically diverse place on the planet. I think I'd have to agree.

I don't get why people are so proud of being in diverse areas (not saying they should be ashamed). You could live in a very diverse area yet it could still be intolerant and have all sorts of race conflicts and race riots. People who live in largely white areas aren't necessarily intolerant - in most cases its not their fault that "ethnic minorities" haven't moved there. Eg you could find a little village of 200 people with no ethnic population yet the people could be very tolerant and you could find a massive city area with 25% white 25% black 25% asian and 25% arabic (very diverse and equal) yet it could be full of racists and race conflicts.
gm15
I don't get why people are so proud of being in diverse areas (not saying they should be ashamed).

I don't understand why people can't be happy to live in diverse areas. Just because some is proud to doesn't mean they are casting judgements on anyone else.
gm15
I don't get why people are so proud of being in diverse areas (not saying they should be ashamed). You could live in a very diverse area yet it could still be intolerant and have all sorts of race conflicts and race riots. People who live in largely white areas aren't necessarily intolerant - in most cases its not their fault that "ethnic minorities" haven't moved there. Eg you could find a little village of 200 people with no ethnic population yet the people could be very tolerant and you could find a massive city area with 25% white 25% black 25% asian and 25% arabic (very diverse and equal) yet it could be full of racists and race conflicts.

I don't disagree at all. There are plenty of racist people round here... I know a fair few, unfortunately.

Personally, I think that growing up in Newham has made me a much better person; I know and have experienced countless different cultures, many of which I think I would otherwise have been intolerant towards. This may not be the case for everybody, but it certainly is for me. It's the whole 'people fear what the know nothing about' thing. I am thankful that I have grown up in an environment where I have experienced all this first hand. I think it's taught me a lot.

But being a highly diverse area, poverty is high, crime is high and it's generally a pretty crappy place to live. I definately don't enjoy that aspect of it and I do want to move out eventually... I'm going to uni in Scotland for god sake!

There are benefits are disadvantages to living in an area like this. I'm lucky in that I have benefited a lot from being here and I can afford to move out, away from all the grime and crime in the area. I get the best of both worlds :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending