almondtitan3152
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Having a company that helps students with what uni degrees they can go into

So they would send their GCSE grades with their a level/btec along side what they want to do 1st choice 2nd and third choice- their location preferences and more

Then we would do research for them to identify universities that suit them and the ones they can actually join and give them alternative options on some apprenticeships or give them advice on perhaps retaking

Of course students would do their own research however at some stage they may want extra reassurance especially as ucas usually happens during mocks or just right before and predicted grades are a barrier to entry into some courses- this could be useful for gcse students especially- what cost would be suitable for good profit and good cost... around £5-7
Last edited by almondtitan3152; 1 year ago
JakeTSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s a good idea but I don’t think you could charge much considering people would mainly use it out of convenience because everything you offer they can do themselves with no skills required. Once it’s up and running it could be good, you could get deals with colleges and universities where they can use your site/app as an advertising medium
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
I was thinking along the lines of perhaps £9.99 per person?

How much would you pay?

Considering mocks occur during this time and predicted grades sometimes determine whether you’ll get an offer or not so this saves precious time and also gives you a second brain on someone’s specific situation?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by almondtitan3152)
Having a company that helps students with what uni degrees they can go into

So they would send their GCSE grades with their a level/btec along side what they want to do 1st choice 2nd and third choice- their location preferences and more

Then we would do research for them to identify universities that suit them and the ones they can actually join and give them alternative options on some apprenticeships or give them advice on perhaps retaking

Of course students would do their own research however at some stage they may want extra reassurance especially as ucas usually happens during mocks or just right before - this could be useful for gcse students especially- what cost would be suitable for good profit and good cost... £10-20?
Students have managed to do this for themselves, for free, for years. Your company could offer no indemnity about giving better advice, more reliable advice or more accurate advice than the individual can look up for themselves. Free facilities like TSR can offer reassurance etc. So what value is the company adding for £9.99?

For that sum of money, given overheads and staff costs etc, you could probably only take about 5 minutes per individual and you'd have to maintain a comprehensive database of every single university, course, option, grade requirement average stats........you'd simply be replicating all the free assets out there.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally wouldn't use it. I did this research myself for free probably faster than waiting for some person in an office to do it for me.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doesn't TSR basically do this for free?
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I ain’t paying £9.99 for something that I can easily do myself for free.
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
It’s not about so called “better” advice as everything is available online- however my idea would allow individualised contextual advice on what options available and reassurances student they Have checked EVERY option

In that stressful situation during ucas, mocks predicted grades - spending 5-10 quid wouldn’t Be such a bad shout?
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
To an extent yes- however sometimes students may not be able to find their answers so they must wait plus it may put them off as some advice on TSR really isn’t true sometimes- I would give them advice doing my research for them taking into account their grade- so yes it can be free but takes much longer and more generalised rather then being tailored to the individual
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Doesn't TSR basically do this for free?
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
Fair enough- each to their own- however in stressful situations students may just find it tad more useful- not ALL students want this- however some students who are struggling on what course they want do ... i can give them advice - link them videos on YouTube they should watch ...
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Students have managed to do this for themselves, for free, for years. Your company could offer no indemnity about giving better advice, more reliable advice or more accurate advice than the individual can look up for themselves. Free facilities like TSR can offer reassurance etc. So what value is the company adding for £9.99?

For that sum of money, given overheads and staff costs etc, you could probably only take about 5 minutes per individual and you'd have to maintain a comprehensive database of every single university, course, option, grade requirement average stats........you'd simply be replicating all the free assets out there.
(Original post by RichPiana)
I ain’t paying £9.99 for something that I can easily do myself for free.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fair enough- each to their own- however in stressful situations students may just find it tad more useful- not ALL students want this- however some students who are struggling on what course they want do ... i can give them advice - link them videos on YouTube they should watch ...
The ones who are struggling are still likely to be in sixth form or college, so they can simply go to their tutor and get face-to-face professional support for free.
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
Completely agree- however my tutor for instance was was very busy she only had like 2mins to offer some advice until she had to go and teach a class- id find myself waiting atleast 2 days before any advice- plus having advice from 2 people is better then 1 - however regardless of this- some students may not be comfortable talking about their struggles of finding the right course as some students have an expectation to go a specific course ...
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You want people to pay 10 quid to be given youtube links and other similar things they can find themselves for free or using help from trained people near them for free? I'm sorry but this isn't a good business idea. You want people to pay for something everybody already does themselves for free, not great.
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's probably a better idea to pitch it at the parents somehow.

Edit: It sounds a bit like one of those jobs that could go on sites like Fiver (maybe Gumtree). It's a decent niche IMO.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 1 year ago
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
Again the price isnt £9.99- it might Be 5- I don’t know the correct price- again I understand this Can be done for free - however it’s about TIME and connivence- time is very precious during ucas, mocks, and just in general year 12 stresses- I think students would be willing to pay around a fiver - you could see this with Uber- people can go from A to B for free with oysters (people under 18) on buses (atleast in London)yet some people still choose to go with Uber - yes it may get them their faster but it still does the same job and costs money- my service would provide an extra opinion on ones individual grades and give them contextual advice and it will reassure them- this can be effective and helpful especially with the rise of mental health and students feeling “alone”
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You want people to pay 10 quid to be given youtube links and other similar things they can find themselves for free or using help from trained people near them for free? I'm sorry but this isn't a good business idea. You want people to pay for something everybody already does themselves for free, not great.
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
Perhaps so? But I believe students are the deciders whether they need help- and we all know parents have been known for forcing upon a specific subject or job like “be a doctor” so perhaps going directly to consumer by advertising and word of mouth may Be a better shout?
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
It's probably a better idea to pitch it at the parents somehow. I don't know how.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think a better idea would be a pre ucas application service, the company would keep the persons identity anonymous from the university but issue a range of information about them (very helpful given the lack of AS results, plugging an information gap), the university would then give feedback on the application which the company could feed back to students. The only thing is incentivising unis to sign up.
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
This would require unis to do some emailing which I doubt they’ll be willing to do and regardless they still fill up their spaces and get 9250 for it

(Original post by 3121)
I think a better idea would be a pre ucas application service, the company would keep the persons identity anonymous from the university but issue a range of information about them (very helpful given the lack of AS results, plugging an information gap), the university would then give feedback on the application which the company could feed back to students. The only thing is incentivising unis to sign up.
Danelius
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Scratch the idea. Focus on something more worthwhile.
Danelius
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All you'd need is a mobile app. You'd need to create a database for every university in the UK and their courses. Check the requirements for each one.

You could set the parameters based on your preferences.

I'd assume something similar is already out there.

You could include information based on your interests, distance from post code, date established, number of students, tuition fee etc.

You'd want the app be the No. 1 go to place for students. You could work with local businesses to offer promotional, loyalty and discount schemes.

Searches could be fined tuned as well based on distance of campus to nearest gym, pub etc.

Information is power. Turn power into a multi millionaire company.
Last edited by Danelius; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed