Turn on thread page Beta

Roundabout hiccups watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

Lets say im travelling northbound, approaching the roundabout.

Now lets say i use the right lane and i wish to take the 2nd exit (go straight) and i get of the roundabout and onto 2nd lane of my exit intended...

Is this allowed?

I assume it is...unless a sign tells you otherwise...

I had some tit going northbound in the image, and he wanted to take the 3rd exit but was in the left lane, so on the left of me, luckily i dont use a roundabout while im next to someone, so he obviously cut me up and went across me..

When exiting the roundabout i have had some people flashing me now and then, or horning, i do do all the correct singals etc

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    GO back to fitness if you have no input here :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's fine I believe.

No problem there.

Edit: But as you say you have the risk of somebody in your outer lane either confused or wrong etc. Less risky if you're in the left lane.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is allowed, as long as you signal you are going off there is nothing wrong with it at all, don't particularly like doing it myself as i see people using the roundabout wrong all the time and don't want to get hit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what you did was perfectly acceptable unless there was a "right turn only" sign or marking on the lane.

The guy in the left lane was in the wrong lane to be turning right regardless.

From the highway code:

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

-signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    -keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    -signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

And, unless there were marking against it. You were correct because,

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

-select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
    -you should not normally need to signal on approach
    -stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    -signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

:gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    The other guy should have been in the right lane if he was going to take the 3rd exit, but since it's his fault and not yours, you're in the right for letting him take over rather than cutting him up

ReputationRep:
    You have to be aware of what's around you. Approaching in the right hand lane and taking the second exit is fine. If a car is in the lane next to you, then exit in the right lane and it's fine. But be aware, if he decides to go around, you have to judge it and adjust, perhaps going around the entire roundabout. If he hits you, it's his fault anyway.

Like, if you approach in the right lane, and their's a car in the left lane, you both set off, and the car goes left and you are then alone, there's nothing stopping you from exiting in the left lane, even though you approached in the right. It's all about judgement and being aware of your surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    I find that picture very confusing because my mind keeps telling me you're not only driving on the wrong side of the road, but also going in the wrong way

...never driven a car in England :p:

(Original post by AMG)
    When exiting the roundabout i have had some people flashing me now and then, or horning, i do do all the correct singals etc
    You sure you're not turning the indicator on too early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    I find that picture very confusing because my mind keeps telling me you're not only driving on the wrong side of the road, but also going in the wrong way

...never driven a car in England :p:

You sure you're not turning the indicator on too early?
    indicators are fine, think its just people annoyed i go that way

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think BMW's have indicators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Too true.

Perfectly OK to do, as long as you respect the fact that both approach lanes require their own unique line round the roundabout. I'll demonstrate with a picture in a sec.

ReputationRep:

Both yellow paths are fine. The red dotted line shows the 'straight-line' path, which is dangerous because it cuts into the path on the right.

In both cases, signal as you pass the preceding exit.

If there is only one lane at the exit of the roundabout, this is less clear-cut.

Anyone know the Hogarth Roundabout on the A4 near Chiswick/Kew?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it's fine. Unless the road ahead is NOT a dual carriageway (then things could get a bit messy!).

ReputationRep:
    *bump* I spent ages on that diagram!

ReputationRep:
    awwwwwwwww im sowwy hehe

Yeah its usually like that but the roundabout is usually bigger so the traffic in the left lane wishing to go straight goes wider around !

ReputationRep:
    Even if the exit road isn't a dual carriageway, it often begins with two lanes and merges in to one, which is easy enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddball)
    As others have said, it's fine. Unless the road ahead is NOT a dual carriageway (then things could get a bit messy!).
    Bit of an grey area ask , police for this?

ReputationRep:
    Erm why not just keep in the left hand lane when going straight on?

Problem solved.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 13, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.