The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That's some sort of watermark for the online version of the trailer. It's not actually part of the preview :smile:
Is it just me or are there echoes/references to greek mythology in this series so far? Obviously, some of them are a bit tenuous.

1. The Pandorica which supposedly contains something evil and in a way couyld refer to Pandora's box which was actually a jar, but oh well.

2. Amy is Pandora or in a way, Amy signifies Pandora because of her avid curiosity. In The Beast Below, she says she could never resist a closed/keep out sign and in Vincent and the Doctor she follows The Doctor twice despite telling her not to, suggesting a deep seated curiosity which is similar to the curiosity that leads Pandora to open the box/jar. So maybe Amy opens the Pandorica either because she thinks the Doctor is locked in and she needs to save him or because curiosity gets the better of her and she unleashes what ever is in there.

3. Amy is hope and somehow saves the day. Hope is the last thing in the Pandora's box when evil is released into the world, and Amy or Amelia somehow saves the day as she gives hope. We've already seen her save the day or be other's people hope or saviours ie in The Beast Below figuring out that the starwhale chose to save earth, Victory of the Daleks - helping Bracewell to engage his emotions and thus shut down the bomb and in Vincent and the Doctor, well that's pretty explanatory. Plus there's been a number of 'there's still hope' comments from the Doctor.

4. In Vincent and the Doctor, we see the Doctor using the mirror type gadget to search for the monster which is quite similar to how Perseus killed Medusa. That's probably just coinicidence of methods rather than a deeper spoiler type meaning but who knows?

5. In the alcove of the museum, there's the statue of Perseus holding the head of Medusa.

:holmes:

And in the non-greek mythology, there's the whole 'not just some madman' or 'I am a madman with a box' comment about the doctor which could suggest that he gets locked in the Pandorica.

Crazy stuff? I'll just lie down with my crazy thoughts. :getmecoat:
Greek letter Omega too :ninja:

But yeah, we've mentioned the whole hope thing before, but with the theory that the crack takes people in to the Pandorica and Rory will be the hope left at the bottom, but your idea of Amy being hope certainly makes sense (especially since everyone seems to complain that Amy keeps saving the day - it would give a reason as to why).

The Moff has often said this is like a fairy tale - whose to say it isn't a Grecian fairy tale?
Ape Gone Insane
Great points but on the opposing end of the spectrum, sci-fi shows always borrow from its own genre and the fantasy genre. Many shows can be said to be based on the premise of the Wizard of Oz if you look closely.

True, but is Dr Who really a true sci-fi show? :holmes:

Yeah I read that, although the digital spy article took his comments groslly out of contetxt.

Proper sci-fi or not, it's defintiely awesome.
It's definitely more of an escapist, fantasy programme that incorporates science-fiction elements.
Keep it simple. It's sci-fi. :colonhash:
New series of Torchwood has been greenlit for Summer 2011 :biggrin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood_new_series/
sleekchic

Any leather? :teeth:

Spoiler

Btw I've just heard that Matt's costume evolves in the next series. There's a coat and scarf. I'm not sure what else but he does adopt a fez in the finale, albeit briefly.
sleekchic
Btw I've just heard that Matt's costume evolves in the next series. There's a coat and scarf. I'm not sure what else but he does adopt a fez in the finale, albeit briefly.

Sounds like they're Tom Baker'ing him. I don't think its necessary as he already has a styled specific to this regeneration already and tbh i think it suits him.
DoktaUH
Sounds like they're Tom Baker'ing him. I don't think its necessary as he already has a styled specific to this regeneration already and tbh i think it suits him.

I don't think they are Tom Baker'ing him in any way shape or form. Besides off the top of my head, there have been at least three doctors who have gone down the whole coat/scarf route. I believe McCoy and Hartnell had scarves which were used occasionally.

Plus Matt Smith has had a lot of leeway on his choice of outfit because at first they wanted to fit him into a pirates costume or so I hear.

Granted his current style suits him, but there's nothing wrong IMO with adapting or changing the style slightly with each series.
Yeah, having the outfit evolve makes sense. They made small changes to Tennant's outfit (colour of shoes + suit. Tie/no tie etc.)

That could just be for a specific episode. Perhaps he ends up on a planet where those clothes are required. Or perhaps he will land somewhere he presumes is somewhere else and dresses for the place he was meant to go (e.g. Rio XD).
A thought about the next episode, could it be that wire thing from series 2 with the Magpie Electricals? I mean we already know that Magpie Electricals is still around due to one part of the tardis (I think that moveable screen thing?) has magpie electricals on it and it was in the 2nd episode.

Having just rewatched the trailer it suddenly occured to me it sounded and looked a bit like when the electric creature was stealing peoples faces.
SirMasterKey
A thought about the next episode, could it be that wire thing from series 2 with the Magpie Electricals? I mean we already know that Magpie Electricals is still around due to one part of the tardis (I think that moveable screen thing?) has magpie electricals on it and it was in the 2nd episode.

Having just rewatched the trailer it suddenly occured to me it sounded and looked a bit like when the electric creature was stealing peoples faces.

Nah, it'll be something new. The wire thing wasn't interesting enough to bring back I don't tihnk.
Screen grabs from the finale posted elsewhere on the internet. http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac301/lbotez/Pandorica%20Opens/

I think some of the embargoed pictures will be released this weekend and the rest in the run up to the finale.
I just saw some pictures for the next Adventure Games game thingy, about the cybermen, and noticed that the chestplate is different;

No cybus logo ...
sleekchic
Screen grabs from the finale posted elsewhere on the internet. http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac301/lbotez/Pandorica%20Opens/

I think some of the embargoed pictures will be released this weekend and the rest in the run up to the finale.

Those cybermen are definitely cybus ones though ... And you can actually tell from those pictures that their stunt doubles are riding the horses XD
LastLordofTime
I just saw some pictures for the next Adventure Games game thingy, about the cybermen, and noticed that the chestplate is different;

No cybus logo ...

The original Cybermen (the aliens, not the androids) seem to be coming back.

Latest