beccagood95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently finishing off my MSc in Child Development with a BSc, I'm hoping to research identity in Biracial teenagers (most likely White and Black Caribbean) for a PhD. I'm in no rush to get it started as I'm aware I'll probably need a bit more research experience but I would like to at least start getting into contact with universities that might be interested in helping me with this study. I'm really struggling to find anywhere that lists this topic as one of their interests, especially with a psychology background. However, I'm not surprised as this is an under-researched area.

For my undergraduate dissertation, I did look into experiences of mixed race adults, however, it wasn't the best university and the city wasn't particularly diverse so it became really hard to get participants. I don't think I would want to do it there again.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a university that might have staff that will be receptive to this?
beccagood95
Rep:
?
Getting paid for it- depends on the funding I receive. Maybe not but that is something I will deal with. Like I said, I'm not in a rush to get it started.

After the PhD I would hopefully be able to do more social psychology research. Formation of identity is an important part of developmental and social psychology. The study I have in mind would be more of an exploration to create further research questions, I have a LOT of ideas for research within this specific area and as a biracial person myself I am very aware of its importance and relevance. However, I have experience with other areas of Developmental and Social Psychology research so I'm not too worried about that.

Tenureship isn't something I'm too concerned about at this point lol.

(Original post by ltsmith)
will you get paid for this type of research?

what would you do after your phd?

are there even tenureship positions available for that kind of research?
beccagood95
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice, I'm very appreciative of it but that's not the question I was asking. I've thought long and hard about this for the years I've been at Uni and asked the advice of friends that currently undertaking PhDs in Psychology.

If you know of universities that are interested in this area, please let me know.
(Original post by ltsmith)
well most people do a PhD with a tenureship in mind. you should think about it.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by beccagood95)
What are you searching on - could it be too specific? You just need a Supervisor who is interested in Identity and who is part of a Psychology department. There must be a number of them.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
What are you searching on - could it be too specific? You just need a Supervisor who is interested in Identity and who is part of a Psychology department. There must be a number of them.
This.

beccagood95 You don't have to find a supervisor with your specific interest to the letter (especially as you say it's an under-researched area), but one with an interest that's a good supportive fit for your project.

A quick initial Google search of 'university psychology identity' came up with research centres/groups at Southampton and DeMontfort in Leicester - the latter specifically mentions minority groups as a focus. I'm sure you could find many more if you delved in a bit deeper too.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (812)
42.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads