Turn on thread page Beta

Anon because people i know use this!

How do you know when a relationship is moving too fast? I think me and my bf rushed things, and now i feel like i know him better sexually than to do as a friend. Its odd because i feel like i dont know him well enough to be having a serious relationship, but on the other hand, we've been together for a year so i know him really well. And ive known him for 3 years before that, its just that we never really spent time alone together.

Ive gotta do something about it, because it kinda freaks me out now that ive realised this. So should we try and start over, and get to know each other as friends again (i.e. leave the relationship for now)? Or just try and balance it out by spending more time doing stuff together? And is it stupid to be concerned about this?

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to discuss it with your boyfriend, a year with someone is long enough to know them well, and as you say you knew him 3 years before that as a friend. Feeling comfortable with someone is key to a relationship. I understand that you don't feel like you know him but try talking to him about it, spend time with him, do things that interest you together or try something new together. It's important to know him, but remember you never know someone inside out after such a short period of time. In retrospect a year isn't THAT long... do you want to know all about him? Have no mystery? Learning about each other is often what makes a relationship fun. I know that you've done sexual things and this makes you worried that you know him in a sexual capacity but not in others, have you tried going out, doing something, talking to each other? I'm sure he'll understand! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe take some time out to actually go places with eachother, one on one? Try to go on a little day trip together somewhere nice once a month, instead of meeting up a load of friends or doing sexual stuff. Try to start treating him as part friend, part bf... if that makes sense! Talk to him about doing more friend-type things together if you can

Yeah, i thought it would make sense to just spend time together (:
    Any ideas of things we could do..? I know it sounds stupid, but i think im just scared of being alone with him and realising that we dont have anything to talk about, or it just being awkward. Because like, compared to my other guy friends, im really shy around him and i go all quiet - and i can just sense a lot of awkward silences :|

ReputationRep:
    One year did you say?

ReputationRep:
    go to the cinema, bowling, go on a picnic, a walk, visit the pub, lots of things to do.

ReputationRep:
    oooh, you're moving too fast...and I don't think it's right...I'm not giving you my love tonight....

Sorry. I couldn't not.

But yeah, just balance it out by doing less sex stuff, and more friends stuff, but don't leave out the sex stuff 'cause then you'll alienate the romantic element innit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.