The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mentis Venator
The reason why the Ninth or Tenth Doctor didn't go back to prevent the Daleks from being created is because he already did it as the Fourth Doctor (See Classic Series - Genesis of the Daleks), he didn't wipe them out at birth as it would mean that he was no better than they were, besides, it might have an few negative ripple effects (other than the Reapers coming for him or the Time Lords hunting him down for messing with the timeline without their permission) and might prevent or at least alter the appearance and circumstances of his Ninth regeneration.

I think his words were something about all the alliances that were formed against the Daleks - positive consequences of their existence. He also said if you went back in time and saw a child that you knew would grow up to be an evil, twisted world leader who would cause the deaths of millions, could you kill that child? - which were interesting questions. Genesis of the Daleks is a good watch, actually - it's darker than most of Tom Baker's stories and quite epic (6 episodes long) but it's a fun story to watch. It also has Sarah Jane in it, who does a good job of keeping her head for the most part, and Harry who is lovely :biggrin: I'd recommend it.

The explanation for the Reaper things in Father's Day was that there were two versions of Rose and the Doctor present when she saved her dad's life, which created a weak point. The explanations in that episode were a bit garbled, though; the writer said that meeting yourself was a paradox, which it isn't (the paradox was saving her father, because then he would live which wouldn't give her a reason to save him so she wouldn't go back and save him so he'd die, etc etc - in fact this story created a paradox because he didn't die alone in the end, and his dying alone was what had motivated her to go back... man, time travel screws with your mind).
i thought dr who couldnt go back to the same place and time he'd already been, for example if he went to london in the year 1983 he couldnt go back to that era. if that makes sense? don't he and rose just end up in places cos there's some kind of gap that ends up getting closed after a while? and so they can't return.

Yes, like in 'Father's Day' they go back to the same time again and see themselves which means there's two of them there....and look what happened with those reaper things...it's just an all-around bad idea, which is why the doctor won't do it.

Hashshashin
No, that doesn't make sense. How many times has the Doctor visited contemporary Earth in the last series alone?

Not on exactly the same day though - Hralipour's explanation wasn't exact; he can't go back to exactly the same time. So he could go to Earth on 20th January 1983, then he could go back to 19th Jan if he went again, just not on the 20th. If that makes sense:redface:

Anyway, lighten up people, it's called science-fiction for a reason, there's no need to scrutinise it like this
Time travel screws with your mind because we live in the 3rd dimension not the 4th. If we did then time travel would be as easy as change in volume is to us now!
simatemcprimate
Time travel screws with your mind because we live in the 3rd dimension not the 4th. If we did then time travel would be as easy as change in volume is to us now!

I don't think it's been conclusively proved that time is a dimension, has it?
Looks like both the Cybermen AND at least one dalek will be in 'Army of Ghosts / Doomsday', judging from the fact that these Cybermen are identical to the ones in 'Rise of the Cybermen' / 'Age of Steel' and the Doctor in the preview clip after 'Fear Her' where he said that "one world is colliding with another", I suspect that they are from the same universe where Rose is a Dog (or at least a similar universe).

As for Rose, I suspect that she might die in this two parter (as Satan said in 'The Impossible Planet' / 'The Satan Pit' as this line was repeated in the preview clip), a pity, I liked her.

Judging from the preview clip, it looks like, to begin with, Torchwood will treat the Doctor as a prisoner, but might need him when their options fail. They might have the same belief towards alien tech as Nazi Germany did towards works of art, in the case of Nazi Germany, they believed that it was the property of Hitler, while in the case of Torchwood, they seem to believe that all alien tech that they capture is considered (at least to them) as their property. If Torchwood plays with fire, it'll end up burned (the pun was unintentional, so please don't bother pointing that out).

It looks like the Doctor might've been a bit "off" when he said that the doors to parallel universes closed when the Time Lords were destroyed. That sphere, both mentioned in Doctor Who Magazine and shown in the preview clip might have something to do with it, might even be a Time Lord Artifact that ended up on Earth.

Considering that it scares even the Doctor, it's THAT bad. On the plus side, these "Ghosts" are NOT the Gelth (from 'The Unquiet Dead') they were completely different. I suspect that this sphere might be some kind of "Dimensional Portal" that mixes different universe with ours, sorry, only theorising, I don't have all the info yet, we'll have to wait...(quiet voice) seven days...(Normal Voice) before we find out for certain.
Reply 185
Clickies.

Not sure if this article has been posted before, but it looks like she dies. Little annoyed as was avoiding spoilers and the headline in the paper gave it away.
The trailers at the end of tonight's episode pretty much implied her death though I though - what does everyone else think?
Reply 186
I think that they have been implying that Rose will die. What with the devil saying that. Also, with the doctor saying that you never know when Rose said that nothing can split the two up. I don't think Rose will survive. But do you think that the doctor knows of this?
My younger brother has a feeling that Rose will die too, and doesn't like that idea much.
I think Rose will die as well,and i cant say i'd be disappointed if she did.
Anyway,back to yesterday's episode:i havent been a fan of most of the episodes in the series so far but this was marginally better than the other episodes except the bit where the monster in the cupboard is defeated by singing,i just found that lame.
and when are Rose and the Dr going to visit places that arent in Britain?its getting ridiculous because most of the time this is the only place they go to,dont any other places exist?
Anyone notice that in the Preview Clip, the Cybermen were almost identical to the ones in the previous two parter (main difference - these have energy rifles). I suspect that these ghosts are actually from other earths, just as these Cybermen might be from another earth (the earth in the previous two parter or similar earth).

If that wasn't enough, at least one DALEK has to make an appearance, good, at least we know that not all of those sink plunger and egg whist weilders have been wiped out by UberRose in 'The Parting of the Ways'.

What next? REAPERS?!
I got the impression from the preview that the fate of the world will be left in the hands of Rose and in order to save it from the CYbermen etc she will have to sacrifise her own life
Reply 190
I have 2 say that the episode yesterday was definately way better than last saturdays episode! I think that Rose will die because if you noticed, during the trailer at the end of the episode of Doctor Who yesterday, she said something about 'the last tale i will ever tell' or it was something along those lines. :frown:
Reply 191
Also the devil from two weeks ago when saying what happens in everyones future said to Rose 'the one who will fall in battle'

BTW Im on holiday to America this week, so any ideas if Dr Who is being shown over there
Reply 192
I liked last week's episode though. It ran like a self-mocking episode of Friends. Maybe I'm just bored with monsters. They're all the same, and I do think that vanquishing (yeah, I watch too much Charmed...) the devil twice in two weeks is taking it to extremes...
Hard to see the future is, constantly in motion it is! :biggrin:
Reply 194
Oh god yodas back lol.

Maybe we should set up a Doctor Who society if there isnt one already.

I'm hearing rumours that its a Black dalek thats appearing. Which would be fantastic! Check out the wikepedia article on the Tenth Doctor for more little tit bits.
Sheggy
Oh god yodas back lol.

Maybe we should set up a Doctor Who society if there isnt one already.

I'm hearing rumours that its a Black dalek thats appearing. Which would be fantastic! Check out the wikepedia article on the Tenth Doctor for more little tit bits.

Yeahhhh Dr Who soc!! Definitely.
Reply 196
i don't think rose is gonna die. she's got another series yet hasn't she? it's a shmae if she does cos ii liked her. still that means we get another companion.
definately set up a soc!!!:smile:
JollyJo
i don't think rose is gonna die. she's got another series yet hasn't she? it's a shmae if she does cos ii liked her. still that means we get another companion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5082668.stm
Whatever happens I think we can all agree that it's going to be really good
Reply 199
Yeah, it does look gd- from seeing the trailer at the end of the last episode, last saturday. Its a two parter right??

Latest