Ashuuki
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I really want to do a games art degree. (Its like game design but less coding and more making assets, environments etc)

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? I’m predicted A* A* A. So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:

Edit three months later : okay so my current #1 choice is Falmouth, but any other suggestions (or maybe even people who have reasons against going to Falmouth) are still very much appreciated !
Last edited by Ashuuki; 7 hours ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've moved your thread to the Computer Science forum, as there are no dedicated forums for your particular course.
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there Ashuuki,

Have you checked out our Game Arts course at Plymouth College of Art?

The course here at PCA focuses on game design, concept art, prototypes, etc. in both 2D and 3D, digitally and by hand. Students on the course are taught software and programs such as 3dsMax, Substance Painter, Unreal Engine 4, Construct 2, Adobe Photoshop and ZBrush and have access to software and programs such as Maya, Blender, Substance Designer, Unity and the rest of the Adobe programs.

If you'd like to know more about our Game Arts course at Plymouth College of Art, you can visit our website or would like more information you can email [email protected] or [email protected]. If you would like to speak to a current student on the course, then let me know and I can put you in touch. Alternatively, feel free to ask any questions you may have in the thread below.

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ashuuki)
I really want to do a games art degree. (Its like game design but less coding and more making assets, environments etc)

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:

Hi Ashuuki

I'm so sorry we've only just spotted this one. We do Games Art at Staffs (More info: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/games-art-ba). We also do lots of other games degrees, such as design and programming, and we also do Concept Art for Games and Film too.

That said; we probably offer more games courses than anyone else at Staffs so we have a pretty good reputation within the industry. Did you have any specific questions? If so, I can put you in touch with our Course Leader - or alternatively we have a few open days coming up so it might be worth you popping along to one and seeing our facilities for yourself - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/visit/under...stoke-on-trent

Thanks

Amy
Lwajura
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hull, Bradford or Keele
Lwajura
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi Ashuuki

I'm so sorry we've only just spotted this one. We do Games Art at Staffs (More info: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/games-art-ba). We also do lots of other games degrees, such as design and programming, and we also do Concept Art for Games and Film too.

That said; we probably offer more games courses than anyone else at Staffs so we have a pretty good reputation within the industry. Did you have any specific questions? If so, I can put you in touch with our Course Leader - or alternatively we have a few open days coming up so it might be worth you popping along to one and seeing our facilities for yourself - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/visit/under...stoke-on-trent

Thanks

Amy
can you say hello to my cousin Joseph Woodington
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Check Nottingham Trent
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Which Unis are good for this and which course is considered the best? So far I'm considering UCA Farnham, De Monfort or Hertfordshire so would like opinions on Game Art at those unis or even completely different unis that may be better. Thanks (:
Hey Ashuuki

Sorry for the late reply! Are you still debating which Uni to study at?

I am a current student at Hertfordshire - here's a little info about our BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design course:

Our course is accredited by ScreenSkills, meaning that your studies will be relevant to the requirements of the Game Art/Design industry. As well as being rated TEF Gold (showing that the University consistently offers outstanding teaching and learning), we are rated as the best UK school for Game Design and the 8th best in the world by The Rookies. The course offers a mixture of animation/design theory as well as a large amount of creative design work. You will have several opportunities to work on your own projects, as well as the chance to undertake a placement or year abroad.

Living and study at the University of Hertfordshire has been a great experience. I have found it both rewarding and enjoyable. The campuses feature plenty of modern facilities and green spaces. There are a vast range of societies and sports teams. You can also use the University's great sports facilities for your own enjoyment - students are able to use the on-campus swimming pool, gym, courts, pitches and even rock climbing wall! There are also plenty of social activities. Our on-campus club, The Forum hosts regular events. There are also a range of events and live sports on offer in our pub, the Elehouse.

You can view some our previous students work here and here.

Let me know if you have any questions about the University of Hertfordshire
Ashuuki
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 hours ago
(Original post by ProbablyPallas)
Check Nottingham Trent
I have, not a fan. Seems to spend pretty much the entire first year on conceptual art, which seems like a waste
Ashuuki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Herts UG Student Rep)
Hey Ashuuki

Sorry for the late reply! Are you still debating which Uni to study at?

I am a current student at Hertfordshire - here's a little info about our BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design course:

Our course is accredited by ScreenSkills, meaning that your studies will be relevant to the requirements of the Game Art/Design industry. As well as being rated TEF Gold (showing that the University consistently offers outstanding teaching and learning), we are rated as the best UK school for Game Design and the 8th best in the world by The Rookies. The course offers a mixture of animation/design theory as well as a large amount of creative design work. You will have several opportunities to work on your own projects, as well as the chance to undertake a placement or year abroad.

Living and study at the University of Hertfordshire has been a great experience. I have found it both rewarding and enjoyable. The campuses feature plenty of modern facilities and green spaces. There are a vast range of societies and sports teams. You can also use the University's great sports facilities for your own enjoyment - students are able to use the on-campus swimming pool, gym, courts, pitches and even rock climbing wall! There are also plenty of social activities. Our on-campus club, The Forum hosts regular events. There are also a range of events and live sports on offer in our pub, the Elehouse.

You can view some our previous students work here and here.

Let me know if you have any questions about the University of Hertfordshire
Hi there ! I am still looking, yes. I have done quite a bit of research into Hertfordshire but unfortunately the course seems too broad ie not focused in on just the art, and there's also scripting involved which I'm not looking for. Glad you're having a good time, though (:
Ashuuki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lwajura)
Hull, Bradford or Keele
Couldn't seem to find a games art course at Keele, and the Bradford course was just too animation focused for me. Will have a look at Hull now, thanks for the suggestions (:
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
Hi there ! I am still looking, yes. I have done quite a bit of research into Hertfordshire but unfortunately the course seems too broad ie not focused in on just the art, and there's also scripting involved which I'm not looking for. Glad you're having a good time, though (:
No worries! Best of luck with the course/uni search, I hope you manage to find the best University for you!
lia_r18
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
Have you had a look at Falmouth?
Ashuuki
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 hours ago
(Original post by lia_r18)
Have you had a look at Falmouth?
Absolutely !! Falmouth is currently my number one choice ! Do you go there?
lia_r18
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 minutes ago
Absolutely !! Falmouth is currently my number one choice ! Do you go there?
no - I was looking at doing their creative robotics course and it looked really good but it was too far from my house 😔.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.9%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.26%
Not great so far... (217)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.21%

Watched Threads