The Student Room Group

Research with digital volunteers

I’m a sociologist working at the University of Surrey (http://www.surrey.ac.uk/people/christine-hine and I am carrying out research on the experiences of digital volunteers that is, people who have an ongoing commitment or responsibility on a voluntary basis to do work that is wholly, or mostly, done online. This might involve maintaining a social media presence for an organization, building web content, moderating a discussion forum, or doing data entry/clean-up work, for example. I’m looking for UK-based participants who are aged over 18.

My research is focused on finding out more about what the experience of this kind of volunteering is like how do people initially get involved, how do they stay motivated and what are the challenges. I hope the research will increase knowledge about this important and growing form of volunteering and that it will help to identify ways to better support digital volunteers. This is pilot research at present, aimed at scoping out what the focus of a bigger future study should be.

I’m conducting interviews via Skype over the next few weeks, and I would be really grateful for volunteers in my target group who are willing to be interviewed, at a time convenient to you. If you are interested in learning more about taking part, please pm me your email contact details and I will send you fuller information.
Thanks
Done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending