College Watch

Cake360
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently 19 years old and have just done my first year at College studying a two year Level 3 IT course. I am in my first year because the year before that I did my first year of childcare where i was 18 at that time, but they kicked me out for an unfair reason. After year 11 when I was 17 I was doing a performing arts course but wasn't talented enough so got kicked out. Now I am in my first year of the two year course. I am worried and scared that I am going to be kicked out again because my tutor said that anyone who's allowed to continue in the second year should have a received a letter and those that haven't will get spoken to. I'm scared because it means I going to get kicked off the course and if I am my life is over and I will have no career, because college courses are only free for under 19's and I was under 19 when I started my first year of my current IT course so it would be free even the second year because I am continuing where I left off. But if I am kicked off, I have wasted 3 years which means my life is ruined. I have passed all my units for the first year, my attendnce and punctuality were above 94 percent and I handed work in on time, so the reason I'm scared that I am going to get kicked out is because in January they said I wasn't focusing in lessons and my work ethic wasn't good and I wouldn't pass all the units if I didn't focus. But now I have passed all the units. I was thinking of writing an easy explaining why they should keep me for second year, I just need some ideas on how to prove that I am capable because I'm just stressed right now.
Last edited by shadowdweller; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cake360)
I am currently 19 years old and have just done my first year at College studying a two year Level 3 IT course. I am in my first year because the year before that I did my first year of childcare where i was 18 at that time, but they kicked me out for an unfair reason. After year 11 when I was 17 I was doing a performing arts course but wasn't talented enough so got kicked out. Now I am in my first year of the two year course. I am worried and scared that I am going to be kicked out again because my tutor said that anyone who's allowed to continue in the second year should have a received a letter and those that haven't will get spoken to. I'm scared because it means I going to get kicked off the course and if I am my life is over and I will have no career, because college courses are only free for under 19's and I was under 19 when I started my first year of my current IT course so it would be free even the second year because I am continuing where I left off. But if I am kicked off, I have wasted 3 years which means my life is ruined. I have passed all my units for the first year, my attendnce and punctuality were above 94 percent and I handed work in on time, so the reason I'm scared that I am going to get kicked out is because in January they said I wasn't focusing in lessons and my work ethic wasn't good and I wouldn't pass all the units if I didn't focus. But now I have passed all the units. I was thinking of writing an easy explaining why they should keep me for second year, I just need some ideas on how to prove that I am capable because I'm just stressed right now.
So you have performing arts course- withdrawn after a year.
Childcare course- withdrawn after a year.
IT course- fear of being withdrawn after a year and you are now 19?

Ok am with it now. If I were in your position I wouldnt be worried as you say you have had good attendance and passed all units.
Unless you were disruptive in class then I dont think not paying attention is a good enough reason.
In any event either you or your parent cant contact them to see what your status is. You can write them a letter if you wish, but I would want to find out sooner rather than later if theres an issue.

I assume you are doing some sort of btec level 3 extended diploma? Are you getting bare passes or merits and distinctions? If its bare passes then I would reassess whether its the right subject as your grade is going to be very limited.

Although attending then if they are saying your work ethic and attention isnt good then they obviously have concerns about your behaviour as student, which considering you are an adult now seems a little odd. Maybe you can speak to a careers adviser?
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

Its going to be hard to convince them when you have a track record of poor behaviour or poor marks.

I suppose you can say you very much enjoy the course, your attendance has been good , but you know you have work to do on your focus and applications, so you will be seeking to improve in year 2. If they do kick you, then you need to learn from it.

You can get a loan for another course, but it has to be suited to you plus you will need to address these issues otherwise being withdrawn from courses is just getting silly. The alternative is an apprenticeship or job where your behaviour will need to be improved and they will be less tolerant.

Your life certainly isnt over, just a set back, but you need to accept responsibility the problems are created by you. Still plenty of time to make a success of things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby