The Student Room Group

False accusation of plagerism

I do LLB law in the university of Bedfordshire, and recently we had a project for commercial law due which went towards 100% of our grade. I am a student representative and I can tell you the whole class worked our ASSES of for this project only to find out a day ago that half the student got no grade including me (0%) for PLAGERISM 75% similarity so says the system however I can bow down now and swear I didn't plagerize. We are currently waiting for a letter from the uni I'm the meantime I'm emailing lecturers and course coordinators for their help but no one wants to help and I cannot redo this assignment again... anyone have any tips or points or can help with any info at all?? please reply... this is something I am NOT willing to let go.
Chances are the letter will lay out any right of appeal that you have, but even if it doesn't the university will have a grievance procedure. You should wait for the letter in the first instance anyway, but if you don't get it soon or if it doesn't advise as to ways that you can challenge the finding, the grievance procedure is what you'll need.
Your student union should be able to offer you independent advice. Lecturers are not generally in a position to comment once an allegation has been made. SU advisers will know the uni's procedure and be able to advise you accordingly. Take a copy of the letter with you and, if you are able to, a copy of the Turnitin report for your work.
Original post by Mercedezselo
I do LLB law in the university of Bedfordshire, and recently we had a project for commercial law due which went towards 100% of our grade. I am a student representative and I can tell you the whole class worked our ASSES of for this project only to find out a day ago that half the student got no grade including me (0%) for PLAGERISM 75% similarity so says the system however I can bow down now and swear I didn't plagerize. We are currently waiting for a letter from the uni I'm the meantime I'm emailing lecturers and course coordinators for their help but no one wants to help and I cannot redo this assignment again... anyone have any tips or points or can help with any info at all?? please reply... this is something I am NOT willing to let go.
(edited 4 years ago)

Hello, you can email [email protected] who will be able to provide you with information on the next steps :smile:.
Just be aware that Uni of Law and Bedfordshire will have different appeal procedures and time limits :smile:
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hello, you can email [email protected] who will be able to provide you with information on the next steps :smile:.

Can you keep us informed on this?

Universities are normally very reliable on mass plagiarism allegations. It isn’t usually a case of “computer says cheat”. Mass plagiarism is usually so significant for the university department that a committee will examine the offending scripts and then make sure the material doesn’t come from a common source such as a textbook or lecture.

Mass plagiarism is different to ordinary plagiarism. Ordinary plagiarism is normally about poor academic skills. Mass plagiarism is about poor academic ethics.
Nope I checked over and over and I really do know I did a good job with my punctuality
Original post by nulli tertius
Can you keep us informed on this?

Universities are normally very reliable on mass plagiarism allegations. It isn’t usually a case of “computer says cheat”. Mass plagiarism is usually so significant for the university department that a committee will examine the offending scripts and then make sure the material doesn’t come from a common source such as a textbook or lecture.

Mass plagiarism is different to ordinary plagiarism. Ordinary plagiarism is normally about poor academic skills. Mass plagiarism is about poor academic ethics.

To keep you informed... I didn't win my case, they made me do it again and I got capped. Even though I showed where my work was from and everything. They kept using the excuse... turnitin doesn't lie. Pathetic.
Does turn it in show which book/article it found the matched material in?
To keep you informed... I didn't win my case, they made me do it again and I got capped. Even though I showed where my work was from and everything. They kept using the excuse... turnitin doesn't lie. Pathetic.

Did you end up on your own or were half the cohort punished in this way?
Reply 10
Nope I checked over and over and I really do know I did a good job with my punctuality

I think you missed this one.
https://medium.com/@HJRomero25/why-i-absolutely-protest-turnitin-a9b3f38ab24a

Turnitin sounds like a menace.

QUOTE: "Note that for the reasons listed below a high percentage score is not “proof” of plagiarism. Faculty must evaluate passages individually to make a more accurate determination that a case of plagiarism may have occurred."from https://turnitin.psu.edu/bestpractices/usingreports/.

Can you get your uni to follow Turnitin's own instructions and evaluate your essay properly?
The head of the academic court at my uni (what a title!) is so aggressive and that’s hampered students from challenging her decisions. Get a copy of turn-it-in’s report and make an appeal to the most senior person at your uni who looks at academic misconduct. Go through your Students’ Union Education Officer.
Any update ? This was four months ago
Original post by Welshvisitor
Does turn it in show which book/article it found the matched material in?

Yes! And turnitin said I stole work from over 53 universities in over 35 different countries....it was flagging up words like "and" and "was it" etc
Original post by nulli tertius
Did you end up on your own or were half the cohort punished in this

I was not on my own no
Original post by Welshvisitor
Any update ? This was four months ago

They made me do it again and I got capped ...
Yes! And turnitin said I stole work from over 53 universities in over 35 different countries....it was flagging up words like "and" and "was it" etc

this sounds horrendous. I am sorry you got capped. Keep the documentation that states this, it may be helpful in future to you, you may have to appeal your degree class

Latest

Trending

Trending