Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My handwriting is atrocious and I was wondering if the computer scanners will downgrade my exam scripts because of this. Also for answers in for my biology and chemistry I wrote a lot of longwinded answers for 2 or 3 mark questions. Even if my answers were right,do you think that the scanners will mark them as incorrect as my answers were pretty long and not to the point.

ReputationRep:
    no reply?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine. I had (and still have) terrible handwriting and it wasn't a problem for my GCSEs. I found that trying to write larger helped a bit, or just taking your time a little more.

As for long winded answers, as long as they include whatever's on the mark scheme, then you will still gain the marks.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply but like this year AQA have introuduced computer scanners, so will that mean that the computers wont be able to read handwriting that is messy nor will they make correctly longwinded answers?

ReputationRep:
    They are only scanned so that they can be sent to examiners to mark which means that they have less paper and their is less of a chance of them getting lost so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be fine... after all, examiners will be used to dealing with bad handwriting, whether or not it is scanned in. As for the long winded-ness, I do that as well... as long as you've got the answer in there somewhere, you should get the marks

ReputationRep:
    OMG I have the same problem!
    My handwriting is disgusting, my teachers have adapted to it but I dont think examiners will have the time to.
    I'm worried I'm going to get marked down because the examiners will have such a hard time reading, especially in essay based exams like ENGLISH!

I cant really change it now because my exams have ended (yipee!)
    I SOMETIMES find it hard to read my own writing

Like my friends say:
    "Its a sad day when someone cant read your handwriting but a sadder day when you cant read your own"

At least thats one problem you dont have.

ReputationRep:
    It's not scanned by the computers so that the computers recognise it, it's done so that the marking can be done via computers by examiners.

ReputationRep:
    yeah thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah my handwriting is atrocious but I can just about read it myself ..if i try hard enough

ReputationRep:
    My handwriting seems to start of okay but then gets scruffy as I go along because I write fast to nt go past time and not finish the exam in time..o one section of my r.e I took ime out to write a whole page very neat so the examiner knew I do have nice writing when i try.

ReputationRep:
    lol i have the same problem, my handwriting is ok if i know what i'm writing... but in my english exams and r.e exam there was so much scribbling out and i could barely read it myself lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malsi101)
    My handwriting seems to start of okay but then gets scruffy as I go along because I write fast to nt go past time and not finish the exam in time..o one section of my r.e I took ime out to write a whole page very neat so the examiner knew I do have nice writing when i try.
    How did you manage that?
    Are your R.E exams anything like mine? They give us 15 pages to fill up in 2 hours, well I think your supposed to, so we never have extra time at the end. We're all busy trying to finish the damn paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceorl.Euphoria)
    How did you manage that?
    Are your R.E exams anything like mine? They give us 15 pages to fill up in 2 hours, well I think your supposed to, so we never have extra time at the end. We're all busy trying to finish the damn paper!

Its just like answering a question in you best handwriting well better than the other quetions you answered

anyways in my exam we had section1 then paper then section 2 then paper etc so basically you can do whatever section in whatever order (as long as you do it all) Soon one section I did super nice writing compared to the rest....hav you grasped it now

ReputationRep:
    Its just like answering a question in you best handwriting well better than the other quetions you answered

anyways in my exam we had section1 then paper then section 2 then paper etc so basically you can do whatever section in whatever order (as long as you do it all) Soon one section I did super nice writing compared to the rest....hav you grasped it now

Haha!
    I meant to stress on the shortage of time...Not exactly HOW!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayRock)
    My handwriting is atrocious and I was wondering if the computer scanners will downgrade my exam scripts because of this. Also for answers in for my biology and chemistry I wrote a lot of longwinded answers for 2 or 3 mark questions. Even if my answers were right,do you think that the scanners will mark them as incorrect as my answers were pretty long and not to the point.
    dont worry whyhandwriting is awful as well. they have special sections for illegible handwriting and you only lose marks for quality of written communication. They will mark the original if they cannot read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayRock)
    dont worry whyhandwriting is awful as well. they have special sections for illegible handwriting and you only lose marks for quality of written communication. They will mark the original if they cannot read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceorl.Euphoria)
    Haha!
    I meant to stress on the shortage of time...Not exactly HOW!! :p:
    Oh yeah I never have time to loo back because there never is enought time what I mean is because I want to finish in time I rush which makes my handwriting poor....I think Im having a *dumb blode* momen beause I just dont understand what you mean?does that answer mean any better to you now

sorry if it dont

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I never have time to loo back because there never is enought time what I mean is because I want to finish in time I rush which makes my handwriting poor....I think Im having a *dumb blode* momen beause I just dont understand what you mean?does that answer mean any better to you now

sorry if it dont

Lol, no worries!
    I never have time to look back either, but my handrwriting is terrible from start to finish.

ReputationRep:
    I spend my checking time finding words that are illegible and re-writing them =P

My normal writing is usually too showy to read properly so I change it completely for exams.

It's always a bonus to be concise with neat writing as it just makes the examiners job easier, maybe getting an extra mark in the process whereas hiding the answer may just come across as vague. However, I think examiners (excluding English and QWL questions) are looking for the answer anyway, so any illegible or irrelevant information is filtered anyway.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.