Students who recieved all/mostly 9's/8's/7's

Watch this thread
username4690370
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How much revision did you do?
When did you start?
How do you revise effectively for maths and get at least a 7?
How did you revise effectively for Science to get at least a 7?

Thanks
esha.i
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
i started in September of y11 i just taught myself the science spec using the cgp revision guides...finished in about january time and it was the best decision ever as it gave me the chance to revise other subjects etc - i only did this because i didn’t have a good science teacher and so took fate into my own hands kinda thing lol
username4690370
Rep:
Wow-well done-same-My science teacher is really bad too.
(Original post by esha.i)
i started in September of y11 i just taught myself the science spec using the cgp revision guides...finished in about january time and it was the best decision ever as it gave me the chance to revise other subjects etc - i only did this because i didn’t have a good science teacher and so took fate into my own hands kinda thing lol
username4690370
Rep:
What grade did you achieve if you don't mind me asking?esha.i
Jamiiii
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Started proper revision in January and basically made revision cards from Freesciencelessons and using the CGP guides for science. Then tested myself everyday on the revision cards. Got 9s in Chemistry, Biology and Physics. During the lead up to the exams I made mindmaps with markers on all the topics from memory with little help from the revision guides. Didn’t do as well in my other GCSEs, just went over vectors and circle theorems a week before with Maths and came out with a 7. I did the same revision card technique with Geography and Computer Science and came out with a 9 and 8 respectively, same with media studies (A). English didn’t work out for me so!
Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Haven’t got my results yet but I did very minimal amounts. Unless I get a 6 in English language I will have 7’s and above in everything for sure.

I did a day of geography revision (10 hours) on case studies over Easter. Spent 50 hours on history in half term. Spent a couple of 7-8 hour days on English literature over Easter/weekend before.
I made sure to revise for exams on the weekends before and nights before.

All in all I probably 120 hours of revision for GCSE’s and 80% of that was half term, weekends or days before exams. I didn’t do any revision until late Easter. However, I could have got straight 8’s and 9’s guaranteed if I actually put a lot of work in, even if I worked over the entirety of Easter.
But I’m still aiming for 8 or 9 grade 8’s and 9’s optimistically, pessimistically I could get 6 8’s and 9’s, 4 7’s and 1 Grade 6.

You don’t need to revise hard all night months before exams at all. All you need to do for top grades is to focus in lessons and have good teachers. It would be even more effective if at night you recalled what you learnt during the day.
If you don’t have good teachers then you will have to work harder. I had to put a lot of work in for history and English since my teachers have never been very good; and I’ve managed to massively boost my grades in those subjects.
Last edited by Maximus 190; 3 years ago
username4690370
Rep:
Ok thanks
(Original post by Jamiiii)
Started proper revision in January and basically made revision cards from Freesciencelessons and using the CGP guides for science. Then tested myself everyday on the revision cards. Got 9s in Chemistry, Biology and Physics. During the lead up to the exams I made mindmaps with markers on all the topics from memory with little help from the revision guides. Didn’t do as well in my other GCSEs, just went over vectors and circle theorems a week before with Maths and came out with a 7. I did the same revision card technique with Geography and Computer Science and came out with a 9 and 8 respectively, same with media studies (A). English didn’t work out for me so!
username4690370
Rep:
WOW- a whole day on Geography
(Original post by Maximus 190)
Haven’t got my results yet but I did very minimal amounts. Unless I get a 6 in English language I will have 7’s and above in everything for sure.

I did a day of geography revision (10 hours) on case studies over Easter. Spent 50 hours on history in half term. Spent a couple of 7-8 hour days on English literature over Easter/weekend before.
I made sure to revise for exams on the weekends before and nights before.

All in all I probably 120 hours of revision for GCSE’s and 80% of that was half term, weekends or days before exams. I didn’t do any revision until late Easter. However, I could have got straight 8’s and 9’s guaranteed if I actually put a lot of work in, even if I worked over the entirety of Easter.
But I’m still aiming for 8 or 9 grade 8’s and 9’s optimistically, pessimistically I could get 6 8’s and 9’s, 4 7’s and 1 Grade 6.

You don’t need to revise hard all night months before exams at all. All you need to do for top grades is to focus in lessons and have good teachers. It would be even more effective if at night you recalled what you learnt during the day.
If you don’t have good teachers then you will have to work harder. I had to put a lot of work in for history and English since my teachers have never been very good; and I’ve managed to massively boost my grades in those subjects.
MinatoNamikaze
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I got all 9s and one 8

-----hmm...enough I guess?

When did you start?
----literally started one week b4 and revised only in the exam period. But....I revised effectively and did loads of timed question papers. I had my mom help me out in marking my answers harshly.

---I got an 8 in maths unlike my other subjects. I did a lot of question papers from a book( that i dont remember the name of, but it only had question papers mocks) but I did them timed. While doing normal revision I just hide answers of worked examples and try them then I choose the hardest looking questions from each exercise in the workbook and do them(this is when I have enough time to do lots of questions)

--the same way as I explained for maths
Last edited by MinatoNamikaze; 3 years ago
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Did you use the black and purple ones, or the thin coloured ones?
MehranS
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Me too lmao! ( I'm aiming for all 9s)
(Original post by MinatoNamikaze)
I got all 9s and one 8

-----hmm...enough I guess?

When did you start?
----literally started one week b4 and revised only in the exam period. But....I revised effectively and did loads of timed question papers. I had my mom help me out in marking my answers harshly.

---I got an 8 in maths unlike my other subjects. I did a lot of question papers from a book( that i dont remember the name of, but it only had question papers mocks) but I did them timed. While doing normal revision I just hide answers of worked examples and try them then I choose the hardest looking questions from each exercise in the workbook and do them(this is when I have enough time to do lots of questions)

--the same way as I explained for maths
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't really know when I 'started' revising. Really you should try to avoid forgetting old topics, that way the Easter holidays and study leave aren't cramming-fests.

Maths I did past papers once I was confident with the topics in the textbook. Same for the sciences.
esha.i
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Did you use the black and purple ones, or the thin coloured ones?
hi i did combined science so i just had one revision guide for that (essentially all the sciences in one big book lol) but if u do triple id probs get the purple ones i guess
esha.i
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ivanita-Ariana)
What grade did you achieve if you don't mind me asking?esha.i
hi i did combined science and so i came out with a 77
GetGradenines
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ivanita-Ariana)
When did you start?

Thanks
i started in april for my paper 1 sciences and maths, i never did any revision before that. From april, i missed school ( i was "sick") and watch free science lessons and did questions on a website called physics and maths tutor, it has questions for every topic, easy to hard, all from exam pro.For paper 2 i did revision the day before, i don't suggest you do this, but i did, the exams went great, i did get lucky and got tested on stuff i knew, even though i covered most of the spec. So, start studying from the start of the year, by that i mean, watch freesciencelessons and maths genie before you learn it in school, so when you are in school you are just going over what you learnt.

For maths, i used maths genie, watched all of his videos, even though i forgot stuff in paper 2 and 3, make sure you practice as much as you can. And, when you practice a topic, don't do all the questions you have in one go, spread them out, over a few weeks at least, so you can remember it better.
I have just finished my GCSEs, i could have got all 9s, really i could have, but i couldn't be bothered, i am looking at a grades 8 in maths and sciences
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, I got the purple ones but I regret it because the thinner ones are much more condensed and easy to understand, for basic knowledge
hi i did combined science so i just had one revision guide for that (essentially all the sciences in one big book lol) but if u do triple id probs get the purple ones i guess
Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Shaun Donnelly is the best for late science revision. Super concise, I made flash cards from his videos the night before and learnt the entire syllabus for the next day, although I was familiar with nearly all of it.
esha.i
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Yeah, I got the purple ones but I regret it because the thinner ones are much more condensed and easy to understand, for basic knowledge
ah right, idk anything about the triple revision guides and what’s better etc, but hey at least you’ve found what works best for u now
PureMadness
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I did my GCSE's in 2017 when the 9-1 specification was first introduced so we only had 9-1 grades for Maths, English lang and lit but I got A's and A*'s in everything so my advice might be helpful to you.

I would say I started properly revising after my mocks so around February and I did 2 hours a day except for the nights before exams where I would spend maybe 3 hours in the evening.

For Maths, I used mathsgenie.co.uk and watched their videos if I didn't understand something and did all of their question packs. I did the specimen papers that the exam board released, marked it and identified my problem areas and went over them again. I think I tried to find hard papers that people online had made and tried them as well.

For Science, I did all the past papers and my teacher gave me exampro packs which are booklets of questions that the teachers compiled from loads of past questions for each topic. The rest of my revision for science was watching videos from a youtube channel called freesciencelessons and making notes of key points during his videos. I also test my memory by covering parts of a page in the science textbook and doing this until I could recall all of the information.

Hope that helps
jamesdtgoddard
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The best way to get a good grade in maths is to do as many of the available past papers and practise papers as possible. In science, you really need to first learn the content and then, like maths, try as many papers as possible. I found the best way to learn the science content was to work through the specifications for each, finding the relevant topics in the CGP textbooks and on freesciencelessons.co.uk on youtube. If you effectively use the specifications (found on your exam board's website) then you will know that you have not missed anything out. Revising like this got me eight grade 9s and a grade 8.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads