The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread I

Poll

Favourite Doctor?

Doctor Who Speculation and Discussion Thread
Join society now! :tardis:

Information regarding spoilers: Discussion and speculation in this thread covers past, present and future episodes, therefore please use spoiler tags when posting a spoiler (for a future episode) such as a leaked image or piece of information about a twist. Similarly, if you are responding to a spoiler with your own speculation - please use a spoiler tag in return.

Series 5 - Episode Threads
Episode 1 - The Eleventh Hour
Episode 2 - The Beast Below
Episode 3 - Victory of the Daleks
Episode 4 - The Time of Angels
Episode 5 - Flesh and Stone
Episode 6 - The Vampires of Venice
Episode 7 - Amy's Choice
Episode 8 - The Hungry Earth
Episode 9 - Cold Blood
Episode 10 - Vincent and the Doctor
Episode 11 - The Lodger
Episode 12 - The Pandorica Opens
Episode 13 - The Big Bang
Favourite episode of Series 5

Series 6 - Episode Threads
Episode 1 - The Impossible Astronaut

Doctor Who - New Who Universe (2005 - Present)

The Doctor's incarnations
The First Doctor was a somewhat unreadable, guarded figure, irascible, protective of young women who reminded him of his granddaughter Susan, a brilliant but often short-tempered scientist and a keen strategist. Though far from invulnerable, he usually ran rings around lesser intellects. The Second Doctor was warm and wise, a sort of 'cosmic hobo', often as frightened of the alien menaces he faced as those around him. Frequently overtaken by events, he improvised his way out of trouble β€” but he also had a manipulative streak. The Third Doctor was more of a dashing figure than his predecessors, a dandy with a penchant for gadgets and martial arts, particularly Venusian aikido. His difficult relationship with the Brigadier softened to an easy mutual trust. He had a personal arch-enemy, the Master. Due to his exile by his own people, he spent most of his time on Earth. The Fourth Doctor was one of the most alien of his incarnations. He was something of a cross between Willy Wonka and the Mad Hatter, rarely without his signature scarf of incredible length. He was perhaps the most eccentric and progressed from bohemian vagabond to manic scatterbrain to a more mature and sombre figure, he also had a fondness for Jelly Babies. The Fifth Doctor was the most human of his incarnations. He had a fondness for cricket and wore a stick of celery on his lapel. He was somewhat more nervous and less sure of himself than the two previous Doctors, though all the more heroic for it. Like the Second Doctor, he often found himself backed into a corner and forced to figure out a way out. The Sixth Doctor was grandiose and eloquent incarnation. He sported a multi-hued wardrobe that looked as if it were designed by Christian Lacroix, had a manic personality and an acerbic wit which could shade into moral passion. He loved a good quote and rarely got caught off-guard by an enemy. The Seventh Doctor had a voice that was touched by a Scottish burr. He combined the vagabond nature of the Second and Fourth Doctors with the scientific brilliance of the First and Third incarnations. Armed with a keenly tactical mind, his personality deepened and darkened. He seemed, often, a demi-god walking amongst lesser beings, letting his companions know little, an avenging angel driven to eradicate evil at any cost. Of all the Doctors, he had arguably the most complex personality. The Eighth Doctor showed a romantic and sensitive side not evident in the previous Doctors. More morally flexible than his predecessor, this Doctor suffered bouts of amnesia, first after his initial regeneration and again after the first destruction of Gallifrey, following the War with the Enemy.

The Ninth Doctor was now a survivor of the Last Great Time War, he displayed much of the playfulness of the Fourth and early Seventh Doctors, but also had a pragmatism which could at times appear callous. This Doctor also seemed very conscious of the effects his actions had on those around him. His attire was considerably more conservative and less conspicuous than those of his predecessors, and his accent and attitude were more working-class. The Tenth Doctor showed a manic personality, was a bit of an eccentric crackpot and a cross between his Fourth and Ninth incarnations. He displayed hints of the Seventh with the style of the Fifth and a fondness for human pop culture reference. He had a serious side to him, but quite often his more playful traits would counter the serious unless in great danger. At times he would show other traits, such as ruthlessness and deep emotion. The Eleventh Doctor was far more outwardly alien than his predecessor, he is quite smug about his abilities and exhibits a renewed youthful enthusiasm for adventure. He possesses keen observational skills, as well as a penchant for making deductions in the manner of Sherlock Holmes, a skill he encourages in his companions.

Causes for regeneration
The Doctor has had to regenerate several times either by cause of injury, illness or a particular situation:

β€’

First Doctor (William Hartnell): Weakened by Mondas as it drained Earth's energy

β€’

Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton): Enforced upon him by the Time Lords as a form of punishment

β€’

Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee): Radiation poisoning from The Great One's web of Metebelis crystals

β€’

Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker): Plummeted from the Pharos Project radio telescope.

β€’

Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison): Toxemia from coming into contact with unrefined Spectrox

β€’

Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker): Injured when The Rani violently assaulted the TARDIS

β€’

Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy): Raced to hospital after being caught in the crossfire of a gang war with the subsequent surgery ending his life

β€’

Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann): Unknown, presumably due to his climactic actions at the climax of the Last Great Time War

β€’

Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston): Removed the time vortex from Rose Tyler, channeling it back into the heart of the TARDIS, only to discover its brief presence had ruined his cellular structure

β€’

Tenth Doctor (David Tennant): Absorbed the nuclear bolt's fuel supply in-order to spare Wilfred Mott

New Who Companions
[INDENT]Series 1 - Rose Tyler
Series 2 - Rose Tyler
Series 3 - Martha Jones
Series 4 - Donna Noble
Specials - Wilfred Mott
Series 5 - Amy Pond, Rory Williams and River Song (recurring)
Series 6 - Amy Pond, Rory Williams and River Song (recurring)[/INDENT]

Finales
[INDENT]Series 1 (Bad Wolf and The Parting of the Ways) - Dalek Emperor and his Dalek army
Series 2 (Army of Ghosts and Doomsday) - Daleks and Cybermen conflict in Torchwood
Series 3 (Utopia, The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords) - The Master returns
Series 4 (Stolen Earth and Journey's End) - Davros and Dalek army
Specials (End of Time) - The Master and the Time Lords
Series 5 (Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang) - Tardis exploding, cracks in time, Alliance of aliens create Pandorica to imprison the Doctor. Entity controlling Tardis unknown. Silence Will Fall unresolved[/INDENT]

Information taken and compiled from Tardis Wikia. More information available at: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Wiki

Pictures and gifs

Smilies

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ooo, I am sooo excited for this, but as I live in America I can't watch it on TV :frown: Life just isn't fair. And David Tennant is so good, I can't wait. Anyone see it? Is it actually any good?
Reply 2
Yeah was an alright episode. They are pretty strange episodes, branch out a lot.

Atleast it's original.
Not sure yet whether this series is going to be as good as last year, but if it isn't then it will be through no fault of Tennant's. He looks every inch the Doctor and is possibly THE only worthy replacement for Eccleston in British film/TV today.
that was a good eposode it going to be a good series
Reply 5
The radio times has a small walkthrough of the episodes in the series. Didn't read, but glanced.
So I'm now attracted to David Tennant, I didn't think I'd like him as much as Christopher, but he's a good actor. I really enjoyed it tonight, but the cats creeped me out a bit
Reply 7
Don't know about anyone else, but I was rather impressed :smile: David Tennant was suitably eccentric, and I liked seeing Zoe Wanamaker's character get a more satisfying ending (I always felt rather sorry for her). Look forward to the rest of the series.
Reply 8
David Tennant is very good looking :love:
Reply 9
I missed it! Will it be repeated???????????
uzi123

7.05 PM Sunday night, on BBC Three.
Reply 11
uzi123

BBC Three 7.05pm on Sunday 16 April

EDIT: Expression is quicker than the human eye
Reply 12
I thought it was really good, I was a bit worried it wouldn't live up to last series but it definitely did!

sand man, the issue of bad wolf was resolved at the end of the last series (it was a message which Rose left heself throughout time), it's been widely speculated that they'll probably have another mystery this series, my guess is it'll have something to do with the face of boe and the big secret which he will tell the doctor.

Also, the list of guest stars isn't totally right I don't think. I say this because I glanced at it and I believe Andrew Hayden Smith is meant to be in more than one episode (I could be totally wrong)

Oh, and is anyone else looking forward to the return of K-9?!!!
David Tennant is such a cool guy, he should be on my TV more often.
Reply 14
lessthanthree
god, I adore anthony head.

:ditto:
~Bex~
:ditto:

Some really funny moments, espeically when cassandra went into the doctor's body. he was great!
Rose was lots of fun, too.
I'm looking forward to next week's!
Reply 16
Thanks p00p and Expression!
Reply 17
lol in Wales they had in big bold white letters

"MADE IN WALES BY BBC WALES

on the title credits! cracked me up :p:
Reply 18
I loved last night's episode! David Tennant and Billie Piper have managed to achieve really good chemistry plus the episode had the right balance of humour and horror. I also loved the ending...it was really moving. I now have a slight crush on David Tennant, what a lovely smile. :smile: *can't wait 'til next week*
Great episode, didn't see Cassandra coming back which was a good surprise. Can't wait to see ther return of K9!!!!!

Latest