Turn on thread page Beta

Waxing at home: hot or cold wax? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, well I finally plucked up the courage to epilate the lower half of my legs...went okay
    Tried to epilate my thighs today but the epilating was taking way too long as it's quite a large area, so I've decided to wax the top half of my legs.

What home waxing kit should I buy? Veet are not brilliant...wax get's stuck to my leg and hardly removes anything...

So what else is there out there? How about hot wax? Experiences?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Neither. I would not recommend waxing at home. Epilating, shaving or hair removal creams are fine for home use, but I'd recommend saving threading or waxing for a trip to a salon (it's not as expensive as you might think, particularly if the salon offers student discount).

ReputationRep:
    Hot wax...the cold stuff brings my skin out in a rash, and it is not attractive. But I'd recommend Veet wax over that...****ty lilac stuff....it's essentially just candle wax you heat up, and they don't give you strips to remove it with! Badddd.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend going to get it done, its not as messy, and not that expensive either.

OP, save your pennies and go to a professional salon. Where I go, it only costs £15 to wax the Thighs - full leg (both legs is £20)

I wouldn't dare waste my money to wax myself or buy the shop products. Too much effort and hassle.

Good Luck on your decision

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I did have a salon wax last year and it was great
    Great finish!
    Maybe I should get it done by someone who knows what they're doing!!

ReputationRep:
    I use the Body Shop wax, wax strips and spatula. The wax strips are reusable and the wax just needs to be heated up. Use it warm not hot

I would not recommend you waxing yourself if you havent been waxed before

ReputationRep:
    I tried to wax my legs the other day at home using a veet wax and it hurt a lot :/ i only did a patch of it and then couldnt do anymore! now days later theres a massive rash there!
    do you think its likely that if i goto the salon my skin will react in the same way, or it will be better as they know what they are doing and...i didnt lol? i'd really like to go for it but im scared lol.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    when i wax at home i use hot wax.cold wax does nothing. if you know how to, waxing at home is easy and not as messy as everyone makes it out to. bikini area is different but legs etc aren't a problem. i epilate most of the time now and haven't found that thighs take that long...anyways hot wax.

ReputationRep:
    I scalded myself with hot wax, so couldn't show off my smooth legs. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much the mess, La Trampa - more that you might not get all the hairs, it might hurt more because of NOT being a pro, the fabric strips they use in salons hurt less than the paper ones you get in kits, you could have a situation like Joanna May where you end up scalding your legs with hot wax...the list is endless. I just would not recommend waxing at home.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.