Student Loan Does't Even Cover Accommodation

Watch
retsymuw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My situation isn't exactly the norm. I still live with my parents but they are not supporting me financially for uni.

Student loan that I have obviously takes into account my parents income but it's not even enough to cover my accommodation.

Has anyone been in my situation before and if so, what did you do? Don't have family that can help and not scholarships.
henleykt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically you have to pay for it yourself so savings or a part time job. It’s a pretty common situation. If they ain’t gonna help you out. Work out how you yourself are gonna pay it and if you can’t then save for a year and then go. Loads of people manage
Last edited by henleykt; 1 year ago
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Id advise speaking to your university financial advisor. They can tell you about any bursaries you may be able to apply for and there's always the hardship fund too if you can provide bank statements. Unfortunately you might have to get a part time job too.
retsymuw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by henleykt)
Basically you have to pay for it yourself so savings or a part time job. It’s a pretty common situation. If they ain’t gonna help you out. Work out how you yourself are gonna pay it and if you can’t then save for a year and then go. Loads of people manage
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Id advise speaking to your university financial advisor. They can tell you about any bursaries you may be able to apply for and there's always the hardship fund too if you can provide bank statements. Unfortunately you might have to get a part time job too.
I have no issue at all getting a part time job. Just concerned I won't land one early on.

I'll check out this hardship fund and will speak to an advisor when I start.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by retsymuw)
I have no issue at all getting a part time job. Just concerned I won't land one early on.

I'll check out this hardship fund and will speak to an advisor when I start.
It might be worth talking to an advisor before you start, just so you don't end up in a sticky situation straight away. Most will do appointments over the phone, just that way if there is anything you need to apply for, you can get that all done and dusted. The first few weeks might be quite overwhelming so it's probably best to try minimise your stress as much as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads