Is a college accommodation near Cowley advisable? Watch

Emmaprayer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Does anyone know about college accomodation near Cowley? I have been allocated a single room in Stonemason House for 50 weeks by St Cross. Is it advicable to take up the accomodation offer? I am concerned that it is quite far from my department and am not sure whether I could lent it out during summer since I won't stay in Oxford then. Any advice would be truly appreciated!!
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Emmaprayer)
Does anyone know about college accomodation near Cowley? I have been allocated a single room in Stonemason House for 50 weeks by St Cross. Is it advicable to take up the accomodation offer? I am concerned that it is quite far from my department and am not sure whether I could lent it out during summer since I won't stay in Oxford then. Any advice would be truly appreciated!!
It is barely in Cowley. A private letting is likely to be quite a bit further out. You won't be allowed to sub-let. St Cross offers shorter 44 week agreements. Can you see if you can get one of these?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Where is the department? You might struggle to get something closer.

Obviously cost is a consideration, which you have given us no info regarding. For graduates it may or may not be cheaper tbh.

It is up to you to determine if a shorter lease is possible. If unclear from the info given contact the college.
Emmaprayer
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info. St Cross does have properties that offer 44-week agreement while it writes Stonemason will lend for 50 weeks. Thank you for mentioning this. I will further consult college accommodation team.
(Original post by nulli tertius)
It is barely in Cowley. A private letting is likely to be quite a bit further out. You won't be allowed to sub-let. St Cross offers shorter 44 week agreements. Can you see if you can get one of these?
Emmaprayer
Rep:
?
My department is at Mansfield road. Yes, I find it is quite hard to find closer college/uni accomodation right now.

The rent for the double category (single occupancy) in stonemason is £173.89 pw, quite expensive compared to other singles of the college accomodation.

Thank you very much for your advice! I will contact the college asking them about the contract length.

(Original post by nexttime)
Where is the department? You might struggle to get something closer.

Obviously cost is a consideration, which you have given us no info regarding. For graduates it may or may not be cheaper tbh.

It is up to you to determine if a shorter lease is possible. If unclear from the info given contact the college.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Emmaprayer)
My department is at Mansfield road. Yes, I find it is quite hard to find closer college/uni accomodation right now.

The rent for the double category (single occupancy) in stonemason is £173.89 pw, quite expensive compared to other singles of the college accomodation.

Thank you very much for your advice! I will contact the college asking them about the contract length.
I agree that is a LOT for a 50 week contract! £8700 per year - wow. I'd definitely be looking hard for ways to bring that expense down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?