Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep Anon or Delete.

My father has to be the most arrogant person in the world. He always has to justify himself by reciting his past accomplishments even if they are irrelevant to what we are talking about and it always ends up with us arguing. Despite this he is far from sociable and not a very good communicator and fumbles on the phone all the time, so whenever I try to do him a favour or advise him on anything he gets very defensive. He is also constantly paranoid and believes that certain planes that fly over our house are "spy planes" or "drones".. right!?! And I believe he has some kind of drinking problem as he drinks about a third of a bottle of scotch every night, and again gets quite defensive when I ask him about it. it goes hand in hand with the paranoia I assume. His GP is very weak as my father seems to pressure him to do what he says or agree with him because he had studied medicine when he was a student and seems to think he knows better all the time.

On the other hand when I leave home for a while and come back from uni he seems normal and really nice.

Is there anything I can do to help him? or should I just put up with him.

ReputationRep:
    have u tried talkin to him about his drinking and explaining how it affects you?

ReputationRep:
    Aw that sucks I'm sorry.. I guess we all just need to learn to accept/tolerate family members because we really dont have much choice.. And we have to learn to make the best out of what we have.. I guess you should talk to your father.. Perhaps try to be less pushy/judgemental (at least don't show it).. If you make him feel that you're judging him he's not going to want to talk to you and he won't accept your criticism because it won't seem genuine enough.. Plus it must suck for him feeling that you think you're above him and that you look down on him when he's supposed to be your father and someone you look up to.. Some people will also do the opposite of what you tell them out of stubborness/arrogance.. So I suppose the best thing to do is just stop telling him what to do for a while.. And then try speaking to him later and letting him know how you feel.. Make it more like a heart-to-heart conversation so that he accepts it and so that he is more willing to change.. Good luck with it all! Also, remember that most people will have some kind of problem at home so you're probably not alone in this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.