The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4480
meskell
Well then back to my original question, why is it possible for them to look like a plant, if they are meant to look humanoid? Surely it would be better quality writing to say they don't know how they will look after the regeneration, but they will look humanoid.

-------------------

Has there ever been a male to female or vice versa Timelord regeneration?

I missed your original post regarding a "plant?". I haven't watched the new series much because like most Americans, I'm a fan of the very old very English series. :biggrin: Although we saw all the Time Lords and they all looked human. They just have two hearts, and an lethal allergy to aspirin. The way RTD has messed with the essence of the show it may not be surprizing if this has changed. Gallerfrey was supposed to be eternally indestructible because it existed outside of time. The Tardis could work without it's existence because it's power source (a black hole) was on Gallerfrey. etc etc

I've never heard of a sex change Dr. regeneration but it's likely to happen in future given what the present Dr. asked about his sex, and that it would not be PC to have a male Dr. forever.
Leopold Bloom
If she was Donna, how did she get involved in the time war and become a fully fledged timelord? It doesn't make any sense. The mother explanation fits far better with his 'look' simply being one of reflection and the music not actually being coincidental (it's not reserved solely for Donna!).

As for the episode, it was alright, but I'd have preferred the timelords to stay and it was all a bit too star warry for me.

She has time lord DNA, hence she didn't change. No that doesn't. Actually, can you point to the episode as yeah pretty much it is used for Donna.
I cried.
Ape Gone Insane
:rofl:

You've just proven you can't understand a simple fact.

Stop quoting me.

The point is things can get through the time lock, like the Daleks.

You stop quoting me.

P.S. Anyway, its not real. This is a big waste of my time. But, yeah the music.
Reply 4484
Saff123
I missed your original post regarding a "plant?". I haven't watched the new series much because like most Americans, I'm a fan of the very old very English series. :biggrin: Although we saw all the Time Lords and they all looked human. They just have two hearts, and an lethal allergy to aspirin. The way RTD has messed with the essence of the show it may not be surprizing if this has changed. Gallerfrey was supposed to be eternally indestructible because it existed outside of time. The Tardis could work without it's existence because it's power source (a black hole) was on Gallerfrey. etc etc

I've never heard of a sex change Dr. regeneration but it's likely to happen in future given what the present Dr. asked about his sex, and that it would not be PC to have a male Dr. forever.

I originally mentioned them having wheels for fingers :p:

I just meant that it is pointless having the point in mythology that they can regenerate as 'anything' but they only regenerate as humanoids. It is adding to the mythology without any need to what so ever.

And yes I imagine there will be a female Doctor in the future, and judging by the BBC's track record. She will be muslim, wearing the full burkha, in a wheelchair and either lesbian or asexual. I haven't decided which way they are going to go yet.
Reply 4485
Colonel Brusnahan
I have no idea. I have watched very little of the old series. There are at least two references in your post that interest me into looking further.
It's rubbish in the late 80's which is why they killed it off. The older series, were superbly written.
The Tardis cloaking device is broken (thus it looks forever like a phone box), and the DR. can't fly it very well because his not the most academic Time Lord so he can end up anywhere! He does have an adventurous spirit and heart (unlike his people), even if that's not always enough to save everyone. And sometimes he has to retreat becaus ethe universe is cruel (it was much darker).

It was quite unlike any other Sci-Fi show for generations.
Saff123
It's rubbish in the late 80's which is why they killed it off. The older series, were superbly written.
The Tardis cloaking device is broken (thus it looks forever like a phone box), and the DR. can't fly it very well because his not the most academic Time Lord so he can end up anywhere! He does have an adventurous spirit and heart (unlike his people), even if that's not always enough to save everyone. And sometimes he has to retreat becaus ethe universe is cruel (it was much darker).

It was quite unlike any other Sci-Fi show for generations.

He retreated! Really haven't seen that in any of the new series I don't think.
Reply 4487
meskell
I originally mentioned them having wheels for fingers :p:

I just meant that it is pointless having the point in mythology that they can regenerate as 'anything' but they only regenerate as humanoids. It is adding to the mythology without any need to what so ever.

And yes I imagine there will be a female Doctor in the future, and judging by the BBC's track record. She will be muslim, wearing the full burkha, in a wheelchair and either lesbian or asexual. I haven't decided which way they are going to go yet.
lol on the highlights. That may be enough to really draw me in again...:p:

Perhaps it was just a a play at humor by the new Doctor, and not a fundamental change in mythology. I have already said how much I dislike the tedium of "I am the last Time Lord" alteration to the mythology and I was hoping RTD had returned to his senses having them return. I wasn't though expecting them to all be evil which is even worse :frown: and then banished again single handily with get this "a revolver". :rolleyes:
Reply 4488
Saff123
lol on the highlights. That may be enough to really draw me in again...:p:

Perhaps it was just a a play at humor by the new Doctor, and not a fundamental change in mythology. I have already said how much I dislike the tedium of "I am the last Time Lord" alteration to the mythology and I was hoping RTD had returned to his senses having them return. I wasn't though expecting them to all be evil which is even worse :frown: and then banished again single handily with get this "a revolver". :rolleyes:

I know what you mean! Why didn't he just use the gauntlet and kill the Doctor. The Doctor was not needed for the return of Gallifrey anymore and he was the only one that could stop them. All he had to do was point and grumble and Gallifrey would of been back in all its glory.

I have to admit I would of liked to have seen the Time Lords returning in all their glory.
Although with this return I can understand why they came back 'evil' as they had been stuck in an eternal war, feeling death, returning only to killed in another way. (Although I don't think that whole sequence was quite explained but hey it was RTD so I imagine he did his lacklustre best....)
Reply 4489
Colonel Brusnahan
He retreated! Really haven't seen that in any of the new series I don't think.
Yeah, there are few, one where he and his companion (also his daughter) et al have to run back to the Tardis being pursued by Neolithic violent cavemen (representative of the cruel dark side of humanity), and it ends.

One where he tries to civilise a world and end a war. Again only to meet with the extremism of entrenched hatred and he leaves. I know it's not feel good factor, but it was more real. See Israel/Palestine.

Quality Sci-fi reflects our world. The BBC used to be leaders in Drama. I wish as I've said they take more risks.
I probably shouldn't mention this because it will just cause more rows, but didn't I read somewhere that the Doctor was half-human, on his mother's side :erm:

Also, there has been at least one notable, albeit brief, non-humanoid Time Lord/Lady. Romana went through a few regenerations before settling on her second appearance.
am i the only one who noticed that the production team re-used previous regeneration ideas for this episode?

Radiation absorption - taken from Planet of the Spiders (The Pert's last regular episode - 1974)

Crashing into a planet and re-visiting important characters from that Doctor just prior to the regeneration (albeit the original was far faster) - both taken from The Caves of Androzani (1984 - Davison's last one)

Clothes changing with the regeneration sequence - taken from the very first regeneration of Hartnell into Troughton at the end of The Tenth Planet (1966)

Oh, and could the production team PLEASE not make a habit of each regeneration being the (slightly obvious) idea of flames bursting out of him - each regeneration of the old series was different from each other so there's absolutely no reason whatsoever that the Doctor's biological code should change slightly so that from the 9th/10 regeneration onwards each regeneration sequence should be the same.
Saff123
Yeah, there are few, one where he and his companion (also his daughter) et al have to run back to the Tardis being pursued by Neolithic violent cavemen (representative of the cruel dark side of humanity), and it ends.

One where he tries to civilise a world and end a war. Again only to meet with the extremism of entrenched hatred and he leaves. I know it's not feel good factor, but it was more real. See Israel/Palestine.

Quality Sci-fi reflects our world. The BBC used to be leaders in Drama. I wish as I've said they take more risks.

Yeah, there's very little "quality drama" on UK television nowadays, ever since the death of the single play. Every other new show lately seems to be a rehashing of old ideas. The Execution of Gary Glitter was apparantly very good (haven't seen it yet) but my lecturers feel like there's little good drama here anymore. It's part of the reason I think I might try and get work in America making television, because it's just not as good here. We don't seem to put enough money in to it :frown: It's the license fee's fault!
Simplicity
She has time lord DNA, hence she didn't change. No that doesn't. Actually, can you point to the episode as yeah pretty much it is used for Donna.

She doesn't have time lord DNA, she has time lord essence. She doesn't have two hearts. She can't appear in two places at once. Her getting to Gallifrey during the time war is a logical fallacy. How would the Doctor know she was that time lord and, it would seem probable that if he could notice that she was Donna, then he would've noticed that Donna was that time lord...since the time lord came before Donna and the time lord clearly knew who the Doctor was. The fact that she was immediately knocked unconscious and then forgot all about the entire existence of time lords would render her even becoming a time lord a logistical nightmare - what point of the timeline did she become one? Why would she become one? That woman being his mother makes a lot more sense and has a lot less loose ends than that being Donna.
Reply 4494
meskell
I know what you mean! Why didn't he just use the gauntlet and kill the Doctor. The Doctor was not needed for the return of Gallifrey anymore and he was the only one that could stop them. All he had to do was point and grumble and Gallifrey would of been back in all its glory.

I have to admit I would of liked to have seen the Time Lords returning in all their glory.
Although with this return I can understand why they came back 'evil' as they had been stuck in an eternal war, feeling death, returning only to killed in another way. (Although I don't think that whole sequence was quite explained but hey it was RTD so I imagine he did his lacklustre best....)
Absolutely. Quit with the "long arch villan monologe" and kill the protagonist alreday, it was very 1980's action movie. Getting rid of the Time Lords, is akin to ridding yourself of the Federation in Star Trek.

I can see why he did it, to focus on the lonesome wonderer travelling without a home. However I think it gets tedious, the DR. is supposed to be in a constant struggle with his stubborn people and the Daleks.

Even evil Time lord may have made for a better show...a decent antagonist. meh' I dunno. Lets see how the new guy measures up with RTD exit, and I believe Torchwood is back.
Ape Gone Insane
Anybody catch the Weeping Angels reference when Dalton was speaking?

"They would cover their faces in shame like the weeping angels of old"

I did and was immeditaly like..'Hold on...did you just say Weeping Angels?!?'

Simplicity
Its pretty obvious.

She has red hair. She contacted Donna grand dad. Secondly, she stopped Doctor killer the Master, which is similar to what she did to stop Doctor dying in the episode with the archanoids. Lastly, the biggest clue is that when he looks into the persons eyes the Doctor hears the same music that Donna hears.

Lastly, the gun.

P.S. Note, also Donna isn't human as she would have changed into a copy of the Master.

If it is Donna then how does she go into the Timewar and even back in time to Gallifrey? Is it exactly the same? Have you played them one against the other?

I quite liked parts of the episode as a whole but the ending I was thinking hold on theres still 10 minutes left! Then wtf.

And since when has Martha been with Mickey?:confused:
Ok, they really didnt need to milk the ending like that, it see why they did it, but it went on forever.

Sad DT is gone though :frown:
Reply 4497
LastLordofTime
Yeah, there's very little "quality drama" on UK television nowadays, ever since the death of the single play. Every other new show lately seems to be a rehashing of old ideas. The Execution of Gary Glitter was apparantly very good (haven't seen it yet) but my lecturers feel like there's little good drama here anymore. It's part of the reason I think I might try and get work in America making television, because it's just not as good here. We don't seem to put enough money in to it :frown: It's the license fee's fault!
It's all about taking risks. the BBC in particular seems risk averse (they have a cash cow in the licence fee).

"Life on Mars" was a rare exception, superbly written overall. If you look at US shows like "the Wire" very low budget it's spectacular because HBO takes risks like they did with the Soprannos (Mob boss seeing a therapist?). At least it still does with comedy, but the influence of the British drama as dwindled with this generation.

I love the premise of the Dr. it has great promise, but it's no Battle Star Gallactica. Oh well maybe in the next decade. :P
Reply 4498
SirMasterKey
I did and was immeditaly like..'Hold on...did you just say Weeping Angels?!?'

If it is Donna then how does she go into the Timewar and even back in time to Gallifrey? Is it exactly the same? Have you played them one against the other?

I quite liked parts of the episode as a whole but the ending I was thinking hold on theres still 10 minutes left! Then wtf.

And since when has Martha been with Mickey?:confused:

Admittedly this quite shocked me because I would of thought marrying two straight people of the same race to eachother was anathema to RTD!
Ape Gone Insane
Somebody was not paying attention.

The Time War was timelocked. Anything inside the time war, if it gets out so can others. The Master and his drumming hence the Time Lords.

Donna was not in the Time War :h:

Apparently the woman was the doctor's mother.

Latest

Trending

Trending