The Student Room Group

BTEC H&S Care Unit 12: Supporting Individuals with Additional Needs Work Explained

Before doing this essay make sure you chose two case studies that you want to do given by your teachers (one child and one adult) read both of them carefully.

PASS

A.P1 Explain diagnostic procedures to determine additional needs for one child and one adult with different additional needs

Use this book to help you answer this question or this if you don't have the book and use a specific diagnostic procedure for each case study to determine thier additional needs.
Clue: Page 6 to 10 and probably the rest of Learning Aim A (Page 6 to 29)

B.P2 Explain how disability can be viewed as a social construct

Define social construct then talk about society's and people's attitudes towards disability in general, you can also be specific to societies attutiseds towards certain disabilities (optional: you can apply the laws into it i.e. Equality Act 2010)

B.P3 Describe how health or social care workers can help one child and one adult with different additional needs overcome challenges to daily living

Do one paragraph for adult and one paragraph for child. Then discuss what health care professionals each of the case studies may need to help overcome daily challenges. i.e. a paralysed child from the neck down may need a residential nurse to help with personal care or a social worker may provide a one floor house for a wheelchair adult.
Clue: Page 40 to 42 has a list of health care professionals that you can use. Page 42 to 48 have list of ways you can support people with addtional needs that you can use for your case study

C.P4 Explain the benefits of adaptations and support provided to one child and one adult with different additional needs

Talk about the benefits of making adaptation and providing support for one child and one adult in your case study i.e. the benefit of a one floor flat for an adult wheelchair user is that the can move around more and not struggle in going up the stairs.

C.P5 Explain the impact of statutory provision on the support provided for one child and one adult with different additional needs

Read page 48 to 51 to give you an idea. Then explain how these statutory provisions can affect the support provided for the two case studies that you've chosen. For example the Care Act 2014 impacts adult additional needs as it enables individuals requiring additional care to ask a friend, a family member or someone else of their choice to provide that care, rather than someone provided by the local authority

MERIT

A.M1 Assess the requirements of one child and one adult with different additional needs

Talk about what your two individuals are struggle with in the case study and how this can be overcome. For example
difficulty in completing everyday activities, in education/employment, in their social life and their access to services. Then, some examples of how to overcome these difficulties include professional help or different adaptions/equipment, you can use sources from the NHS or charities that support people with those needs

B.M2 Assess the impact of challenges to daily living that may be experienced by one child and one adult with different additional needs, and how effectively these challenges are overcome

In each case study discuss the challenges to daily living i.e. a child wheelchair unable to go to school as they don't have ramps and no lifts or a down syndrome adult unable to go to university as they're discriminatory to him and how it can impact them i.e. no ramps in school means that the child will be missing out in learning or the down syndrome adult dropping out of uni. Then discuss how they can overcome i.e. for the wheelchair child they can implement stairs and lifts or the down syndrome adult classes about raiseing awarness for people with down syndrome

C.M3 Analyse how provision and support provided for one child and one adult with different additional needs have benefitted
them

Statutory provisions are anything that has been provided or made as law by the government, for example, equality act, care at 2014, common assessment framework (CAF), benefits, financial assessment framework, talk about any, job seeker allowance, child and family act 2014, personal health budget. The discuss how these can benefit one child and one adult you are doing, for example, if they're struggling with money they might need to apply for universal credit, of a child who has a disability you might need a common assessment framework (CAF)

For example, the common assessment framework (CAF) benefits children with autism as.... (then talk about CAF)

C.M4 Analyse how statutory provision has impacted on current practice in caring for one child and one adult with different additional needs

For this you can talk about how statutory provision for a child and an adult have impacted the laws of caring children and adults with different additonal needs

DISTICTION

A.D1 Evaluate the significance to the individuals, their families and society of a diagnosis of additional needs

Talk about the significance that the child and adult additional needs affected themselves, their families and society referring to the case study you may add the positives and negatives i.e. a child in a wheelchair can affect them as they will lose they self esteem as they would feel left out (how does this affect them physically, cognitively, emotionally and socially)

BC.D2 Justify the support and adaptations provided for two individuals with different additional needs to help them overcome challenges to daily living, with reference to statutory provision

Discuss WHY the support and adaptations in the case studies that you've chosen and recommended helped them to overcome challenges to daily living, by referring to the staturory provision

BC.D3 Evaluate the impact of providing support for two individuals diagnosed with different additional needs in improving their wellbeing and life chances

For this you should treat it like a conclusion, talk about the impact of providing support for both of your case studies by disscussing the things you said throughout the assignment.

Then discuss how these things you talked about throughout your assignment improved their well being and life chances (or not).

Hope this helps x

Unit 4: Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care
Unit 5: Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs
Unit 7: Principles of Safe Practice in Health and Social Care
Unit 8: Promoting Public Health
Unit 11: Psychological Perspectives
Unit 14: Physiological Disorders and Their Care
Unit 18: Assessing Children’s Development Support Needs
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starlight15
Before doing this essay make sure you chose two case studies that you want to do given by your teachers (one child and one adult) read both of them carefully.

PASS

A.P1 Explain diagnostic procedures to determine additional needs for one child and one adult with different additional needs

Use this book to help you answer this question or this if you don't have the book and use a specific diagnostic procedure for each case study to determine thier additional needs.

Define social construct then talk about society's and people's attitudes towards disability in general, you can also be specific to societies attutiseds towards certain disabilities (optional: you can apply the laws into it i.e. Equality Act 2010)

B.P3 Describe how health or social care workers can help one child and one adult with different additional needs overcome challenges to daily living

Do one paragraph for adult and one paragraph for child. Then discuss what health care professionals each of the case studies may need to help overcome daily challenges. i.e. a paralysed child from the neck down may need a residential nurse to help with personal care or a social worker may provide a one floor house for a wheelchair adult.
Clue: Page 40 to 42 has a list of health care professionals that you can use. Page 42 to 48 have list of ways you can support people with addtional needs that you can use for your case study

C.P4 Explain the benefits of adaptations and support provided to one child and one adult with different additional needs

Talk about the benefits of making adaptation and providing support for one child and one adult in your case study i.e. the benefit of a one floor flat for an adult wheelchair user is that the can move around more and not struggle in going up the stairs.

C.P5 Explain the impact of statutory provision on the support provided for one child and one adult with different additional needs

Read page 48 to 51 to give you an idea. Then explain how these statutory provisions can affect the support provided for the two case studies that you've chosen. For example the Care Act 2014 impacts adult additional needs as it enables individuals requiring additional care to ask a friend, a family member or someone else of their choice to provide that care, rather than someone provided by the local authority

MERIT

A.M1 Assess the requirements of one child and one adult with different additional needs

Look at both of your case studies and say what requirments they have had to support their additional needs i.e. if your case study has a health care professional supporting them you can add it as it shows your assessing the case study.

B.M2 Assess the impact of challenges to daily living that may be experienced by one child and one adult with different additional needs, and how effectively these challenges are overcome

In each case study discuss the challenges to daily living i.e. a child wheelchair unable to go to school as they don't have ramps and no lifts or a down syndrome adult unable to go to uni as they're discriminatory to him and how it can impact them i.e. no ramps in school means that the child will be missing out in learning or the down syndrome adult dropping out of uni. Then discuss how they can be ovecomed i.e. for the wheelchair child they can implement stairs and lifts or the down syndrome adult classes about raiseing awarness for people with down syndrome

C.M3 Analyse how provision and support provided for one child and one adult with different additional needs have benefitted
them

Study about the provision and support provided for children and adults in detail then say hoe this benefits the case studies you've chosen by referring to it. For example, the common assessment framework (CAF) benefits children with autism as.... (then talk about CAF)

C.M4 Analyse how statutory provision has impacted on current practice in caring for one child and one adult with different additional needs

For this you can talk about how statutory provision for a child and an adult have impacted the laws of caring children and adults with different additonal needs

DISTICTION

A.D1 Evaluate the significance to the individuals, their families and society of a diagnosis of additional needs

Talk about the significance that the child and adult additional needs affected themselves, their families and society referring to the case study you may add the postivites and negatives i.e. a child in a wheelchair can affect them as they will lose they self esteem as they would feel left out

BC.D2 Justify the support and adaptations provided for two individuals with different additional needs to help them overcome challenges to daily living, with reference to statutory provision

Discuss WHY the support and adaptations in the case studies that you've chosen and recommended helped them to overcome challenges to daily living, by referring to the staturory provision

BC.D3 Evaluate the impact of providing support for two individuals diagnosed with different additional needs in improving their wellbeing and life chances

For this you should treat it like a conclusion, talk about the impact of providing support for both of your case studies by disscussing the things you said throughout the assignment.

Then discuss how these things you talked about throughout your assignment improved their well being and life chances (or not).

Do you have the assignment for this

PASS

MERIT

Look at both of your case studies and say what requirments they have had to support their additional needs i.e. if your case study has a health care professional supporting them you can add it as it shows your assessing the case study.

In each case study discuss the challenges to daily living i.e. a child wheelchair unable to go to school as they don't have ramps and no lifts or a down syndrome adult unable to go to uni as they're discriminatory to him and how it can impact them i.e. no ramps in school means that the child will be missing out in learning or the down syndrome adult dropping out of uni. Then discuss how they can be ovecomed i.e. for the wheelchair child they can implement stairs and lifts or the down syndrome adult classes about raiseing awarness for people with down syndrome

them

Study about the provision and support provided for children and adults in detail then say hoe this benefits the case studies you've chosen by referring to it. For example, the common assessment framework (CAF) benefits children with autism as.... (then talk about CAF)

DISTICTION

Talk about the significance that the child and adult additional needs affected themselves, their families and society referring to the case study you may add the postivites and negatives i.e. a child in a wheelchair can affect them as they will lose they self esteem as they would feel left out

Oh wow this is so helpful for students! I’m in year 12 so I’ll be doing unit 12 next year :biggrin: Are you in year 13 currently? How are you finding the subject?
Original post by khadra2000
Do you have the assignment for this

No I lost mines unfortunately

Original post by Hazelly
Oh wow this is so helpful for students! I’m in year 12 so I’ll be doing unit 12 next year :biggrin: Are you in year 13 currently? How are you finding the subject?

No I'm in first year studying Early Years Education (I've done a course at my uni last year but didn't enjoy it)

But I really did enjoyed H&S Care it's so fun!
No I lost mines unfortunately

No I'm in first year studying Early Years Education (I've done a course at my uni last year but didn't enjoy it)

But I really did enjoyed H&S Care it's so fun!

I hope you're enjoying this degree!

Health and Social Care is so good with lots of additional placement that you can get involved with :biggrin:
hey girls! have any of you complete unit 7? XXX
Original post by summerchedgyx

I’m currently doing it yes :smile:
my ap1 is different to the above, mine is to explain the implications of a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting.
my ap1 is different to the above, mine is to explain the implications of a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting.

I think it might be best to make a new thread for unit 7 so more people can read it and help you? :smile:

Can you help me for unit 7? I'll help you too

Everything - I have done P1 and P2
I'm doing Merryvale
Original post by Hazelly
I think it might be best to make a new thread for unit 7 so more people can read it and help you? :smile:

Original post by Keri00Summers
Can you help me for unit 7? I'll help you too

Everything - I have done P1 and P2
I'm doing Merryvale

Hey :smile: I'm currently making a thread for unit 7 but I need someone to post the questions for Learning Aim A, B, C and D so I can help :smile:
Hey :smile: I'm currently making a thread for unit 7 but I need someone to post the questions for Learning Aim A, B, C and D so I can help :smile:

do you mean the P1, P2, M1, D1.... what they ask us to do
do you mean the P1, P2, M1, D1.... what they ask us to do

Yep :smile: like below for example

"A.P1 Explain diagnostic procedures to determine additional needs for one child and one adult with different additional needs"

"A.P1 Explain diagnostic procedures to determine additional needs for one child and one adult with different additional needs"

Unit 7 Assignment 1 - Part 1

P1 Explain the implications of a duty of care in a selected health or social care settings.
P2 Discuss ways in which complaints and appeals procedures address failure in a duty of care in a selected health or social care settings.
M1 Assess the importance of balancing individual rights with a duty of care in a selected health or social care settings
D1 Evaluate the significance of a duty of care and complaints procedures in promoting safe practice in a selected health or social care settings.

Case Study: The Merryvale Residence
(edited 3 years ago)

Unit 7 Assignment 1 - Part 2

P3 Describe the types and signs of abuse and neglect that may be experienced by different individuals.
P4 Explain the factors that may contribute to and reduce the likelihood of abuse and neglect for service users in health and social care.
P5 Explain how to respond to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care settings.
M2 Assess the importance of recognising and responding to evidence or concerns about different types of abuse and neglect in health and social care.
D2 Justify procedures for responding to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care setting.

For P5 - It's Merryvale Residence + Zebra Ward
(edited 3 years ago)

P3 Describe the types and signs of abuse and neglect that may be experienced by different individuals.
P4 Explain the factors that may contribute to and reduce the likelihood of abuse and neglect for service users in health and social care.
P5 Explain how to respond to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care settings.
M2 Assess the importance of recognising and responding to evidence or concerns about different types of abuse and neglect in health and social care.
D2 Justify procedures for responding to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care setting.

Thank you I can start writing up each learning objective :smile:

How many case studies are there all together? Becuase I know you pick 2 of them
It's only two - The Merryvale Residence is my main one and the Zebra Ward is for P5

Since I have to write about both case studies for P5

How many case studies are there all together? Becuase I know you pick 2 of them
It's only two - The Merryvale Residence is my main one and the Zebra Ward is for P5

Since I have to write about both case studies for P5

Thank you :smile:
Sorry for delay, the images are taking longer than expected to be uploaded to my email

Quick Reply

Latest