Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alot of GCSE C to B grade students are getting A's at A level, when the top performing students at GCSE are getting D-B grades.:confused:
    I know someone who only scored C grades at GCSE, but is now getting A grades on most things, and its the opposite for students who where gaining A grades at GCSE.

To be honset i find AS and GCSE the same, if a little more work.Im not sure how im going to find A2 though:rolleyes: .

Anyone else finding that Low GCSE performers succed well at A level.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    From what i've heard, a lot of GCSE students who didn't do as well as they expected were more motivated to were harder and do better at A levels..

ReputationRep:
    Yep, its true. I got more or less all A's/A*s at GCSE and I'm convinced that I've not got my predicted grades of AAAAa. Many like me do get big headed as i have and get complacent/

Actually i agree with this. Tbh i think its due to motivation, people who dont do as well as they expect at GCSE show more determination at A-level and therefore do better. However people who do well to beginning with put the same amount of effort in at A-levels when it clearly requires more.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted C and B grades At GCSE and i scored A's and B's.I get that at A level, bu im predicted A,B,B and i only need B,B,B for the joint honours course i want.

ReputationRep:
    I think lilac has put it well.I know someone who scored a D at GCSE history is now getting B's.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE is such an easy test that the people capable of getting straight A's at A-level felt little to no motivation to study for GCSE. For me GCSE was a tedious hurdle and instead of getting my predicted 8 A*s I only got 3. GCSE is a memory exercise for the most part - not an intellectual challenge..

ReputationRep:
    People who well at GCSEs think that A-Levels will be the same.

But they're actually a different kettle of fish

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i did really well at GCSE, and now ive really not done well this year (AS). I dont know if i thought it was going to be same as year 11, i dont think i did really, i was expecting the content to be hard. I dunno, it just seems to go that way i guess..

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's involved very little work for 10 *'s and 2 A's. AS level needed more worrk, but the greatest jump in workload was AS to A2. I got lucky with a UMS haul in all my subjects for AS so i can take it easy, but if i was under pressure then im pretty confident i could ace the exams.

Not meaning to sound big headed, but just highlighting that i think that people who flunked GCSE may well be motivated to A2, but i dont think the inverse is true.

ReputationRep:
    Good opinions here.I dont think AS is that hard.It just learning everything about your subjects.If you have a good memory you should find it not too hard, well i think that.

Thanks for all the input.

ReputationRep:
    i got as and a*s at gcse and got as throughout as and am hoping to get as at a level, i dont rele know many people who did well as gcse who are struggling at a levels

ReputationRep:
    I'm a testament to this theory!
    6A*s and 4A's at GCSE yet I got BBCC last year which was v.disappointing!
    Guys, take it from me, don't become complacent otherwise you will have to work your little ass off at A2. Not fun!

ReputationRep:
    Yea I definitely think GCSEs gave me a really bad work ethic... They weren't particularly hard therefore I didnt have to revise much for them plus I did barely any homework.

Come ASs I got ridiculous amounts of work and probably left my revision too late. I dont think Ive got Ds and Es *please noooo* but I dont think Ive got all As as I was predicted. I think the two Gcse years basically made me lazy and now its really hard for me to motivate myself to do the work unless I'm under real pressure e.g. night before an exam... Not Good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTB)
    Yep, its true. I got more or less all A's/A*s at GCSE and I'm convinced that I've not got my predicted grades of AAAAa. Many like me do get big headed as i have and get complacent/
    Exactly! I've become so complacent this year and I got more or less all As/A*s..

So its not all about how well you did at GCSEs because I'm pretty certain I've messed up this year

ReputationRep:
    I got AABBBBCCCC for GCSE and am well on my way for AAB at a-level, I don't really know what to make of that.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of it is probably the subject choices.

I got 4 A*, 5 A, and 2B'S and took maths, physics, eng lang and history whereas someone i know got mostly b's and c's, took easier subject (won't specify in case of offence =P) and will probably get better grades than me.

Thats just a hunch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student070707)
    The majority of it is probably the subject choices.

I got 4 A*, 5 A, and 2B'S and took maths, physics, eng lang and history whereas someone i know got mostly b's and c's, took easier subject (won't specify in case of offence =P) and will probably get better grades than me.

Thats just a hunch
    I'd agree with that - I also did History and Maths at A Level, and am finding them both pretty difficult - it does come down to the subject choices, and now, even though both of those exams are only a few days away, I really don't feel like revising... Complacency, perhaps? Bring on the E grades...

ReputationRep:
    I think in general the people that happens to are the cocky ones, because at GCSE you can do next to no work and still come out with good grades, but AS/A2 you do have to put some in, so if you go in with the same attitude it's likely your grades will slip big time. AS grades tend to be lower than A2 though remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucho22)
    GCSE is such an easy test that the people capable of getting straight A's at A-level felt little to no motivation to study for GCSE. For me GCSE was a tedious hurdle and instead of getting my predicted 8 A*s I only got 3. GCSE is a memory exercise for the most part - not an intellectual challenge..
    I completely agree with that - there's no rigour involved at all and this unfortunately catches out a lot of people who do well at GCSE , especially with Maths I find.To be fair , it did take a bit of adjusting for me which is borne out by the fact I struggled with the first Physics unit for a while especially.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.